PDA

View Full Version : Delta 46-460 Reverse not working

Prashun Patel
07-23-2012, 8:58 AM
I have a Delta 46-460 and just this weekend it stopped turning in reverse. It turns forward fine. When I turn it on in reverse, it does nothing. Then when I turn the switch off, and shift to forward, it spins quickly 2-3 revolutions forward then stops. Then if i turn on the switch in forward mode, it's fine.

The problem is intermittent. If I move the belt or remove the chuck, it works for a while, then again, the same symptoms reappear.

I'm guessing the switch is nearing its end, but it seems odd this'd happen after only about 2.5 years of use.

Any ideas?

Prashun Patel
07-23-2012, 9:18 AM
I found this from a different site. Apparently this is a common problem...

The reversing switch appears to be the culprit. The number for anyone with the same issue is:

Black and Decker: 5140059-11

I'll post progress if any.

Peter Lamb
07-23-2012, 9:18 AM
Your lathe came with a five year warranty. Contact an authorized Delta service center, to be found on the Delta web site. It is a part which can be in stalled by you or by the repair center. If you don't get satisfaction shoot me a PM

Prashun Patel
07-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Thanks, Peter. I wasn't able to use their dealer locator successfully. I've heard lots of problems with Delta/B&D service and lead times. I'd rather not go thru the frustration, so I just ordered the part myself.

Jim Colombo
07-23-2012, 10:35 AM
I've had the switch replaced 3 different times in 18 months.

Jon Prouty
07-23-2012, 11:16 AM
Mine started doing the same thing this weekend. Joy.

Jon

Prashun Patel
07-23-2012, 11:34 AM
I found a place to order the switch. If you want one, pm me and I'll send link. $9.00 (plus shipping about the same!!!)

Jon Prouty
07-23-2012, 12:55 PM
I spoke to my AZ service center... I'm not too happy. First, they told me no stock, 120 days minimum to get a part in from Delta. Next, they told me that switches are a wearable item and not covered under warranty. I said, ummm... No, that is not acceptable. Spoke to the service manager and he said that because my lathe was under two years old that they would look at it and probably be able to cover it under warranty. The service center is 30 miles from my house and they want me to drag in my lathe and leave it with them to be fixed (so I'd be without lathe for at least four months) - no way buster. When I called Delta direct, they told me I have to deal with the service center. Seems a bit ridiculous. I should be able to find another industrial switch localy for under $20 that will last better than the junk tht is in there now. Irritated with Delta.

Jon

Jeff Fagen
07-23-2012, 10:53 PM
It is the most common problem with the 46-460.I was able to get the service center to send me a switch after several calls and a lot of talking.I have yet to put it in because I was able to fix it by removing the surrounding cover and continually using compressed air to blow the dust out of it while switching it back and forth.If you do a search on here for 46-460 you will find where someone suggested a switch from Amazon that will replace the original.Good luck.

Mike Goetzke
07-24-2012, 8:53 AM
It is the most common problem with the 46-460.I was able to get the service center to send me a switch after several calls and a lot of talking.I have yet to put it in because I was able to fix it by removing the surrounding cover and continually using compressed air to blow the dust out of it while switching it back and forth.If you do a search on here for 46-460 you will find where someone suggested a switch from Amazon that will replace the original.Good luck.

Jeff - is this the one?

http://www.amazon.com/Rocker-Switch-Polarity-Reverse-Control/dp/B001PNIJM2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330393658&sr=8-1

James Combs
07-24-2012, 10:27 AM

Dust is probably the most common(no I don't have statistics, just experience) cause of switch failures/problems in wood working equipment. I don't know how many of my own I have repaired by taking them apart and cleaning the dust out. Here is an example of one I repaired(cleaned) for a friend of mine on his small Sears bandsaw. It is probably the extremist I have ever run across. It even had a rubber seal(the white part) and look at all the dust it collected inside the seal. If you search SMC you will find several instances of blow the dust out solving the problem.

237554 237555

Gary Max
07-24-2012, 11:04 AM
I own two of the 46-460 lathes---- when the electronics fail I just remove the whole wiring system and go after market. In my opion thier warranty is worthless. Like Jon said taking months to fix a lathe is just plain nuts plus it's a 100 mile drive for me, one way. The basic design is lacking and will not last if the lathe is used often. I have already upgraded one of mine and have the parts in hand for the second one. This being said it's still one heck of a lathe after you get past the lack of service.

Prashun Patel
07-24-2012, 11:32 AM
Oooh, neat idea. I'm going to try that. Come to think of it, my air cleaner's switch recently failed because it's right above where I sand. I opened up the box to change it and found a lot of dust in there. I made that air cleaner, so I can't blame the poor design/build on anyone but mself.

Prashun Patel
07-24-2012, 3:05 PM
From the place I ordered the switch:

"Thanks for visiting us online. The item(s) listed below are
temporarily out of stock but are on rush order from the factory.
SKU: DL-5140059-11 QTY: 1 of 1
Please let us know if you prefer to cancel... Otherwise we'll ship them out just as
soon as we receive them from the factory..."

Yikes...

Peter Lamb
07-24-2012, 7:30 PM
Here is a response from Delta, not B&D Peter,
Sorry for the slow responses, I am on vacation with little access to the internet.
The reverse switches have had some problems intermittently on the older version of the lathe.
If he contacts customer service through Servicenet, they can get him fixed up. They have the parts in stock.
Mark