PDA

View Full Version : MM20 Bandsaw question

Barry Londrigan
04-09-2005, 12:12 AM
I received my MM20 about three weeks agao and have yet to even wire it up since I am in the middle of installing a wood floor in my garage. Tonight I started to fool with it and I tried to lower the telescoping blade guard assy.,it is "locked in place" by two roll pins that keep it in the up position. The manual is terrible and does not mention anything about these. Am I supposed to remove these? I feel that I am since I would not be able to lower the assy if I don't. How do I remove them if so?

John Scane
04-09-2005, 12:50 AM
Hi Barry,

I have a MM20 and I got a pretty good manual from the Yahoo MM users group. Here is a link to sign up. You will find a lot of info there. The updated manual is in the "files" section, It is very helpful!

I don't remember having to take anything off of my blade gaurd telescope to make it move. I just had to loosen the knob that locks it and it telescoped freely.
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/MiniMax-USA/files/

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/MiniMax-USA/

I hope those work

good luck,
John

Mark Singer
04-09-2005, 12:56 AM
I remeber the same description as John with my Agazanni...just loosen the lock screw and it should move up and down with the rack and pinion screw....John cool avatar photo:cool:

Barry Londrigan
04-09-2005, 8:50 AM
I am downloading the manuals and thank you. I think that they are the manuals that I already have and they do not show anything other than to just loosen and adjust. I wish I could post a picture as I would but this computer has a Java problem and won't let me for some reason. I removed the telescoping guard by removing the two allen screws and another small bolt and nut securing it so that I could get a view of what is happening. I did loosen the lockdown on the front (that drives into the keyway and locks it in place). More specifically, the shaft of the adjustment crank has a spring and a nut at the end.....in between the crank handle and this spring and nut is a collar with two small holes drilled into it. There is a roll pin driven into each one of these holes. When I tried to move the adjustment crank, these roll pins do not allow the crank to rotate and then let the telescope adjust. They prevent it from moving at all and without the guard on it is obvious that these are what is preventing movement. You can see these two roll pins in the parts breakdown....I am just not sure what their purpose is?

Ken Salisbury
04-09-2005, 8:56 AM
I wish I could post a picture as I would but this computer has a Java problem and won't let me for some reason.

You should still be able to upload photos directly from your computer to SMC. See this post:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=132416#post132416

Jim Becker
04-09-2005, 9:02 AM
Barry, when I got my MM16, the telescoping blade guard didn't work "smoothly" and often got "stuck" all the way up or somewhere else. This was solved by completely removing it, soaking it in mineral spirits and then thoroughly cleaning the shipping grease and cosmoline off it in all the "hidden places" and then reassembling it to the saw and adjusting it's alignment. That solved it. And yes, you want the manual from the Mini Max Yahoo group. It's much clearer and was created specifically because the one from Italy...umm..."is bad".

Barry Londrigan
04-09-2005, 9:16 AM
Thanks Ken...I will try.....something odd I just noticed....The manual is slightly different. These roll pins I am referring to are part numbuer 5 in the breakdown. In my manual, there ARE two of them and they are driven into each side of this collar assy. There is also one for the gear you can see in the drawing. In the manual you directed me to, there is only ONE pin. I am wondering if the drawing in the first manual is a mistake and that in assy. someone copied that mistake? I would assume that ONE roll pin should go through the collar and shaft and that the roll pin should be flush on both sides with the collar. What I have is two roll pins protruding about an inch out of either side of the collar and they do not allow that crank to turn as the immediately hit the sides of the main casting assy (part number 23). This can't be right.

Jim Becker
04-09-2005, 9:18 AM
Barry, if you're still confused, call Rob Taylor at Mini Max--he's the technical support person. If you don't have his direct number, PM me.

Barry Londrigan
04-09-2005, 9:19 AM
Thanks Jim, I can see that the manual is different. I just replied to that effect. I have removed my telescoping guard to see what is holding this up. These roll pins are the culprit...I am assuming it is an assy mistake with the two roll pins sticking out of either side of the collar...can anyone verify? I am thinking of driving one pin all the way through and driving the other one out....

Cecil Arnold
04-09-2005, 9:25 AM
I think you are really missing a benefit of being a MM owner. Call customer service and those guys will work with you and if there is a problem will talk you through any fix that you are comfortable with doing yourself. If they can't get it working by phone, then a friendly MM rep will show up on your doorstep and it will work when he leaves. You may have to wait a week or so for the rep to get there, but he will come if necessary. The MM folks are nothing if not service oriented.

Barry Londrigan
04-09-2005, 9:30 AM
I will try to post a pic...

Cecil Arnold
04-09-2005, 4:38 PM
I just looked at my MM16, and I have two pins, item 5 in the drawing, that are inserted part way in the coller or bearing, item 6. They are oriented in a verticle position and their only function that I can see is to keep the collar or bearing from free spinning when the guard is raised or lowered. Unless they have been inserted too far in the hole and locked the rotation of the shaft, item 7, I would suspect you have another problem, possibly the chain jammed on the sprocket or even some "spare" part keeping the sprocket and chain from functioning as they should. I would not remove them perminently, even though I can't seem to visualize exactly why they are set up in the way they are. But then Italian logic is often different, not better or worse, just different.

Barry Londrigan
04-09-2005, 11:33 PM
Cecil

Thanks for the feedback. It is good to know that the collar is supposed to have two roll pins in it. I thought about the sprocket or a spare part catching it...but I do not think that is the case because it turns fine until the two roll pins stop it. I guess I thought that the collar was supposed to spin with the adjustment shaft. From what I can gather from what you have said, and that yours has two pins protruding from either side, I am taking it that the adjustment shaft spins free of the collar (or spins inside of this collar as the adjustment crank is turned) Is this correct? I am thinking you are on the right track with the roll pins being driven in too far..possible seated against the adjustment shaft (bolt) and preventing the shaft from turning inside the collar. What do you think?

Barry Londrigan
04-10-2005, 12:16 AM
Got it! Thanks to all the help here! You guys are truly great. I originally thought that the collar spun with the shaft but now know that it is not supposed to! That is the purpose of the two roll pins...they protrude out of this collar and there are bushings that fit inside the collar with a heavy guage sprink and a sel locking nut on the end....it's whole purpose is to adjust how how free you want the telescoping guard and guide post to move up and down when you adjust the crank. Mine was completely rusted tight thus the collar did not allow the shaft to spin inside of it. I completely removed the self locking nut and the spring....squirted WD-40 in and around it and then tapped and pryed and it finnaly broke free. re-assembled the spring and nut...adjusted for movement and now in business..Once again...thank you all.