PDA

View Full Version : JS Norway Maple Bowl

Eric Holmquist
07-22-2012, 6:15 PM
Norway Maple bowl with black lacquer and Jo Sonja iridescent paints. Just starting to explore what I can do with these kind of paints. Interior left natural look with polyurethane finish, external is waterborne lacquer to retain the colors. Around 8" (20 cm) across.

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-22-2012, 6:50 PM
Fabulous color scheme, Eric. What a way to make a wonderful but plain wood exciting. The translucent paints allow the color below to show through giving the whole thins a 3D effect. You're on a hot track here. Keep exploring. How about this idea? I'll send you a bunch of maple bowls and you make them come alive like this one. Just dreaming out loud.
faust

Ken Glass
07-22-2012, 6:57 PM
Eric,
I love the two contrasts of the interior to the exterior. Your color choices are also wonderful and this whole bowl comes to life. Well Done.

Roger Chandler
07-22-2012, 8:33 PM
That has some pizazz! I like your idea of leaving the interior a natural look...makes the bowl more sophisticated!

Bernie Weishapl
07-22-2012, 11:09 PM
That is a beauty. I really like the contrasting colors from inside to outside.

Ted Calver
07-22-2012, 11:11 PM
I'm with Roger...pizazz and lots of it. Nice job!

Kathy Marshall
07-23-2012, 1:58 AM
Beautiful bowl Eric! Great form and I love the paint job. The black background and the mix of colors, along with the random brush strokes, really make this piece!

Scott Lux
07-23-2012, 9:42 AM
I like the treatment, but I think it only works because you left the interior wood. Had it been painted too, this could be easily mistaken for plastic or ceramic.

I'm just drooling over the form on this too. That is a sweet curve top to bottom and just the perfect foot.

Bill Bolen
07-23-2012, 10:32 AM
Wow! Find myself really loving this and I'm not a great fan of painted pieces. Your paint job sure brought this one to life. Sweet form too.

Bob Bergstrom
07-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Really like the use of the colors and brush work. It all makes the bowl unique and quite desirable. Like the idea of the warm finish on the inside and clear water born lacquer on the outside to keep the colors true. I take it the Jo Sonja iridescent paints are similar to Pearl-Ex in that they become much more dichromic if the background is black. Great job on the form and super on the look.

Eric Holmquist
07-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Thanks everyone

Roger / Scott - I agree, I feel that it is important to have significant natural wood exposure. For bowls, the dominant face is the interior so I keep that natural with only the usual tricks of some amber shift finish.

Bob - Yes the Jo Sonja iridescent paints pop against a dark background. In the bottle, they all look like white paint, it is only against a dark base that they have any serious color. I think they really should be named interferance paints like many of the other paint manufacturers.

Kathy - The randomness hurts my head, I am an engineer by profession and crave order, but realize chaos has its place outside of aircraft products!

I always try to use waterborne lacquers over colors to preserve the color scheme.

Michelle Rich
07-24-2012, 6:19 AM
WOW this is fascinating..has the look of finger painting! love the colors!