PDA

View Full Version : Blue Plate Special

Bob Bergstrom
07-23-2012, 10:57 AM
This is more of the Box Elder log I processed last year. With all the bumps on the log the swirls and fiddle become quite evident with some dyes. This was dyed the usual black (alcohol and transtint black) and then sanded back. Transtint blue was then applied and cut back with steel wool. About twenty coats of lacquer and polished out with Micro mesh. The plate measures about 15" across and 2" thick. Comments always welcome.

Bernie Weishapl
07-23-2012, 11:47 AM
That is a beauty Bob. Love the color.

Scott Hackler
07-23-2012, 12:09 PM
Nice work Bob. Very rich looking color.

Tim Rinehart
07-23-2012, 12:23 PM
Bob, you did that piece of box elder proud! Very classy look, beautiful finish and nicely done details around the rim. I like it!

Roger Chandler
07-23-2012, 12:31 PM
Nice form on this....like the bead around the inner rim, and the color is just full and deep.......that is a looker for sure!

Jon Nuckles
07-23-2012, 1:22 PM
Very nice color, Bob. When you sand back the black, do you sand until there is no color in the "non-figured" wood?

Bob Bergstrom
07-23-2012, 2:26 PM
Very nice color, Bob. When you sand back the black, do you sand until there is no color in the "non-figured" wood?

Jon First of all the more figured the wood the better it is going to look. The sanding back of the black dye depends on the wood. Box elder and soft maple will absorb quite a bit of color. Hard woods like hard maple, apple or pear will not soak up much. I sand the soft ones starting with 150 grit. Harder woods may only need to go back to 220. You must get out all the scratches. Any small scratch or tear out will show immediately. The additional colors I only use #0000 steel wool to smooth the wood and remove some of the top color. I don't like too much of the white wood showing through. I have used up to 4 colors. You can get some interesting depth and variations depending where and how much dye is removed in certain areas. Ring porous woods like ash can be dyed with the black as a shadow to the harder area of wood.

Jeff Myroup
07-23-2012, 5:38 PM
Looks good Bob. Did you wet sand with the micro mesh, and how high did you go with it?

Jim Burr
07-23-2012, 6:06 PM
That is just stupid crazy beautiful Bob...amazing!!

David DeCristoforo
07-23-2012, 6:08 PM
It's a great looking platter, Bob and would be even without the color. On the other hand, I happen to love blue so that works for me too. But what I like best about this is the title. Perfect!

Bob Bergstrom
07-23-2012, 6:16 PM
Looks good Bob. Did you wet sand with the micro mesh, and how high did you go with it?
Yes wet sanded by hand. I was tempted to mount some velcro to my micro mesh and power sand it, but it is two sided and that would gum it up on one side.

Michelle Rich
07-24-2012, 6:23 AM
I like the color in the first pic..very deep ( the 2nd has a green hue..my monitor??)

James Combs
07-24-2012, 10:51 AM
Sure is some nice deep color. Is there a white balance problem between the two views? Appears to be two different colors.

Billy Tallant
07-24-2012, 12:41 PM
That definately looks great. Awsome work there. Love that blue color you used.

Baxter Smith
07-24-2012, 1:15 PM
Striking platter Bob! Love the blue!

Bob Bergstrom
07-25-2012, 1:44 PM
I took the pics with the plate just lying on top of my photo tent and natural light coming through the basement window. I did have my phloresent ceiling lights. There was too much reflexion in the tent. The shape of the bowl (convex vs concave may have darken it. Both sides are the same.

Jeff Myroup
07-25-2012, 2:17 PM
If you are bored sitting there with no power, I got some bowls that need to be polished.

Jim Adkins
07-26-2012, 8:30 AM
Nice looking piece Bob, love that deep blue color on a nicely figured piece of B/E.

Bob Bergstrom
07-26-2012, 9:36 AM
Thanks to all for the kind words. It does seem blue over black can make some deep rich colors on turnings. I will put this one in the instant gallery at Turn On Chicago. Will see if it gets critiqued. The are many beautiful pieces to be seen there.

Rick Markham
07-26-2012, 2:59 PM
This is a super nice platter Bob, I've looked at it several times now. I think the bead around the rim is the icing on the cake. Super nice work! Can't argue with the perfect name that is for sure! Great color and beautiful form/ finishing details.