PDA

View Full Version : Mobile base for Cabinet saw with 52" rip

Derek Voigt
07-22-2012, 9:45 PM
So I've all but decided to upgrade but current contractor saw with the Grizzly 1023RLX. I want to have a mobile base for it, but don't like the shop fox style base that grizzly sells for it. I plan on adding the router table into the extension table and want to utilize as much room under the table as I can for storage. What other options are out there that will work with this saw? Anyone have some good DIY options?

Thanks,
Derek

Jay Runde
07-22-2012, 11:49 PM
i'm in the process of building something like this for my Saw Stop contractor saw. The plans are available at woodstore.net under mobile sawing and routing center

Bill Petersen
07-23-2012, 12:43 AM
I wish I could offer more than this. I have the Shop Fox mobile base on my RLX and it serves the purpose of getting the saw moved but I agree, it's not ideal. I am also thinking some storage under the extension but not a router. If I was finished with setting my shop up I may not have gotten a mobile base at all. I will also be building a good sized outfeed table which will also need to be at least semi-mobile. I do think you will like the Grizzly saw. It seems to be a good product for the price. It's a HUGE improvement over my Craftsman contractor saw.

Bill

Bruce Page
07-23-2012, 2:21 PM
Derek, I am very happy with the 50-289 Delta base under my Unisaw w/ 50" Biesemeyer table. I don’t know if it will fit your Grizzly but it is a well made MB.

Keith Hankins
07-23-2012, 6:19 PM
I have the 1023slx with 7' rails. I bought the shopfox HD base and the extension to go under the long rails too. The base works fine but the extension is a waste of money. You can hardly move it with the extension on. It's setting in the corner. I move mine rarely but the shopfox gets it done. I'd get it over again.

Derek Voigt
07-23-2012, 8:31 PM
I have the 1023slx with 7' rails. I bought the shopfox HD base and the extension to go under the long rails too. The base works fine but the extension is a waste of money. You can hardly move it with the extension on. It's setting in the corner. I move mine rarely but the shopfox gets it done. I'd get it over again.
Keith,

Are you saying that the extension itself is a waste of money it terms of functionality, or for the mobility reasons?

Derek

Mark Kelly 92040
07-25-2012, 12:14 PM
I have the Grizzly 1023 with the 7' rails and I used the Power Tool Mobile Base from Rockler - http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2383&site=ROCKLER - as a basis for my mobile base. Instead of using wood for the cross supports, I bought square steel of a similar size to the wood cross members the Rockler base calls for. I extended the front and rear "legs" on the base so that they extend almost to the end of the fence rails; the shorter "legs" on the left and right of the saw are also square steel. I used a piece of angle iron to join the extended front and rear "legs" near the right end in order to attach the single wheel caster. This method allowed me to bolt everything together since I don't weld. The legs from the table extension sit on the floor and lift sufficiently to allow easy movement of the saw. Most of the weight is on front right corner of the fence rail so just lifting there lets me move the saw without a great deal of effort.

I don't have any pictures at the moment, but if some would be helpful to visualize what I have done, let me know and I will post some.

Mark

Cary Falk
07-25-2012, 1:33 PM
Somebody say DIY?:) Both of the fences are about 40" to the left and could be stretched to 52".
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0210.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0306-1.jpg

Ben Hatcher
07-25-2012, 1:56 PM
I built a huge torsion box large enough to support my saw, side extension, and the outfeed table. To reduce the height, the casters mount to the underside of the top skin. I cut holes in the bottom skin big enough to allow full motion for the casters. The unit is heavy enough that it doesn't really need locks to hold it in place, but I put some toggle clamps on it anyway which press against the floor preventing any movement. I've since added drawers and bins to it, but here's a picture to give you an idea of what I did.

Keith Hankins
07-25-2012, 2:32 PM
The extension is a waste of money for both reasons. It's not necessary and it's more difficult to manuver the Saw. Given my saw has the 7' rails, but it was just not worth it as you need to relevel each time you move having it on a base does not save that step. So I chucked it and realize i have to relevel the table no matter what if I move it so its just not necessary. It's easer to move without not much but save the money it does not do anything for you. Base I like exenstion I do not. I only move mine rarely since I bought the saw.

Derek Voigt
08-07-2012, 10:17 PM
Well I went ahead and pulled the trigger. On a G1023RLX... And of course it is back ordered for 6 weeks.... Even though the RLW and the RL were shown in stock bummer.

I figure I'll start without a mobile base and look at building one after Christmas since I haven't had the need to movemy current saw much in my current shop layout.

This is the first tool that I have purchased new, EVERY other tool has been used. I'm like a kid at Christmas!

Bruce Page
08-08-2012, 12:19 AM
Congrats Derek! Post some pics when you get it.

Clifford Betterley
08-08-2012, 5:40 AM
Somebody say DIY?:) Both of the fences are about 40" to the left and could be stretched to 52".

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0306-1.jpg

Where can a person buy the plans for this mobile base?

Cary Falk
08-08-2012, 8:39 AM
Where can a person buy the plans for this mobile base?
You can't because they don't exist. PM me your e-mail address and I will send you more pictures and answer any questions you have.

Derek Voigt
09-10-2012, 11:05 PM
Almost 5 weeks into my wait and I was just told that it would be another 5 weeks before they would have my saw, then another 3-5 for it to get to me. How frustrating! I want to get rid of my old saw but not until the new one is all set up!

There is a used sawstop on my local Craigslist... It is a cabinet saw with a 1.75HP motor. So it is a smaller saw, but I would have it in my shop this weekend!!

Ole Anderson
09-11-2012, 12:59 PM
I used the 3 wheel HTH base with a monopod on my 1023. Very stable, even when moving it. You could build cabinets on wheels that slide under it. I can rotate it 90 degrees to crosscut a door, push it forward to maximize shop space, or pull it back to rip 8' stock. I would think that with loaded cabinets attached to the extension, it will get really heavy for moving.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/CJ7ole/Leg-1.jpg

Derek Voigt
10-03-2012, 1:13 PM
So now 8 weeks into my order I ask if things are on time and find out that there is an additional 6 weeks delay. So I've had it! I canceled my order and will just keep my eyes open for something used.

Now I'll need to look for used 15" planer too because I was planning on having all matching tool companies because it looks cooler that way....

Bruce Page
10-03-2012, 3:13 PM
Wow! I can see how that would be frustrating. Good luck on your hunt.

Chip Lindley
10-08-2012, 4:26 PM
I did OverKill, and welded up a rock-solid stand for my Powermatic 66 of 3" steel channel and 3x3 steel angle. It is big, but I like it that way. Room for drawers below the table extension, and a router table built in also.

http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz142/zzarus/Mobile%20Stands/PM66standsml1.jpg

http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz142/zzarus/Mobile%20Stands/PM66standendsml.jpg

Joseph Tarantino
10-08-2012, 7:51 PM
that's a nice looking mobile base, chip. how do you secure it from moving when it's in it's operating position? what keeps it from moving around when in use?