PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used Abaco decking?

Pat Larkin
07-24-2012, 9:24 PM
Wondering if anyone has used abaco decking and if they have any tips or concerns about it. I'm planning to use ipe clips to install it and ,I plan to oil the bottom before install and the top after install so it doesn't warp (maybe I need to oil both sides and then do to top a second time to clean it up). My deck is on a slope, so parts will be close to the ground (about 10")..Is this going to cause me trouble with warping.

Thanks, for any help/info you can offer.

Lee Schierer
07-24-2012, 10:18 PM
I'm not sure you want to oil it at all. The wood is extremely dense and the oil will not penetrate the surface. Where I used to work we tested some oil treatments on Ipe and found that they did not penetrate even 1/32'" into the wood and the surface remained tacky for days. They don't recommend any chemical treatments and it seems to have a 25 year limited warranty. I would use the clip system rather than through screws and plugs.

Alan Schaffter
07-24-2012, 11:16 PM
The only treatment on my Ipe porch is the ends are waxed to protect against checking. Typically, once you apply a sealer or finish you must keep doing it every year or it looks like crap.

Pat Larkin
07-25-2012, 7:00 PM
What wax do you use for the ends? I assume if I don't oil the deck then it will go grey after a while.

Alan Schaffter
07-25-2012, 8:14 PM
What wax do you use for the ends? I assume if I don't oil the deck then it will go grey after a while.

I don't know what wax was used, but it looks like a paraffin that was melted and painted on. Ipe, like Teak, will turn gray if left unfinished, and I suspect Abaco will react the same way. Light sanding and I've heard pressure washing will restore the original reddish-brown color if you want to return it to that color and are willing to seal it every year to maintain it. The only maintenance-free material that will retain most of its color is a composite decking, but even that is susceptible to fading and mold/algea.