PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma.......what to buy? Jet 1642 or PM 3520B?

Matt Coplan
07-23-2012, 2:50 PM
All,

Greetings. I havebeen lurker to this site and several others and unfortunately, my first post isasking everyone for advice. I’m in themarket for a new lathe and I’ve shortlisted my considerations to the Jet1642EVS-2 and the Powermatic 3520B. Ialso looked at the larger capacity Rikons but from what I have seen online, theJet and PM seem to have the best reviews and least issues. But, like many others who have been stuckbetween purchasing either the 1642 or 3520, I cannot wrap my head around theextra dollars for a slightly larger capacity in the PM. I primarily turn bowls, platters, andhollow-forms and I would rarely have the need to go beyond a 16” diameter. With that said, given the fact that I wouldbe able to outboard turn on the 1642 for those rare times I have the need orwant to go bigger, what are other significant specifications that the 3520B hasthat the 1642 does not? Obviously, thecapacity and weight are the big ones that immediately come to my mind. Does the PM have a significant qualityimprovement over the 1642? I’m simplylooking for a good lathe that has the capacity I need, the ability to addaccessories like coring systems and etc, and the quality and warranty that make me confident that this lathe willlast. I WILL spend the additional dollars on the PM, but it will have to makesense to me to actually do it. Anyfeedback would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Matt

Tim Rinehart
07-23-2012, 2:57 PM
Matt...go for the PM is my suggestion. I started with a 1642 and wanted a little more capacity for some larger work, but quickly realized after trying the 3520 that the extra weight was a big bonus on smoothness as well.

Don't get me wrong...the 1642 is an outstanding lathe, but if you can swing the extra bucks for the 3520, you won't regret it!

Bob Bergstrom
07-23-2012, 3:30 PM
I have owned a 3520 for 3 years and have demoed on the Jet 1642 numerous times. What Tim says is true, but there are some other things that I value on The 3520. First of all look at the drive belts. The Powermatic is wider which means less slippage, especially when coring and making heavy cuts on rough outs. The second and a big difference is the size of the banjo. The Jet seems to weigh maybe half of what the 3520 does. With the banjo fully extended the difference is immediately evident. This length and stoutness are a big help when reaching around the back side of a large bowl. The 20" under the spindle also allows you to slide the banjo under a 16" bowl. Look at the range that the tool rest can move up and down in the banjo. The Jet tool rest shaft sits above the tighting mechanism. On the powermatic it is offset and can be dropped quite a bit lower. It also seems to go to a higher level also. A big help when shear cutting on larger bowls. The gripping power of the 3520 is over a wider spanse and less apt to slip. It is these type of things along with the weight and just the over built feel of the 3520 that make a difference.

Mike Peace
07-23-2012, 3:51 PM
I believe the PM3520 has 3 bearings compared to the 1642 to handle the stresses of larger work. If you get the Jet you may always regret not getting the PM. I bought mine 4 years ago and paid what a Jet 1642 sells for now. Quality lathes will appreciate. Most of the stuff I turn could have been turned on a 1642. I smile every time I turn on my PM.

Mike Cruz
07-23-2012, 4:02 PM
If you can afford the PM, DO IT! The Jet is a nice lathe, but I don't think these two lathes are really in the same league...

Roger Chandler
07-23-2012, 4:08 PM
If you have the money, and a place to put it, go with the 3520b................you will never regret going bigger! The drive belts and pulleys are better on the 3520b and the banjo is better as has been stated by others on this thread.....

If I were going to get the Jet, I would go with the 2hp motor.

Steve Vaughan
07-23-2012, 4:10 PM
You said - "I would rarely have the need to go beyond a 16” diameter." The fact that you would "rarely" go beyond 16" is 'nuff said...PM.

charlie knighton
07-23-2012, 4:23 PM
Mike is right, the pm has 3 bearings where the 1642 has large and small bearing, that said its surprizing how well the 1642 holds up, you can not reasonable upgrade the bearings in the 1642 , but you can replace them pretty easily at machine shop

i was surprized at the dollar amount for the bearings of 1642 compared to total cost of lathe vs their importance to the function of the lathe

SKF 6207 2ZJEM SINGLE ROW BALL BEARING 1 ONLY $27.55
SKF 6205 2ZJEM SINGLE ROW BALL BEARING 1 ONLY $19.01

Hilel Salomon
07-23-2012, 4:31 PM
Almost everyone I know has upgraded their lathe since their first purchase. Rarely going over 16" doesn't mean that you won't someday wish to do so. It's easy enough to do 16" or less on the PM, but impossible to do more than that on the Jet. I have gone from a Vega to a PM 2320B in SC, and from a midi Delta to a Nova DVR in VA. I like both machines, but if cost weren't a factor, I would opt for the PM.
Good Luck whatever you choose.

Hilel

Kyle Iwamoto
07-23-2012, 4:51 PM
I had that same choice, and I did opt for the 1642. Going against the grain. Every once in awhile I do wonder IF I should have gotten the PM. The first time I mounted a 15" blank on my lathe I said, I'm glad I got the Jet. I would have gotten a 19" log and probably not been able to lift it onto the lathe had I gotten the PM. IF I get the urge to go bigger, I would keep the Jet and get a dedicated bowl lathe and skip the most highly rated 3520. If you have the bucks, I'd get it. But, that said, 800 bucks buys a lot of tooling too. Not many regrets for me. I don't think you'll be unhappy with either one. The banjo is the weak link on the Jet, I have to agree with that. I have turned on the PM, and it is a league above the Jet. Just my $0.02. Good luck!

Jeff Myroup
07-23-2012, 5:48 PM
I have a jet 1642. It is a very nice lathe. I mainly make platers and the largest I can do is around 14", because I use jumbo jaws to turn the foot and you just do not have the room to open the jaws for a bigger plate. I realize a vacuum system would alleviate this problem, but will get one after I upgrade my lathe. You will also find that with the 1642 stock tool rest you can not use a Jamison hollowing set up or a monster set up and have them perfectly level and on center. The tool rest does not go low enough for a 3/4" boring bar it is just a fraction to tall. If I had know that at the time I would have gone for the PM and not the Jet. There are also some outboard attachments you can get for the PM that are not really available for the Jet

Jim Burr
07-23-2012, 6:03 PM
It's easy to go over 16" on a Jet. The 2hp model 1642 is just about equal to the PM, this comes from the guy that trained me who is a nationally known artist. I cored myrtlewood on a 2hp Jet club lathe and it didn't break a sweat. Turning 15" platters o my 1.5 easy really super smooth. The PM is a monster with out a doubt!! So be realistic about your goals, limitations, finances and take it from there!

George Guadiane
07-23-2012, 6:06 PM
If you can afford the PM, DO IT! The Jet is a nice lathe, but I don't think these two lathes are really in the same league...

The jet is an excellent lathe... BUT - IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT I'd go with the PM. You may never need or use the swing, but the option is important and the additional weight is an advantage when turning out of balance stuff.

Mike Cruz
07-23-2012, 6:17 PM
I know someone with the Jet that would jump on the oportunity to get the PM in a heartbeat...

Peter Elliott
07-23-2012, 7:22 PM
I know someone with the Jet that would jump on the oportunity to get the PM in a heartbeat...

:rolleyes:hmmm

I have the Jet. it's 1.5hp and I think I have thrown everything on it. I put some beast of a bowl blank where I had to saw off corners to get to spin freely, prob weighing 50lbs.

What I wish I did? Get the 2hp for little extra torque.

I would jump on a used PM3520B in a heartbeat for the extra swing but I having something made to inch me up a bit (skunkworx project)

when I was buying the 1642EVS, it was at the top of my budget. so even the 2hp model put me out of my budget.

If the $$ is there, buy the 3520B and call Toolnut for a quote. But if you settle on the 1642EVS, it's one hell of a lathe!

I will add that I turn on a 3520B here and there.. so I know both lathes fairly well.

Ryan Mooney
07-23-2012, 10:34 PM
I have a 3520B, have never turned on the 1642 but have a practical question for those who have. One of the things I notice with the 3520 compared to some older smaller lathes I've used elsewhere is that the headstock is beastly huge. For large projects this is fine, desirable, sweet. However for smaller projects its kind of in the road. Is the 1642 substantially slimmer/out of the way in use? Its sort of hard to tell from the pictures.

I've found myself thinking that a mini or midi lathe might be a nice accessory to eventually get :D

Greg Just
07-23-2012, 10:58 PM
I have the Jet and can't complain. Available power in my shop was a big factor that led me to the 1.5 hp Jet. If I had 220 available, I probably would have went for the 2.0 hp jet and not the PM, I just couldn't justify the extra money. Some day I might regret that decision, but the Jet has perform very well and it has allowed me to spend the money on other tools. Remember that the lathe is just the beginning!

Mike Cruz
07-24-2012, 5:34 AM
I feel compelled to say this. I think I said it earlier, but I want to be clear. I've turned on both. The Jet is a very nice lathe. But it simply is not the PM3520, which I have turned on, too. The PM3520 IS an upgrade from the Jet 1642. My understanding is that the 1.5 and 2 hp units are the same (other than the motor and the VFD). So, getting the 2 hp unit doesn't get you anything beefier in the frame of the lathe. That said, again, I found the Jet to be comfortable to turn on, and I liked it. My point, in this thread, has simply been...between the two, if you can afford the PM, get it...you won't be disappointed or regret it.

Robert Henrickson
07-24-2012, 8:26 AM
I have a jet 1642. It is a very nice lathe. I mainly make platers and the largest I can do is around 14", because I use jumbo jaws to turn the foot and you just do not have the room to open the jaws for a bigger plate. I realize a vacuum system would alleviate this problem, but will get one after I upgrade my lathe.

I have a 1642, and have done a number of 15 1/2" or even slightly larger platters without using a vacuum chuck -- I simply jam chuck for finishing the base. It has worked out fine, even with thin platters (starting with a thickness of 4/4). I'm not sure that the rim profiles of many of the plates/platters I turn could be held in jumbo jaws. A vacuum chuck could be useful but is not necessary.

Joe Meirhaeghe
07-24-2012, 10:52 AM
I own the Powermatic 3520B. I have also used the Jet numerous times. To me there is no question on what to get here if the cost is not the determining factor.
The Powermatic is a LOT MORE Machine. Several factors to take into account. You can always turn small pieces on a larger lathe, but you can't ever exceed the Jet lathes maximum capacity if you do want to every turn larger work. The original cost only hurts once on the Powermatic. The cost of the Jet will hurt any time your not able to turn a piece that that won't fit on the Jet, or that you have to fight a piece because the Jet just isn't heavy enough built.
Then there is also the Re-Sale factor. While the Jets hold there re-sale fairly well. The Powermatic will hold it's Re-Sale value better and you should have no problem getting the price difference you originally paid back if you must sell it at some point. So in that respect it won't cost you any more to own the Powermatic than the Jet it the long run.

Matt Coplan
08-07-2012, 2:28 PM
All,

I sincerely appreciate the feedback you all have provided. After considering your comments, the PM seemed like a no-brainer...........and the great price from Toolnut didn't hurt either! I ordered the lathe last Friday and it was delivered to my residence this morning. Can't wait to get it set up tonight! Thanks again everyone.

Matt

Rick Markham
08-07-2012, 3:31 PM
Congrats Matt, you will love it! Now go get it set up, and don't forget pictures in your gloat... no pictures=didn't happen... Make sure you have a buddy to help flip the legs and bed right side up, don't hurt your back!

Ryan Mooney
08-07-2012, 4:55 PM
+10 on getting help. I managed to do it myself with the aid of an engine hoist. Without the hoist its definitely at least a 2 person job.

Josh Bowman
08-07-2012, 7:26 PM
I wanted the PM, bought the Jet, used the Jet, it was a great lathe but then sold it and bought a PM.

Ron Stadler
08-07-2012, 11:04 PM
I say buy them both and give me the one you don't like, :)