PDA

View Full Version : What the Forum Can't Do

Carl Eyman
04-08-2005, 6:28 PM
It is amazing and surprising to see how popular this segment of SMC has become so soon. It certainly seems to fill a need. I'd like to caution those that plead ignorance about finishing, that this forum cannot do what a good basic book like those by Jeff Jewitt or Mike Dresdner can do. These will give you the foundation that will make the tips given by the more experienced folks here more meaning. Truly, I can't stress the point too strongly. Finishing is not a case of going to the hardware store and buying a can of something and slapping it on. A good book of basics will make your journey in this field more pleasant. IMHO, of course.

Tom Pritchard
04-08-2005, 6:42 PM
It is amazing and surprising to see how popular this segment of SMC has become so soon. It certainly seems to fill a need. I'd like to caution those that plead ignorance about finishing, that this forum cannot do what a good basic book like those by Jeff Jewitt or Mike Dresdner can do. These will give you the foundation that will make the tips given by the more experienced folks here more meaning. Truly, I can't stress the point too strongly. Finishing is not a case of going to the hardware store and buying a can of something and slapping it on. A good book of basics will make your journey in this field more pleasant. IMHO, of course.

Good comment Carl. The two things that I like in a forum like this which can't be found in a book is 1)experience and 2)what do I do if something goes wrong. Sometimes the experiences of the most novice of WW'ers may save me at a time when I've wandered into territory that no book could ever imagine! It's also nice to get a little personalized support when things aren't going right, or an 'attaboy' when I've completed something I'm proud of. A good book is like a roadmap. It will generally tell you how to get from point A to point B, but there's nothing like a good corner servicestation to tell you what to do when your lost! :rolleyes:

Jeff Sudmeier
04-11-2005, 8:09 AM
Tom, you said it right. This forum, not only the finishing forum, but all of SMC can not teach a woodworker how to woodwork. However, it can give you an imense amount of best practices and guidance.