PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 90 Maintenance Assistance

Greg McClurg
07-25-2012, 5:23 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to the woodturning hobby, and have acquired a PM90 with the riser blocks. I found an old manual online and have a question regarding the maintenance. The manual indicates you should be using 5-6 drops of SAE 10 oil each day you turn. I can't find any SAE 10 oil in my neck of the woods. Any suggestions? Also, what other maintenance should I be concerned about?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Greg

Roger Chandler
07-25-2012, 6:43 PM
I hope Mike Cruz sees this post of yours .........he completely restored a PM90 with riser blocks.......he might have your answers!

Jerry Marcantel
07-25-2012, 7:12 PM
I think 3-n-1 oil is 10 wt. Also, that zoom spout oil is a light weight oil in the 10 wt viscosity range..... Found at any local hardware store.............. Jerry (in Tucson)

Roy Turbett
07-25-2012, 8:07 PM
Greg -

I have three Powermatic 90's in my shop and use 3 in 1 oil as a lubricant. The oil is used to keep the sleeve lubricated. I also lubricated the sleeve with lubriplate when I had the lathe apart to replace the spindle bearings. The quill feed screw on the tailstock also uses lubriplate.

Its important that the fixed outer sheave is properly adjusted so the drive belt is no more than 1/8" from the top when the speed dial is in the stop position. Otherwise the lathe will start too fast. If this can't be done without the fixed sheave touching the moveable sheave, its time to replace the belt. Also be sure that the allen screw on the fixed sheave is tight. If its not tight the sheave will spin and wollow out the sheave.

Be sure to keep the speed dial screw tight. If its not kept tight the variable speed roller will have a tendency to ride on the outer edge of the speed dial cam and cause it to wear. Sometimes woodchips will get in the spindle lock housing which makes it difficult to put the speed dial on with the safety lockout pin in place.

I also use paste wax to keep the ways from rusting.

Gary Max
07-25-2012, 8:55 PM
Greg try NAPA for your oil.

Dale Miner
07-25-2012, 9:13 PM
automatic transmission fluid.

Greg McClurg
07-25-2012, 9:49 PM
Thanks everyone for the input.

Roy, I appreciate all the detail. I haven't done any maintenance yet, but will look over the areas you have suggested.

I've been woodworking for years, but am looking forward to turning.

Greg