PDA

View Full Version : Flex Shaft Carving on Turnings

Eric Holmquist
07-22-2012, 8:50 PM
I have a Wecheer flex shaft system that I rarely use as it like wrestling with an octopus every time I get it out to carve on a turning. I would like to solve that by setting up something where I could hang it from a sliding fixture on the ceiling. I was thinking some 1/2" black iron pipe with floor flanges screwed into the joists the length of the lathe. But the thing that puzzles me is the sliding mechanism. I can't seem to find any off the shelf sort of pulley to slide along the pipe. I guess I could turn a wooden pulley and make a block to hold it, but if I could source some cheap alternative that would allow me to be lazy I would go that route. Anyone have any ideas?

Harry Robinette
07-22-2012, 9:03 PM
Put a pully assembly on the pipe and away you go.

Jerry Marcantel
07-22-2012, 9:21 PM
You could get over to a local hardware supplier, and get some TEE track or "I" type beam track for bifold doors. The track slides are 4 wheel assemblies, and can hold up to about 200 pounds.... Used them several time for very heavy bifolds.. Track is 5' plus. Hang it to the ceiling, and you're in business...... Jerry (in Tucson)

Eric Holmquist
07-22-2012, 9:23 PM
You could get over to a local hardware supplier, and get some TEE track or "I" type beam track for bifold doors. The track slides are 4 wheel assemblies, and can hold up to about 200 pounds.... Used them several time for very heavy bifolds.. Track is 5' plus. Hang it to the ceiling, and you're in business...... Jerry (in Tucson)

Now that's a great idea, I have to go look for that!