PDA

View Full Version : Monster or Carter Hollowing Rig for 46-460

Glenn Kramer
07-22-2012, 11:07 PM
Hi,

I am about to pull the trigger on a hollowing rig for my Delta 46-460. So I need some sage advice from those in the "know"!

After narrowing down my options to either a Monster standard size articulated rig or a Carter Hollow Roller I am not quite sure which is the best choice. This set-up will be used for hollow forms and deep bowls of about 8-12" in depth.

Well gents...what say yee?

Thanks in advance!!! Glenn

Kathy Marshall
07-23-2012, 2:12 AM
Glenn, from what I have heard I don't believe either set will work for 8-12" deep hfs. Maybe some of the Monster and Hollow Roller owners will chime in with better info, but I think 7-8" would just about max out either one. To go 12" deep you'll probably need a captive system with beefier bars. I have the Jamieson standard system and I can go about 10" if I take much lighter cuts, but I still get some vibration. I believe you can get a Monster captive system with jumbo bars, but I don't know about the Carter system.

Roger Chandler
07-23-2012, 8:00 AM
The monster articulated system will go 12" deep if you get the beefier 1" boring bar.....it comes with the 3/4". You need to find out if the full size will work okay with the Delta 46-460............I think John Keeton had one for his, but it might have been the midi size monster............

I have the full size monster rig, and had a big boring bar made for it............I can go 15" or a little deeper with it.......

Prashun Patel
07-23-2012, 8:53 AM
I have the Monster and a 46-460. It's the fullsize model. Works fine. I agree that I wouldn't go deeper than 7-8" with the 3/4" stock bar.

John Keeton
07-23-2012, 8:55 AM
Roger, I sent Glenn a PM. My articulated system was the regular size, but I did not get the 1" bar until I got the captive system. For what he is wanting, I would suggest the captive system unless Glenn can do both.

Roger Chandler
07-23-2012, 1:13 PM
Roger, I sent Glenn a PM. My articulated system was the regular size, but I did not get the 1" bar until I got the captive system. For what he is wanting, I would suggest the captive system unless Glenn can do both.

I agree John........if one is going to do deep and large hollow forms mostly, then go with the captive system........my articulated monster has been beefed up a little from stock with that custom made boring bar, and my lathe has a longer distance between centers than most, so I can accommodate the 24" bar I had made up.........for someone with less bed length, the captive system will likely work better.

Scott Hackler
07-23-2012, 2:28 PM
I have the Carter Hollow Roller and it is basically a captured system that pinches a boring bar (that is flattened on the bottom) inbetween two roller heads. It works for a bit deeper that normal pieces, but the shoulder of forms is impossible with the stock/straight 3/4" bar. They have started offering smaller bars, larger bars and I believe a swan neck. I don't won those new pieces. I did opt for the laser for mine and its a very nice laser set up. Price wise I think the Monster (with all it's different boring bars and cutters) might be a bit of a better bargain, but I believe the Carter will go deeper as a stock unit.

Glenn Kramer
07-23-2012, 7:00 PM
Thanks,

Lots of sound and worthy information here. I spoke with Todd @ Monster this morning and placed my order. As I have a Kobra on my 3520B for deep hollowing I decided to go with the standard Monster Articulating Hollowing rig with the 1" bar. I also purchased the 3 piece scraper set (on sale) and a swan neck bar to get at the top inside corner.

Scott, your points are well take, I had my doubts about getting into the inside corner with the Carter rig.

I appreciate all of your advice and thanks again, Glenn

Todd said he would get it to my front door by the end of neck week which is excellent service.

Mark Levitski
07-23-2012, 7:08 PM
Huh? Glenn, you got a Kobra on a 3520 and you wanna get another hollowing system? Wow, I woulda thought that one could use the Kobra for smaller stuff too. I am feeling more and more like a bare-boned shop. I have one lathe and one hollowing system -- the MOAAE system (my own arm and eye :)).

You gotta review on your Kobra?