PDA

View Full Version : Rattle / captive ring

David Starks
07-23-2012, 12:51 AM
Was playing around tonite and going to make a kitchen scoop but messed up the end so i ended up making this rattle w/ captive ring. Its the first one ive ever done and even attempted.

It doesnt really rattle loudly like i was expecting but o well. I was actually trying to get two rings on it but one broke just before it cut loose. I could glue it back together but wouldnt that be cheating?

For anyone that has ever made them before, what tools do YOU use? Im not sure I used the right thing even though it worked.

Its made from maple and finished w/ walnut oil.

What do you think?

curtis rosche
07-23-2012, 12:54 AM
Looks good. When I went through a phase and made a whole bunch of them, I used only a round nose scraper and a parting tool. Then i bought the ring tool and only made one after receiving it :rolleyes: never make a rattle with 6 rings. it looks too clustered.

Ryan Mooney
07-23-2012, 12:34 PM
I've only made a couple, but just use a skew. Takes a relatively steady hand, I've broken about 50% (biased somewhat towards the early attempts).

Thom Sturgill
07-23-2012, 1:02 PM
I've made several goblets w captured rings and one rattle. Typically the goblets are wedding gifts with 2 rings. (I have one in front of me as I type.) I made one rattle for a granddaughter - three rings and the bells on the end are hollowed with popcorn kernels inside. I do have and use a ring tool, but have cut them with both a skew and a detail gouge. I finished the rattle with mineral oil to avoid any allergy issues.

Mike Peace
07-23-2012, 4:00 PM
This thread shows what I use. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?73060-Baby-Rattle&highlight=

Billy Tallant
07-23-2012, 4:14 PM
I've never made any myself so cannot really comment here. But I do like yours...