PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Denver know a good construction lumber yard?

Dan Friedrichs
07-23-2012, 6:50 PM
I had mentioned in the "Where do pros buy their construction lumber?" thread that I'm working on a deck. I'm trying to stop shopping at the BORGs, so I ordered lumber for this project from two different reputable yards. So far, I'm disappointed - poor quality stuff, and bad prices (like, I could buy better quality stuff at Lowes - if I picked through the stack myself - for half or 1/3 the price I'm being quoted by a yard - really!). I'm trying to place one more order to finish up the job, but want to try someplace else. Anyone in the Denver area have a lumber yard they recommend?

Dan Friedrichs
07-29-2012, 5:00 PM
Well, since I didn't get any replies, I'll just post some info for future reference:

I bought some treated lumber from Strait Lumber. It was soaking wet and pretty twisty, and about the same price as the BORGs. Friendly people, but nothing else that impressed me.

I bought some cedar deck boards from Front Range Lumber Co. It was pretty good, although many pieces weren't as straight as they would have been had I done the picking myself. Also nice friendly staff.

I needed some surfaced cedar 2x4s and 4x4s to finish the pergola part of the project, and apparently these just don't exist. I could get rough (fence grade) anywhere, but not surfaced. I ended up calling Adams Lumber in Centennial, CO. I believe I spoke with the owner, and he was very helpful. He called several suppliers, and ended up having stuff milled up for me. It's pretty good quality - the 4x4s, in particular, are dead straight. Prices were among the lowest I was quoted, as well. Excellent service, considering this was a one-time-job for a DIY'er. I'd recommend Adams Lumber.

Richard Wolf
07-29-2012, 8:24 PM
It's always disappointing when you have to fight the materials to do a job.

Rick Fisher
07-30-2012, 1:23 AM
Good to hear the fella from Adam's helped you out ..

What he did is what builder yards are supposed to do ..

On Friday I had a fairly big builder ask me to surface a Fir Timber for him .. it was basically 6" x 12" x 6' .. He wanted it S4S, probably for a mantle. Took it home, spent half an hour milling and dropped it at his house before 7:00 PM .. Had a drink in his back yard .. Got home by 8:00 .. :)

Philip Rodriquez
07-30-2012, 10:39 AM
Hi Dan,
Check out thedecksuperstoredotcom. If you want to avoid the borgs... they are a good option. Plus, their materials are stored indoors!

Dan Friedrichs
07-30-2012, 3:19 PM
I actually called the Deck Superstore. They do stock some cedar, but only in a select few lengths (like, 8' and 12'), which is why I ended up not using them.