PDA

View Full Version : leigh dovetail bit size

joe zarnitz
04-08-2005, 4:03 PM
what size and where can i get the proper bit preferably 8mm for 1/2'' wood for half blind dovetails----tks,joe

Per Swenson
04-08-2005, 4:30 PM
Joe,
When I purchased my jig, I thought I could save a little money
and use my off the shelf dovetail bits. The results where not
satifactory. I ended up purchasing the complete leigh boxed set.
Direct from Leigh. Now every thing works perfectly, and if I get
a order for something special, its all in the box.
Over a 100 projects and applications later, not one
new bit or time lost waiting for the big brown truck.
Per

Gary Herrmann
04-08-2005, 5:38 PM
Try Highland Hardware. I got my bits from them and they work fine. They even use the same numbering scheme.

hcbph
04-08-2005, 5:52 PM
I bought some 8 mm bits with my jig. I also filled in the set with some I bought at MCLS and they've worked just fine also. I also had some from other vendors prior to getting the dovetail jig. No problem with any of them.

Doug Cowan
04-08-2005, 7:28 PM
If I am not mistaken I think that Routerbits.com and Lee Valley also carry bits sized for the Leigh,

Jim Becker
04-08-2005, 8:08 PM
Mine came from Jessada, which is NOT a viable option anymore, but Infinity may have them. I know Lee Valley carries them as Doug mentions. You can also buy directly from Leigh. I use the #120 for half-blinds in 1/2" material.

Michael Pfau
04-08-2005, 9:43 PM
Whiteside carries just about every size that corresponds with Liegh. I have used the leigh bits, and don't think much about them. I use only Whiteside, not cheap, but very good quaility.

Scott Brihn
04-08-2005, 9:49 PM
I use Whiteside and typically purchase them from either my local Woodcraft or Ballew Saw & Tool. I've bought mine individually but given the number of times I haven't had the right bit in inventory I would recommend purchasing a set if like me each project seems to call for a different thickness. Whiteside does offer a (sometimes hard to find) set for the D4.