PDA

View Full Version : SECO Shaper manual needed

Tim Tuttle
07-24-2012, 8:45 AM
I am in search of a manual for a 1995 SECO SK-32SP Tilting / Sliding Shaper. I do not understand the proper method for installing / removing the spindle. Spindle is tapered shaft that is held in place with a large nut that is Course thread on the bottom and Fine thread on the top. Does the nut go on the spindle first or the machine? Hopefully someone else has a similar machine that can help. I'm also looking for a used 3/4" spindle for the same machine if someone has an extra. Kufo does not have a manual but does have new spindles for it. Thank you.

David Kumm
07-24-2012, 10:04 AM
Seco's manuals are almost incoherent. Poor translations poorly copied. The spindle is not held by the top nuts. The bottom nut holds the cutter and spacers, the top nut holds the bottom one. To remove the spindle you need to open the access door in the front. Under the quill assembly you will see a bolt. That long bolt threads into the bottom of the spindle taper. Engage the spindle lock on the side of the machine- you may have to turn the spindle for it to engage- and either push or pull and turn it to lock. Then you can unscrew the boltpartially, tap it up to free the taper and then unscrew it the rest of the way.

Most important! Don't forget to release the spindle lock before turning the machine on. That was always the hardest part for me. Dave

Tim Tuttle
07-24-2012, 11:38 AM
David, this machine does not have a through bolt. In fact, there isn't even a hole for one. There is a large nut on the top of the quill with course threads on the bottom and fine threads on the top for the spindle to screw into. I have never seen one like it. Th problem is, when you tighten the nut one way, it loosens the threads on the other side. I'll try to get pictures. Thanks for the reply.

Mike Heidrick
07-24-2012, 11:42 AM
This sounds a lot like my spindles on my Stomana T1002S. Is yours MT4.

Here is a pic of my ER32 spindle - is it like this ony with a 1 1/4" shaft?

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/spindlehere1.jpg

I have never seen them used. Laguna sells them for the T1002S but I went to Bulgaria after this one (long story). If you have the same spindles and find a deal on some I want in :)

Tim Tuttle
07-24-2012, 11:45 AM
Mike, tapered part of spindle and nut are very similar. Upper portion is a plain 1 1/4 spindle. What is the proceedure to tighten the spindle? Is the nut course and fine thread? Thanks, Tim

David Kumm
07-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Tim, so there is no threaded hole in the bottom of the taper? On my old seco- smaller model than yours- the threaded rod only went about 1 inch into the taper from the bottom to lock it down. Dave

Mike Heidrick
07-24-2012, 11:57 AM
Yes. Coarse on bottom and fine that attaches to spindle. Thread the nut most of way up on the fine threads (DO NOT GO ALL THE WAY or even close to it. 3/4 of the way or so on the fine threads. Insert pindle in the shaper and screw the collar nut over the courase threads while spinning the spindel as well. The morse taper (MT) will seat, spindle shaft will stop spinning, and nut will still have a bit to go. Continue tightening the nut and it locks the MT/spindle in the shaft. It works because the travel on the two threads is different. Loosening works as well as the couse threads act to release the MT/spindle.

I have a manual for the shaper at home. Private message me your email address and I will send it tonight.

Google Zmm Stomana and you will see their machines - All their shapers and combo machines use this MT4 or a newer MT5 spindle like this.

Send me a link to your shaper manufacturer as well.

Mike Heidrick
07-24-2012, 11:58 AM
These spindles are huge. There is no drawbar. The one on the pic is tiny compared to the 1 1/4 as well. Ill show the Grizzly 3hp shaper spindle and the Stomana for comparrison.

Tim Tuttle
07-24-2012, 12:12 PM
PM sent. Thanks Mike

David Kumm
07-24-2012, 12:43 PM
Sorry to be talking about the wrong machine. Mine was an old 28sp, way different. Dave

Mike Heidrick
07-24-2012, 1:54 PM
Anyone have a picture of one or have a link to a picture?

Tim Tuttle
07-24-2012, 3:33 PM
Badge is missing from front. SECO SK-32SP237576237577237578237579

David Chynoweth
09-27-2016, 6:44 AM
The whole problem is drinking diet Cherry Coke. Really though I got a beefy Powermatic that the arbor mounts the same way but I'm sure you've figured it out in the last 4 years.