PDA

View Full Version : first chair off the line...

Carl Beckett
07-22-2012, 8:49 PM
Ok, I have 5 more of these to do, but went forward with putting one together all the way, so I can make some tweaks if needed before doing the remaining. They are hard maple and walnut.

Some things I like about them, and some things I need some more work. I bent the backs just by resawing to a thin stock and then gluing/clamping over a form. That seemed to work ok once I got the thickness dialed in (too thick and it just cracked the boards).

The back joint is a through mortise, which I drawbored into position (and glued). I figure this is the joint that gets the most stress. All the other joints were glued, and then a pin added (not drawbored, just pinned).

The top of the chair back I started with thick stock, and then just cut a curvature (or two), and rasp a little and then sand it smooth. I tried putting a through tenon into the top, and then widened it a bit at about half way through. this allowed some wedges to be used to lock the back in place (also glued). These need some more work..... so a little practice before doing the next one. Although the thickness and angles of the wedge seem ok... I just want to get them to tighten up a bit more so zero gaps.

Hard maple is a pain. and all these mortises are stepped to avoid occupying the same space in the legs. Then the sides are compound miters (subtle, but angled both front to back and side to side)

Next will be a seat. Havent decided if I will go across the entire top, or will let the front legs extend up through the seat corners. And a lot of small cleanup, sanding, etc etc. I think these will clean up well. Now, to get the other 5 together cleanly....

keith denbesten
07-22-2012, 9:06 PM
Very nice Carl. Looks like you will have some time and love in in those. Can't wait to see the color / finished product!

Kevin Presutti
07-22-2012, 9:08 PM
Very nice Carl, looks like they will live to be antiques. Can't wait to see the seat.

Clint Olver
07-22-2012, 9:20 PM
Carl, that's a bad@ss chair. I really like it. The only thing I'm not fond of is the the nubs on the top rail. I like to hook my arm over the top of the chair sometimes, and stiles that extend beyond the rail interfere with that. Also, purely as a design feature, I think they would look good sanded flush with the profile of the rail. However you decide to finish them, I'm sure they'll look pretty good.

C

Carl Beckett
07-23-2012, 9:10 AM
Thanks for the comments.

Can't wait to see the color / finished product!

Indeed, but it takes me a lot longer to FINISH projects than it does to START them..... so it will be a bit before the rest are done. Thats the thing with chairs - you do a tricky joint and it comes out just right and then realize - thats nice, now do it 95 more times..... literally.

But I did these in a batch, so 'pretty' far along on most of it. (although Im not projecting any timelines!!)

Some pics in process:

Carl Beckett
07-23-2012, 9:11 AM
more pics in process

Sam Layton
07-23-2012, 11:36 AM
Very nice chair Carl. I like the combination of maple and walnut. Are you building the table as well? What are you going to use for a finish?

Sam

Carl Beckett
07-23-2012, 1:46 PM
Very nice chair Carl. I like the combination of maple and walnut. Are you building the table as well? What are you going to use for a finish?

Sam

Yes, I have the table already. Its walnut, so these will match up well. They will be everyday users for the family room, with young children. I wanted them to be reasonably small also so they didnt take up too much space.

For a finish I was considering just the Target 4000 (I believe that is what I have - leftover from a previous project). Im not sure the pot life on it so will need to confirm, but given these are going to get some pretty heavy wear I wanted something durable.

If I wanted some color I could put some oil on it before the final coat. Not sure though.... .after a decade of exposure they will age naturally.

Recommendations??

Pat Barry
07-23-2012, 9:21 PM
I like what you have started here Carl. Doing a set of chairs is something I'd like to do some day so I want to watch this closely. One thing on our dining room chairs is that the rail connections have loosened up. They don't have thru tenons like yours. I have attempted repairs several times and they never hold together for long. They were dowelled unlike yours. Even so, these connections take a lot of stress and I worry about the fit of the tenons. It may be the picture angle and if so great, but I would really focus on getting very tight mortises for those tenons and not rely on the thru dowels you have to secure them. Good luck and keep posting pictures, etc.

Larry Edgerton
07-23-2012, 10:05 PM
Very nice Carl. Should be a good sturdy set of chairs with the joinery that you are using. I like the style.

I find it a lot harder to work on my own stuff, which would be the same as you having a real job and doing this in the spare time. It took me 4 months to finish my grandsons crib/bed, but each time I got some time I had to remember where I was. I'm delivering it this weekend. I'm only three weeks late......

Larry

Carl Beckett
07-24-2012, 7:39 AM
One thing on our dining room chairs is that the rail connections have loosened up.

these connections take a lot of stress and I worry about the fit of the tenons. It may be the picture angle and if so great, but I would really focus on getting very tight mortises for those tenons and not rely on the thru dowels you have to secure them.

I agree. These through tenons are glued (so a pretty large glued surface), and then the drawbore pins but yes there is a gap with the tenon (I always do mortise/tenons this way - old habit to allow an easier fit and also expansion.... although Im not sure expansion matters but have read of tenons swelling and popping out a section of the mating piece if put close to the end of a board).

But another option might be to just taper those mortises a bit, and go ahead and wedge the through tenons. would match up with the top wedges as well. And would be super tight at that point. A feature worth adding I think. Heck, I could wedge them without tapering the mortise even - although a little taper would be pretty easy to put in. Then I have drawbore pins AND wedged mortises? Two different type of joinery and to the purist could argue they would fight each other and demonstrate poor design (not that I ever get too hung up on following 'rules'). After all, the real question is going to be when some 200# teenager sits down and rocks back on two legs.

You are right Larry..... start, stop. Now, where was I? What little home improvement project was I working on last where I carried away my square, chisel, (insert other tool here). Which in part was why it was fun to put one together all the way - sometimes you need the inspiration to keep the momentum going.

Pat Barry
07-24-2012, 8:21 PM
I like the wedge tenon idea, just to keep the joint from having a chance to move vertically. That would add significant strength and durability. You are right about having a lot of glue surface with your configuration and the drawbore pins do help significantly. Unfortunately only time will tell so I think over engineering this joint is a good idea.

Van Huskey
07-26-2012, 7:24 AM
Very nice work and cool design, be sure to post pictures when they are finished!