PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun question....

Chuck Wintle
07-22-2012, 4:48 PM
My father has an old shotgun made by the Stevens company in chicopee falls that has seen better days. The stock is broken almost where it attaches to the gun and there is surface rust all over. It needs some tlc from a gunsmith for the mechanical parts and possibly some sort of blueing. The stock needs replacing as it is beyond help. i think it fell off the wall once where it was mounted. Is there some intrinsic value that will be removed if it is fixed or are these fairly common guns?

Bruce Volden
07-22-2012, 5:57 PM
Chuck,

For the most part a Stevens shotgun in that condition has little value. If you "fix it up" it will still have little value. The value is in knowing where it came from and the shared memories.

I have a RUSTED out '92 F-150, and was told for $20,000 it can be made to look brand new---go figger.

Bruce

Chuck Wintle
07-22-2012, 6:02 PM
Chuck,

For the most part a Stevens shotgun in that condition has little value. If you "fix it up" it will still have little value. The value is in knowing where it came from and the shared memories.

I have a RUSTED out '92 F-150, and was told for $20,000 it can be made to look brand new---go figger.

Bruce

yes I know you are right...its only the sentimental value of this gun purchased by my grandfather so many years ago.

Lee Schierer
07-22-2012, 7:51 PM
At the moment with a broken stock it has little value and is also unusable. If you intend to use it get it repaired, if not glue it back together and hang it on the wall. I can tell you that stock replacement will cost as much or more than buying the same model gun used from a dealer.

Roger Bell
07-23-2012, 11:33 PM
You didn't mention the model of your Stevens, so I cannot look up a replacement stock for you, or I would.

It may well be possible to pick up a used, replacement stock that you could refinish yourself, if needed. I don't agree that getting a replacement will cost as much as another gun, unless you have one custom made. We have the internet now. Like any used part, it the price will depend on how common the model was. Given that this particular piece has some family value to you, it is probably worth the effort to look around.

Check here:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Shotgun-Stocks/BI.aspx

If you first don't see what you want, return to the site from time to time over a period of a few months. It is not too unlike ebay in how it works.