PDA

View Full Version : How do I fix this?

Brian Brown
07-24-2012, 10:47 PM
I made a goblet from lace wood, banksia pod, and ebony. The stem is ebony. I made the stem with a short tenon to fit into a mortice on the cup. I used CA glue to glue them, and it was so hot out the glue hardened instantly. The problem, is that the cup is slightly crooked on the stem. How do I get the glue joint undone? I can't use heat, because the other joints could fail. I thought about soaking it in acetone, but I don't know if the acetone will cause any fading of the wood, or running of the color. Any other thoughts? By the way, all of the other joints are glued with titebond II.

neil mackay
07-24-2012, 11:18 PM
Acetone will melt the glue and I dont think it will effect the colour as you havent dyed the wood. Any discolouration would only be surface and a very light rub over with a very fine paper would bring it back if its needed.
Only CA is affected by heat as far as I know, trying giving the titebond people a ring to see if its heat affected.

Jim Burr
07-25-2012, 12:06 AM
Come on Brian...no pictures...no nuthin'! It really may help to see a progression of your glue up to see the issue and help out.

Kathy Marshall
07-25-2012, 1:53 AM
Brian, you can use CA debonder. I've done something similar and the debonder worked. You just have to work your way down the tenon. Acetone should work too, I think it just evaporates a little quicker.

Steve Schlumpf
07-25-2012, 6:02 PM
Brian - with the stem being turned out of Ebony - I would just hold the goblet steady and give the stem a quick twist. I have had similar problems with finials and the CA holds great but isn't designed to withstand any shearing action... in my opinion. I've done the quick twist routine on Ebony, Cherry and Blackwood finials - probably a lot thinner than your stem - and it has worked every time.