PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
07-23-2012, 7:53 AM
23 July 2012

Good Morning Everyone,
Well, it's still very hot and dry here. We, like a lot of the country, really could use some rain and cooler temps. I pray that happens soon for many of us. This past weekend was spent working on replacing the veneer on top of an old antique pedestal mounted sewing "basket". I was able to get that done and out of the vacuum press. I will post pics next week.

The rest of the weekend was spent at church playing bass guitar and finishing the construction of the aquarium stand. The LOML helped in the shop and kept cleaning and organizing the shop while I worked. All in all, it was a good weekend.

So what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.!!

Sean Hughto
07-23-2012, 9:24 AM
I finally got to the glue up stage of a backgammon board I've been making subassemblies for for a while. Veneer marquetry for the outsde of the panels, tooling and dying the leather playing surface, making the trays, and cutting the blind dovetails, etc.
Good to see it finally start to take shape.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8143/7619213094_c6220cfe80_b.jpg

David Hostetler
07-23-2012, 9:44 AM
I got the design finalized, purchased the plywood, and started the build of my Miter Saw / Mortiser workstation / Compressor enclosure. It was a bit of a frustrating experience as LOML has an entirely different idea of how my time should be spent. Oh well... I have some time off solo at the end of this week, maybe I can get something done there.

The what she thinks I should be doing is painting the living room. She is VERY antsy to get new paint on the walls and trim. Sadly she is wanting me to get this done before the failing tape is replaced. She just doesn't understand how things go together... I love her, but mechanical reasoning is not her strong suit...

Friday night, I had the electrician that is going to do my sub panel out, to replace a burnt out contactor in the AC unit. Sadly, the replacement contactor (brand new) went kablooey. We thought it might be a bad compressor blowing the contactor, but just in case we got a bad contactor out of the box (this is the third one I have seen bad, my third house and all...), he swapped in a known good pullout unit, sure enough the AC fired right up and got to work... Thank God I don't have to replace my AC right away...

I have been wanting Square D components for my main panel replacement / sub panel, but finding an outdoor rated 200 amp panel around here has been painful. Lots of Cutler Hammer and GE stuff, no Square D... Plenty of Square D indoor rated 200 amp, but that's not where they mount our boxes here...

I wanted to stay with Square D as that is what the houses here are built with, and they have been spot on reliable for decades. Why mess with a good thing?

Shawn Pixley
07-23-2012, 10:16 AM
This was the weekend for Fair entries. I ended up building display components for LOML's display case. I then did a bit of cleaning on my entries (a pair of tables and a tray). We got everything entered and installed by 5 yesterday.

I spent quite a bit of time working on the next component of the display case. Yesterday, while waiting for LOML to get her entries complete I started the glue-up. All in all a good weekend.

Sam Layton
07-23-2012, 11:01 AM
David, you made me laugh...

I spent the weekend painting the living room. I have a new radial arm saw station planned, along with several other shop projects. My wife is in a bunco group, and guess what, bunco is at our house in a couple of weeks. So, I spent the weekend painting, and today is a paint day as well...

Sam

David Hostetler
07-23-2012, 12:34 PM
David, you made me laugh...

I spent the weekend painting the living room. I have a new radial arm saw station planned, along with several other shop projects. My wife is in a bunco group, and guess what, bunco is at our house in a couple of weeks. So, I spent the weekend painting, and today is a paint day as well...

Sam

Tell you what... if you were closer I'd help you paint / trim out for trade in labor... I could use the help...

My wife tries to help, but bless her, at her height, (5' even...) painting cathedral ceilings just isn't her strong suit...

I have her talked into helping me move the furniture around, and draping out drop cloths in the living room tonight... I am going to paint the ceiling up to the ridge beam. I think I may have her talked into ripping the sheet rock off the ridge beam, and building a wood beam surround, so it looks like an engineered wood beam. If it was up to me, and we had the budget, I would go all wood on the ceiling in the living room. Kind of the log cabin look...

Anyway, tonight should be good. Drag the hose in from the garage, set the drop cloths and ladders up, set the regulator, fill the gun, and start spraying the ceiling... Once dry I can mask the edges and finish the upper parts of the wall... Probably spray that too! Wish I had an HVLP gun of my own. My friend took his back to paint his trailer, and I would rather use HVLP instead of conventional gun...

Keith Hankins
07-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Got to get in the shop and continue working on the new pencil post bed. I'm laminating the rails, so its the first use of Ultra-Cat adhesive. Love the open time, as long as 4hrs. Came out great! Got two done two to go then the headboard.

http://flic.kr/p/cBfFYd

Sam Layton
07-24-2012, 10:45 AM
Hi Dave,

Sounds good to me if we were closer... How did it go last night? For me, today is another paint day, after I do the yard work. I was thinking about spraying. However, I did not know if I could get everything sealed off good enough.

You were talking about taking the drywall down in order to reface your beam. Why not just reface over the dry wall? We did a major remodel to our house. In the family room, and master bedroom, we built cathedral ceiling. They have a large beam, and the ceilings are T&G western red cedar. I really like the look.

Sam

David Hostetler
07-24-2012, 10:58 AM
I got up in the corners with the spray gun. My viscosity was still a bit thick so it spit a lot. But I got the corners done, and decided to hand it up in favor of the roller. Got 1/4 of the living room done before Fajitas and a Margarita called my name REALLY loudly...

I am going to hit the same spots with a second coat tonight, and then get busy with the walls / edging it... LOML got within 4" of the corners. I will use the edging pad to finish that up. The laser edge stuff will need to be applied using an artists brush...

I have Thursday / Friday this week off. Hopefully I will get my bench carcass done.

brian c miller
07-24-2012, 11:18 PM
Got to the dry fit stage... I did it in the kitchen b/c there was a lot more room to work.

I have to epoxy a few knot holes, then smooth, and maybe pre-stain?

Tomorrow it's glue up time then doors, drawers, shelves.

BCM

Matt Meiser
07-25-2012, 6:35 AM
I plugged away on the laundry room remodel. Mostly finished drywall repair, painted the ceiling, installed a new light fixture, etc in the house. Sanding, spraying, and more sanding in the shop. All cut short by my third work trip and fourth overall trip in three weeks. Headed home now and hoping to get a long weekend to do some catching up on a number of fronts. First up is moving furniture and appliances for a major flooring install in about 1/3 the house.