PDA

View Full Version : LOML has a finishing question...

Todd Davidson
04-08-2005, 8:49 PM
hi, i have a question about a drum i am carving out of a cherry log (about 3 feet in height and 19 inches in diameter when i started). i have been using end grain sealer wax to prevent checking during the carving process, but now that i am almost finished with the drum i am wondering if the linseed oil i had planned to finish it with is enough to keep it from checking or if i should use something else. thanks, kim

Tim Sproul
04-08-2005, 10:53 PM
No.

I'd check turner's forums - they often turn green wood and have worked out techniques and finishes to minimize/mitigate checking during the drying process.

John Hart
04-09-2005, 6:52 AM
Hi Kim and Todd,

Dave Smith started a thread back in Nov04 and while there's some controversy, his method is pretty solid. I've just started it and had good results. The thread address is http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13792

My personal discovery is the use of wood sealer on the outside of the piece. They say that you should wrap a paper bag around the ouside to stablize the moisture so that the drying is accomplished through the inside of the bowl. This takes the stress off the outside (sorta like the stress directing on an arch)
Anyway, I found that putting a wood sealer on the outside appears to be accomplishing the same task.
But don't take my word for it...I'm just experimenting. Dave is the real mastermind.
Good Luck

scott spencer
04-09-2005, 9:53 AM
Hi Todd - Seems like my wife always has finishing questions too....."when are you gonna finish this, and when are you gonna finish that"! Doesn't even have to pertain to wwing! ;)