PDA

View Full Version : Hanging a wall-mounted tool cabinet

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
07-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Getting my cabinet finished up, and I've got a mounting question.

I'll be using z-clips (http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=41869&cat=3,41306,41308) - sort of aluminum french cleats. I like the lower profile, and for whatever reason I've got enough of the strip material around to work for this.

With those, I'm not worried about the strength of the cleat material, (not that I would be with appropriately sized wooden cleats either) but the hold the fasteners have to the surfaces their attached to. The manufacturer states they've tested the zclips by mounting two 2x4s using four #8 x 3/4" pan head screws, and adding a load to the assembly - it failed at about 475 pounds, but that was when the fastner pulled out - there was no damage to the brackets.

The wall side is easy, I think. - use the longest screws that will work, and mount them into the studs. My studs are 16" on center in the place I plan on attaching them. I'm planning on using two cleats, one towards the top, one towards the bottom. I can probably fit two screws at each location where the cleat crosses the studs; so four screws for each cleat. I may add a toggle fastener or something in the middle behind the drywall; less for added support, but just for leveling and alignment purposes - by fastening just the center, I can more easily rotate the cleats until they're level before making the final attachments at the ends.

I think there may be a cross brace in the portion of the wall I'm looking at mounting to - if that's the case, I'll mount into that as well.

The cabinet side I'm little more wondering about. The cabinet has a 2'x4' piece of cabinet grade, 1/2" thick ply as the back. The dovetailed carcase is 3/4"ish thick poplar, rabbeted to accept the back. The back is screwed into the carcase with #8, 1 1/4" screws every four inches or so around the perimeter, as well as with those same screws into the back of all horizontal and vertical dividers. Dividers are a tight fit, dadoed and glued into the carcase and each other.

My question is how to best attach the cleats to the back of this cabinet.

The viable options I see are to

1) Use screws spaced frequently along the length of the cabinet, screwed into the plywood back. I wonder how sturdy this would be, given the back is only 1/2" thick.

2) Go through the back of the cabinet, and use bolts, nuts and washers to secure the cleats to the back of the cabinet. Not fond of this option because it exposes those nuts and washers on the inside show face of the cabinet. On the lower bracket, not such an issue because I can hide the nuts washers behind the drawers. I suppose I could hide the upper nuts behind some wood somehow.

3) Align my brackets and use longer screws, to screw both into the back of the cabinet and the carcase and horizontal dividers. Seems apt to be sturdier than option 1 because I can use longer screws if I go right into the carcase and dividers parts. It might limit my screw spacing somewhat because I'd have to work around the screws holding the back to the case. I suppose the only benefit of option 1 is that I could use more screws, but they'd have to be shorter, so I think it's a wash. I'd also have to make a note of where those screws where so I didn't hit them later on adding mounting points for tools to the cabinet.

Any opinions? I'm planning option 3, at this point, I guess, but I wonder if going with through-mounting with bolts would be better.

I know as I often do, I'm probably overthinking things, but I feel like it's probably better in a case like this to overthink it rather than have all my tools crash to the floor.

FWIW, according to my wife's bathroom scale (I have no idea how accurate it is, but at least it seems very consistent) the cabinet is 63 pounds, give or take. 20 of that is the doors. That's before tools, of course. I have no idea how much that will add.

I suppose I could order more and add a third cleat to this, but I might be forced to go with option 1 or 2 for that middle cleat, as finding a space for it could be difficult.

Richard Line
07-24-2012, 1:02 PM
My first comment is that using 2 cleats, spaced vertically, may not add much strength to the suspension. Getting the 2 cleats to share the load is quite problematical. Think in terms of maybe 80% of the load being carried by 1 cleat. To get equal (or nearly equal) loading sharing would require either very accurate spacing alignment of the cleats, both sides, or having some form of flexible/spring type mounting that would allow the loading to be shared. If you do go with an upper and lower cleat, think of the lower cleat as being a safety.

Secondly, fastening the upper cleat probably needs more than just the 1/2" ply. Consider whether you can add a doubler across the cabinet where the cleat will be located. The doubler could be on the back side, or course that would move the cabinet away from the wall. Glue the doubler onto the cabinet and then use screws that use most of the depth of both the cabinet back and the doubler. My personal preference would be through bolting, but then I just like through bolts for strength, its a personal thing. On the cabinet side, use as many screws as possible.

As a guess you will likely have somewhere between 1 to 2 times the weight of the cabinet in added tools, and adding the tools will move the load away from the plane of the wall, which will add to the pull out force on the screws. I suspect the manufactures test had the load applied at the cleat line and parallel to the wall's plane. That test would give the maximum load before failure.

Hope these comments help.

Rodney Walker
07-24-2012, 1:35 PM
On Option 2 acorn nuts may help with the appearance of the installation.
Option 3 or a combination of Options 2 and 3 sounds the best to me. Hit solid wood with a screw from the back where you can and thru bolt where you need to. As long as the work is neatly done the visual impact of the fasteners will be minimal.
I wouldn't trust just screws into the back of the plywood for that type of load.
Rodney
*Edit. Richard is right. The top cleat will carry most of the load. It will be a combination of shear and tension. The bottom cleat's load will be far less.
If the design and space permits, a strip of solid wood inside the top of the cabinet may allow you to keep the fasteners hidden while giving you the strength you need.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
07-24-2012, 1:44 PM
It also just occurred to me that I don't plan on moving this much. . . Maybe it just makes more sense to disregard the cleats and screw through the back directly to the wall . . .

Richard - the doubler is a great idea as well; do you feel the doubler is a sturdier option than screwing into the wood of the carcase or dividers inside in lieu of a doubler? A doubler would most likely allow larger diameter fastners than screwing into the 3/4" thick stock of the carcase. so that's a plus

Richard Line
07-24-2012, 5:16 PM
Richard - the doubler is a great idea as well; do you feel the doubler is a sturdier option than screwing into the wood of the carcase or dividers inside in lieu of a doubler? A doubler would most likely allow larger diameter fastners than screwing into the 3/4" thick stock of the carcase. so that's a plus

The doubler should allow you to use more screws and have them spread more uniformly than going into the carcase. I would try to use a hard wood for the doubler (oak, hard maple...) and as long a screw as possible. The hard wood should offer greater pull out resistance and thus greater overall strength. If the doubler is on the inside of the case, it will act somewhat like a large, distributed number of nuts and washers, and keep the joint between the case on the doubler in compression, which is good.

Running the cleat's screws into the carcass's top is a good option, however it will put all of the load into the top of the cabinet. Using the doubler, particularly on the inside will result in disturbing to load into the sides as well, via the case's back panel.

I'm probably going overboard on this, but I do so hate to have things fall off the wall.

Bob Jones
07-24-2012, 6:37 PM
Screwing it to the wall seems like the lowest profile and simplest thing.

Joe A Faulkner
07-24-2012, 7:25 PM
If you are open to going with a doubler, why not just go with a traditional 3/4" thick french cleat system? Screw and glue the cleat to the back of the cabinet. Mount the receiving cleat with 3 1/2" or 4" screws to your studs, and you are done. You decide later to relocate the cabinet, it is very easy to move.

FWIW: If or when you go to market your property for resale, if you plan to take the cabinets with you, you should take them off the walls or make it clear either in the listing or in the purchase agreement that they are "not attached" to the property and not included. Traditionally cabinets are considered to be attached to the property and part and parcel of it when a house and/or building is listed for sale.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
07-24-2012, 9:26 PM
Well, nothing wrong with a traditional french cleat, I just happen to have the z-clips material for whatever reason, and do happen and like the lower profile to the wall.

That said, even if I went with a 3/4" french cleat, if I was screwing it somewhere where I could only screw into the half inch ply back, I'd probably still want to double it up on the inside, I guess?

I thought I was getting to the point where I'd be hanging this soon - but I guess not - was applying the finish to the doors today and wondering why the left door was taking the finish so much differently than the right. Then I saw the wayward seam, and realized that somehow I managed to flip the left hand door's ply around, so the non-face side shows on the outside. After I spent so long figuring out how to make the grain on the ply I had flow with construction! It wouldn't be so much of an issue if I had managed to flip *both* of them - but I flipped only one. The mismatch stands out like a sore thumb, and while it's structurally fine, given it's placement, it's going to be the first thing I see every day when I walk into this room, and it's going to drive me nuts forever. After some hemming and hawing, I've decided I really need to take the darn door apart and redo that side. Hopefully I can salvage the ply in a fashion that I can redo just that door. I think some careful cutting with my oscillating saw, and a little heat as needed to release the liquid hide glue, and I can get the plywood panel out and make a new frame around the door. I figure the dovetails on this door will be even better, and I guess I can get the alignment a little more perfect this time, as I wasn't perfectly happy with it before. Guess I'll be sharpening my blades to prep more stock tomorrow.