PDA

View Full Version : PSI Utility Chuck lockup

Allen Howell
07-22-2012, 3:22 PM
I haven't turned in a while, due to multiple factors (health not one of them, thank goodness). I got a yearning to do something creative and so I did some pyrography on a bowl that had a crack in it, to see if I could camoflage it. It turned out OK, so I thought I would finish it, needing to turn the spigot off and make a foot. My PSI utility chuck won't do what I need for it to do. It has locked up about halfway from the fully closed position. Well, it hasn't totally locked up, because it will extend fully out but only get to about halfway to closed. I was going to remove the C ring around the back side, but (1) I couldn't get it off and (2) I wouldn't know what to do once it was off. Any ideas for a fix? Thanks in advance.

Roger Chandler
07-22-2012, 3:29 PM
Are you referring to a 4 jaw chuck like their Barracuda chuck? If so, it sound like either there is a burr that has developed on the scroll gear, or grit and grime have accumulated inside the chuck. Both those conditions mean a disassembly and cleaning. if there is a burr, that can be filed off with a small file.

Get some snap ring pliers and use it to compress the C ring and take the back off.........the assembly inside will be exposed, and you can pay very close attention to the way parts fit together. It is not difficult.........I have taken apart my SuperNova 2's and cleaned them.

It is absolutely crucial that you get the jaw slides installed in proper sequence and you can likely get some instructions from PSI on their website or by calling them. Beginning with the proper jaw slide, engaging it in the scroll and moving to the next one and doing the same is of utmost importance in order for your chuck to work properly. Before re-assembly grease the scroll gear well with some high temp grease or at minimum litheum grease. Hope this helps.

Allen Howell
07-22-2012, 3:43 PM
Roger, yes it is a 4-jaw chuck, just not as good (expensive) as their Barracudas. I was afraid I was going to hear what you said about the C ring. Now all I gotta do is get SWMBO to let me get snap ring pliers. I will take pics of each step, so as not to lose track of location of things. Luckily for me, PSI puts a number on the end of the slides that correspond to the track/jaw numbers. Thanks for the quick response and information.

Michael Mills
07-22-2012, 4:35 PM
You have probably already tried it but scroll in and out as you can and hit it with full pressure from your compressor to blow out any gunk.

If the slides go outside of the body I would scroll out and check the edges of the slides for burrs which may keep it from going in. If the slides do extend out (like a Woodriver) one or more may have gotten bumped by a tool or other item. You should be able to file off the burr without disassembly of the chuck.

Jerry Marcantel
07-22-2012, 6:51 PM
+ + + on what M M says. The same thing happened on my Nova, and a small sliver of metal was sticking out of one of the threads. I blew it out pretty good with air, turning the jaws in and out, flooding it with light machine oil on each jaw several times until it started operating like new again....I didn't have snap ring pliers to get the ring off, but it turns out it wasn't really necessary just yet..... Jerry (in Tucson)

Allen Howell
07-23-2012, 1:07 PM
Thanks Michael and Jerry! I'll try that before I have to buy anything else. Although, the thought of having to buy a compressor to blow out a relatively cheap tool does appeal to my humorous side.

Fred Perreault
07-23-2012, 6:12 PM
Allen, it sounds like you might have to have a sit-down with the wife and explain
that you need some tools. Christmas, birthday, wedding anniversary, almost any Saturday sale..... :)

Jamie Donaldson
07-23-2012, 9:38 PM
Allen, if the situation requires removing the C snap ring, a cheap pair of long nosed pliers will make the tool you need to remove it.