PDA

View Full Version : No 53 - Ant Pool II, It's Finally Finished.

James Combs
07-24-2012, 9:29 PM
Another but shapelier Ant Pool, #II. This is the one that leaked (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?189060-I-Never-Even-Considered-the-Possibility&highlight=) into my pressure pot.

It is made from three separate pieces of walnut, the bottom, the upper, and the spout. The resin is Alumilite in two colors, blue and violet. The shape is a little different but it grows on you.:D I have a video of me turning the outside after I got down to the resin, it is rather funny, I would like to show it but not sure what the best way is. I may have to sign up for a YouTube account.:eek:

Be sure and tell me what you think of this one.:)

The bottom is finished but was not in these photos, the usual name, date, species. The finish is WTF, its my first use of it, I think I am in love again, don't tell SWMBO.

C&C appreciated.

Steve Busey
07-24-2012, 9:37 PM
Wow, great save from the leak! Yea, I'd like to see the video of how you did that (especially hollowing out the inside?). I think you can sign up for a youtube account and post a private video that only people with the link can see.

James Combs
07-24-2012, 11:09 PM
Wow, great save from the leak! Yea, I'd like to see the video of how you did that (especially hollowing out the inside?). I think you can sign up for a youtube account and post a private video that only people with the link can see.

Steve, thanks for the YouTube info. I registered and uploaded the video, it can be seen here (http://youtu.be/K3oov-2hBj8).

Bill Hensley
07-25-2012, 7:17 AM
JD it's a beauty. Well done on the save and finish. I'm slowly warming to the shape.

The shape reminds me of the old smudge pots they used years ago when doing road construction.

Russell Eaton
07-25-2012, 8:07 AM
Nice turning. I like the video as well. It looks like you were tangled in a large spider web.

Steve Busey
07-25-2012, 8:27 AM
That video made me smile. :) I've done lots of acrylic pens, but it's interesting to see how much more ribbons come off a big vessel like that! Nice look for you, James! :rolleyes::D

Just curious about your interior mold - was it a hollow sphere? I guess that would have made it easier to hollow the finished vessel - or did you just leave the interior sphere in place?

Good job with the WTF too - I'm definitely going to have to get a refill soon - I only bought a small bottle to try it out. Now I don't even reach for anything else (besides a base of BLO).

Alan Trout
07-25-2012, 9:51 AM
James,

That was a nice save. I have had forms leak before but not after casting and setting up in the pot. I had one come apart on me putting it into the pot and I lost 98oz of resin but saved the piece as well. Having done this for a while I can assure you that I look like the "Monster From The Black Lagoon" or the "Swamp Thing" every time I turn one of these things. The shavings are so full of static. The dust is pretty nasty so be careful of yout lungs. That is the main reason I own a Trend Pro helmet.

Alan

Bernie Weishapl
07-25-2012, 10:00 AM
That is a beauty and a great save JD.

Mike Cruz
07-25-2012, 10:15 AM
I'm gonna have to stare at it a while longer for it to grow on me. ;) But the finish looks great. The video was fun to watch. More fun than I can imagine it would be to have been were YOU were standing...

Richard Madden
07-25-2012, 4:37 PM
Great looking piece...I like. After watching the video it's a wonder you could see what you were doing with all those "stringies" covering you.

Tom Winship
07-25-2012, 8:05 PM
A new translation of "Spider Man". I'm still looking at the piece. Beautiful, but the blue and the wood are kind of different, JD.

James Roberts
07-25-2012, 8:14 PM
Very nice piece JD, the form is a bit different, might take a while for it to grow on me but I like the colors a lot. The video sort of channels Spiderman a bit. I would not have waited as long to get the stringies off my face shield, kind of like to see what I'm doing.

James Combs
07-27-2012, 10:26 PM
My apologies for taking so long to acknowledge your posts but with the weather here in Kentucky my internet has been down for two days.

JD it's a beauty. Well done on the save and finish. I'm slowly warming to the shape. The shape reminds me of the old smudge pots they used years ago when doing road construction.
Thanks Bill, but I have to agree that it is not one of the more traditional shapes but that is how it turned out using two different halves and trying to match them up.:rolleyes:

Nice turning. I like the video as well. It looks like you were tangled in a large spider web.

That video made me smile. :) I've done lots of acrylic pens, but it's interesting to see how much more ribbons come off a big vessel like that! Nice look for you, James! :rolleyes::D
Just curious about your interior mold - was it a hollow sphere? I guess that would have made it easier to hollow the finished vessel - or did you just leave the interior sphere in place?
Good job with the WTF too - I'm definitely going to have to get a refill soon - I only bought a small bottle to try it out. Now I don't even reach for anything else (besides a base of BLO).
Russel/Steve, just trying to compete with Spidy.:D:rolleyes:
Steve the inner core was solid wood except for the 1" fill hole I put through the center of it. I had to hollow the resulting solid out just like if it had been a solid piece of wood. I hollowed out wood until I started hitting resin. The "threads" I took out of the inside were similar to what was piling up on me in the video except these came out all bunched up. Here are some photos.
After only a few seconds of hollowing I have to remove the tool and clean the threads off. Then I had to take a pair of tweezers and pull out the remaining threads. I was only able to turn a few seconds at a time once I hit the inside layer of resin.

James, That was a nice save. I have had forms leak before but not after casting and setting up in the pot. I had one come apart on me putting it into the pot and I lost 98oz of resin but saved the piece as well. Having done this for a while I can assure you that I look like the "Monster From The Black Lagoon" or the "Swamp Thing" every time I turn one of these things. The shavings are so full of static. The dust is pretty nasty so be careful of yout lungs. That is the main reason I own a Trend Pro helmet.
Alan
Thanks Alan I was wondering if you had had the wonderful experience of a leak:confused:, should have guessed with the number you have made.;) So far I haven't noted any dust but strings aplenty. If you watched the video you saw how I was dressed. So far no problem with dust. Also if you noticed in the video my dust collector intake is right at my wast between me and the lathe so it keeps most everything(except stringies) away.

That is a beauty and a great save JD.
Thanks Bernie. Had too much work in it to loose it.:o

I'm gonna have to stare at it a while longer for it to grow on me. ;) But the finish looks great. The video was fun to watch. More fun than I can imagine it would be to have been were YOU were standing...
Mike it is ok to stare at it I keep vacillating myself on it. Sometimes I think it is very beautiful other times not so much.

Great looking piece...I like. After watching the video it's a wonder you could see what you were doing with all those "stringies" covering you.
Richard the video was made more for fun so I did over run the stringies "just a little".:rolleyes: If you note I stop in the middle as if to see if the amount was enough and then decide that it was not quite enough yet and turn some more.:rolleyes:

A new translation of "Spider Man". I'm still looking at the piece. Beautiful, but the blue and the wood are kind of different, JD.
Tom it it helps there is some purple as well.:D

Very nice piece JD, the form is a bit different, might take a while for it to grow on me but I like the colors a lot. The video sort of channels Spiderman a bit. I would not have waited as long to get the stringies off my face shield, kind of like to see what I'm doing.
Thanks James, see my comment to Richard above.:rolleyes:;)

Billy Tallant
07-27-2012, 11:23 PM
All I can say is "WOW"! Love that save you made!

Michelle Rich
07-28-2012, 6:14 AM
I love the color combo..very appealing

Steve Schlumpf
07-28-2012, 9:30 AM
The form is different - but the color combination is a winner! Cool video! Looks like you were working inside a cotton-candy machine!

James Combs
07-28-2012, 10:25 AM
All I can say is "WOW"! Love that save you made!
Thanks Billy, too much in it not to try and save it.

I love the color combo..very appealing
Thanks Michelle, always appreciate the female perspective.

The form is different - but the color combination is a winner! Cool video! Looks like you were working inside a cotton-candy machine!
Thanks Steve, cotton candy, I knew there was something else it reminded me of, now I realize what it was.