PDA

View Full Version : Carter Steady Rest

Andrew Kertesz
07-25-2012, 7:07 AM
It looks like the new Carter Steady Rest is now available. I know many saw it at the symposium and it looks well thought out. It carries a pretty hefty price tag of: $359.99. My only thought is why they only used 3 wheels instead of 4, or does it really matter. I have no experience using a steady rest but it just seems like 4 wheels would provide more support. Any thoughts on the quality of this rest?

Tim Rinehart
07-25-2012, 9:34 AM
The key roller in steady rests is the one on top. My "Jeff Nicols design" steady has 4 wheels and I typically need to remove the one at 10:30 when hollowing with captive rig/laser. I rig another wheel temporarily to be at 12:00 while that one wheel is away. I think there are some inherent advantages with 'more wheels', i.e 4 or more, especially as a piece starts getting larger, but for most of us, I think the 3 wheel versions are more than adequate and provide a good compromise with access while hollowing and projecting a laser.

Bernie Weishapl
07-25-2012, 10:03 AM
I have the Nicol steady and it has 4 wheels. The one at 10:00 on mine is moveable. So when I use the laser it is easily moved one way or the other and still have four wheels on the wood.

John Beaver
07-25-2012, 10:37 AM
I think you can put as many wheels on it as you like. You can also move the wheels to anywhere you want.
It's a very clever design.

Jerry Marcantel
07-25-2012, 12:43 PM
It could be that a tripod is the most stable thing on the planet. It's self stabalizing, easy and quick to set up. You also don't have that wheel in the way of the laser...... . Heck, Oneway steadies only have 2 wheels, and they work pretty good, otherwise they wouldn't be selling them. That's my 2 cents..... Jerry (in Tucson).

Thom Sturgill
07-25-2012, 1:13 PM
It appears that the "Multi-Rest" as they call it is designed as one-size-fits-all. This requires that the wheels be able to come together any where along a line from top to bottom to match the various turning radiuses of different lathes. I suspect that getting the wheels to align gets more complicated with extra arms, and limiting it to three just simplies setup (as well as reducing manufacturing cost).

Joe Meirhaeghe
07-25-2012, 1:20 PM
I have seem the Carter, clever looking design ,however it looks to be flimsy to me. Being able to open it up is just a marketing gimmick to me & serves no real practicable purpose in actual use.
If your looking for a HEAVY DUTY steady rest look at the ones made by Advanced Lathe Tools, available from http://www.thesandingglove.com/
That's what I use & I have turned logs weighing over 400lbs with it. Heavy duty wheels & bearings,( no cheap skate board wheels & bearings) used here. also heavy steel frame If I remember right I think it's 3/8" thick steel. ( no light gauge steel here ) You wouldn't be disappointed.

Roger Chandler
07-25-2012, 1:59 PM
My Nicols steady rest is like Bernie's.........the 10 o'clock arm is movable to accommodate a laser for hollowing.......just reposition it when using a laser attachment.........super design and build by Jeff!

Ronald Campbell
07-27-2012, 8:30 PM
Carter steady rest. Yes it is shipped with only 3 wheel assemblies. These wheels can be move anywhere on the rest and additional wheel assemblies can be added. The wheels are sealed bearing and they are the same as they use on their band saw guides. I have been using the Multi Rest from Carter for the last 6 months and I am happy with it. The separation of the wheel I do like. I can use it as a bowl steady and put two wheels on the back bottom. Yes it does look flimsy but it is aircraft grad aluminum and it has been fine. Not sure if there is any tool that can be used for all turnings. I might not put a 40 pound log on it but then again I have not tried it either.

Bill Wyko
07-27-2012, 8:39 PM
I got to see this set up in person at the AAW symposium. All I can say is, it has to be the most well thought out steady rest I've ever seen. Light weight yet extermely solid, adjustable in so many ways and the top 1/2 can be hinged back for easy access to your project. It can also be adjusted to go from one lathe to another so you don't have to sell it when you upgrade lathes. I have a Keith Clark right now but it'll be going to work for the other lathes i have. I'll be getting one of these asap for the PM4224. The KC one for my 1424 jet must weigh 40+lbs. I can't imagine how heavy the one for my PM4224 would weigh. IMHO the Carter was really one of the highlites of the symposium. And the price is very reasonable compaired to others out there with much less features. Check out their other tools too, all very well designed and a real pleasure to use.