PDA

View Full Version : Problems With Delta 14" Band Saw

Joe Meirhaeghe
07-23-2012, 5:32 PM
I have a 14" Delta Saw. The HINGE that's used to track the upper wheel broke on me. This is the 2nd time this has happened on this saw. Anyone else have this problem? or know why this keeps happening? What might I be doing wrong?
I'm looking for any help anyone could offer. Thanks.

Myk Rian
07-23-2012, 6:00 PM
You're over tensioning it.
Don't use wider than a 1/2" blade.

Joseph Tarantino
07-23-2012, 6:53 PM
call this guy:

http://www.manta.com/c/mmc3znn/iturra-design

he's forgotten more about band saws and related issues than any of us will ever know, IMHO. he will also help with a replacement part. lou is EXTREMELY knowledgeable where 14" delta BSs are concerned.

John Lifer
07-23-2012, 6:57 PM
You're over tensioning it.
Don't use wider than a 1/2" blade.

For sure you are overtensioning whatever blade you are trying to use. 1/2" is widest you should ever try on one of these.
No reason to use or try to use one wider.

Kevin W Johnson
07-23-2012, 7:20 PM
I have a 14" Delta Saw. The HINGE that's used to track the upper wheel broke on me. This is the 2nd time this has happened on this saw. Anyone else have this problem? or know why this keeps happening? What might I be doing wrong?
I'm looking for any help anyone could offer. Thanks.

Yeah, the hinge is just aluminum..... even with 1/2" or less blades, I think these saws could really use a tension quick release.

I had the same thing happen to the Porter Cable variant. In turn I bought a steel frame bandsaw to eliminate such problems.

glenn bradley
07-23-2012, 9:24 PM
I believe Iturra makes a beefy replacement for just this reason.

Martin Melderis
07-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Relieve tension when the saw is not in use, if you're not doing that already.

Joe Meirhaeghe
07-24-2012, 10:32 AM
Thanks everyone for your reply's. I was using a 5/8" carbide tipped blade that required quite a bit of tension to keep it from wandering. I guess I must have put to much tension it. The 1st time it broke I was running a 3/4" blade that also required a lot of tension too.

Joseph Tarantino
07-24-2012, 2:43 PM
those blades might be a bit much for a 14" BS.

James Heisbert
07-25-2012, 3:00 PM
Thanks everyone for your reply's. I was using a 5/8" carbide tipped blade that required quite a bit of tension to keep it from wandering. I guess I must have put to much tension it. The 1st time it broke I was running a 3/4" blade that also required a lot of tension too.

In regards with applying too much tension, will it not affect the blade and the blade speed?

Van Huskey
07-26-2012, 7:06 AM
Too much blade for that saw. The tracking arm is the Delta 14" saws achilles heel. Lou Iturra sells replacements and also makes a beefier one as mentioned.