PDA

View Full Version : 1st Leather Pen

Billy Tallant
07-23-2012, 4:24 PM
I've been wanting to make a leather pen for a while. Finally got around to it. I had a saddle strap break on me one day while riding. For some reason I never threw the strap away. Decided that would make a good pen. I needed a cutter to cut my leather circles out with. So I cut the end off of a .50 cal rifle casing. Ground that down to a nice edge & mounted it in my drill press. Cuts perfect circles of leather out for slimline size pens. I used whitetail deer antler for accent pieces. Then used a black chrome slimline pen. Finished the pen off with ca & plastic polish. Finished it around 11pm last night & sold it first thing this morning when I showed it off.

Deane Allinson
07-23-2012, 5:09 PM
Very very nice! No doubt that it sold so quickly. I guess that you will be making more. It has that hammer/hatchet handle look.
Deane

Jim Burr
07-23-2012, 6:04 PM
My hats off to you Billy!!! Haven't done one yet, but yours is making me drool. I have a twist on those I want to try and since I have a vaccum chamber.....

mickey cassiba
07-23-2012, 6:40 PM
Estwing's gonna sue you:)
Bill, that's perfect!

Bernie Weishapl
07-23-2012, 8:52 PM
Billy that is one cool pen. I can see why it went as fast as it did.

Roger Chandler
07-23-2012, 9:43 PM
Innovative tool you made out of the brass casing........nice work on that pen, Billy.......congrats!

Gary Herrmann
07-23-2012, 11:04 PM
Very nice. Been meaning to do that ever since I made leather washers for a chisel handle.

Sid Matheny
07-23-2012, 11:13 PM
Never been a big fan of the leather pens but your looks great!

Sid

thomas prusak
07-23-2012, 11:37 PM
You're the man! Plain and simple

Billy Tallant
07-24-2012, 12:13 AM
Very very nice! No doubt that it sold so quickly. I guess that you will be making more. It has that hammer/hatchet handle look.
Deane

Deane, thanks for the comments. Yes I will be trying a few more. It does have that hatchet look & once I sanded it down it had that nice hatchet feel. Then I started getting the finish on it...

My hats off to you Billy!!! Haven't done one yet, but yours is making me drool. I have a twist on those I want to try and since I have a vaccum chamber.....

Jim, thanks for the comments.

Estwing's gonna sue you:)
Bill, that's perfect!

Mickey, thanks for the comments!

Billy that is one cool pen. I can see why it went as fast as it did.

Bernie, thanks for the comments!

Innovative tool you made out of the brass casing........nice work on that pen, Billy.......congrats!

Roger, thanks for the comments. I kept meaning to pick up some type of tubing/pipe to make a cutter out of. Each time I got home from town I would remember the pipe I wanted. One day I decided I wasn't going to wait any longer & started looking in the shop to see what would work. This .50 cal is the perfect size for slimline pens.

Very nice. Been meaning to do that ever since I made leather washers for a chisel handle.

Gary, thanks for the comments!

Never been a big fan of the leather pens but your looks great!

Sid

Sid, thanks for the comments!

You're the man! Plain and simple

Thomas, thanks for the comments!

Bill Hensley
07-24-2012, 7:37 AM
That's a fine pen and really like the use of leather. I suspect the leather has a nice feel to it and will get better in time. Reminds me of an old Case knife I have.

Congrats on the quick sale of that beauty.

FYI, good punches can be made from a steel golf shaft.

James Combs
07-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Nice job Billy. Now I know what to do with all the little bits and pieces of antler I have left over from full antler pen barrels.

Billy Tallant
07-24-2012, 12:43 PM
That's a fine pen and really like the use of leather. I suspect the leather has a nice feel to it and will get better in time. Reminds me of an old Case knife I have.

Thanks for the comments Bill! Also thanks for that tip on the golf shaft. I've forgotten about them but I stored some golf shafts in my shop at one time. I may need to dig them out.

Steve Schlumpf
07-25-2012, 6:04 PM
Now that's original! Looks really cool Billy! Congrats on your sale!

Billy Tallant
07-25-2012, 10:29 PM

Thanks Bill for the comments. Yes it did have a nice feel to it. Now I'm itching to make another one...

Now that's original! Looks really cool Billy! Congrats on your sale!

Thanks Steve for the comments...

Tim Rinehart
07-26-2012, 8:25 AM
Very creative and super job of using the antler as trim pieces at the blank ends. Really adds a touch of class to this piece, and I expect it makes the transition to the bushings much easier as well.
I can see these being quite popular!

Billy Tallant
07-26-2012, 11:05 PM
Very creative and super job of using the antler as trim pieces at the blank ends. Really adds a touch of class to this piece, and I expect it makes the transition to the bushings much easier as well.
I can see these being quite popular!

Thanks Tim for the comments! It does help on the transitions.