PDA

View Full Version : Mike Smith? Site down?

Jon Prouty
07-24-2012, 5:37 PM
Mike's site is not working for me... Anyone know if he is out collecting or something?

Jon

Marty Eargle
07-24-2012, 6:06 PM
Not sure about his site, but I know he spends summer on the west coast to avoid the miserable summers we can have here in NC. He also spends this time finding goodies for us to be. Last time I was at his place was near the beginning of June and he was about to leave. He'll be back at his place in about a month. Mike is great about responding to phone calls and e-mails though.

Upon checking...his site works fine for me. www.centurytreeturnings.com

Jim Burr
07-24-2012, 6:06 PM
He hasn't sent me wood for 8 months...thought he was out of business.

Jon Prouty
07-24-2012, 6:12 PM
Not sure about his site, but I know he spends summer on the west coast to avoid the miserable summers we can have here in NC. He also spends this time finding goodies for us to be. Last time I was at his place was near the beginning of June and he was about to leave. He'll be back at his place in about a month. Mike is great about responding to phone calls and e-mails though.

Upon checking...his site works fine for me. www.centurytreeturnings.com (http://www.centurytreeturnings.com)

That is so weird.... I tried a number of times today and now it seems to work fine. Glad to see we didn't loose Mike...

Jon

Scott Hackler
07-24-2012, 6:25 PM
I sure hope he makes it to SWAT. I have specifically set aside some funds for his booth!

Jon Prouty
07-24-2012, 6:56 PM
I sure hope he makes it to SWAT. I have specifically set aside some funds for his booth!
And I hope he makes it out to the AZ Desert Woodturning Roundup this February... I want to drop some coin at his booth.

Jon

Scott Hackler
07-24-2012, 7:10 PM
I could be mistaken, but I don't believe he was in San Jose. But it would seem that the expense of the booths, union labor issues and availablity of 240v for the booths....kept several vendors away.

Scott Hackler
07-24-2012, 7:20 PM
Jim Burr said (over on Woodturners America) that Mike Smith shut down his business. Sure hope we get confirmation on this. His site says
"As of June 6, I will be spending about 12 weeks on the West Coast searching for woods.
Please contact me by phone if you would like to place an order during this time."

Jim Burr
07-24-2012, 9:56 PM
I'd sure like to hear from him...8 months and no response to orders is a bit rough. It may be something else?? He's got my business!!

Marty Eargle
07-24-2012, 11:11 PM
I was at Mike's place literally two days before he went out west for the summer. He certainly isn't shutting down his business unless things have changed drastically since then as he told me when he'd be back so I could go out and see what he'd brought from the west coast. Mike does a fair amount of business for the small operation that he runs...so if you placed an order with him and haven't had a reply, e-mail or call again...it may have slipped through the cracks.

And yes Scott, Mike said that he would be going to SWAT before he settles back to NC. Try not to buy up all the best pieces he's sawed up.