PDA

View Full Version : Live Edge Cherry Coffee Table, Work in Progress

Victor Stearns
07-22-2012, 12:25 PM
Just a post of my son's current project.
The top started as a large cherry log from a neighbor. I was not home when he began to plane if down as I would have liked to see it before.
He plans on filling the top with epoxy so that it is flat.
We will post the finished product when it is done.
Thanks for looking,
Victor

Andrew Hughes
07-22-2012, 1:34 PM
Hi victor,I like your sons project,it has nice movement. Andrew

Tony Shea
07-22-2012, 3:19 PM
I really like the design on this live edge project. I never used to care for live edge until reading a Nakashima book and all of the sudden it has really grown on me. But there are still many live edge projects that are just not mated well with their base as far as asthetics go. But I do like your leg design in combination with the cherry slab. It will be interesting to see how the wood colors go together once finished. How old is your son? He has done a great job so far!

Jack Camillo
07-22-2012, 5:33 PM
Well done! I think your proportions are perfect with this.

Bruce Volden
07-22-2012, 6:12 PM
Victor,

I like the table and plan on doing a few in the future. My only advice would be to "ease" the edges of the legs as they appear to be quite sharp. I say this only because I have experienced the pain of jabbing my toe, leg, arm....into a 90 degree surface! Also, for the void, have you thought about crushing up some turquoise, malachite ...stone for an added display??

Bruce

Van Huskey
07-26-2012, 7:19 AM
Tell him he is doing an excellent job!

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
07-31-2012, 4:54 PM
I really like the design on this live edge project. I never used to care for live edge until reading a Nakashima book and all of the sudden it has really grown on me. But there are still many live edge projects that are just not mated well with their base as far as asthetics go. But I do like your leg design in combination with the cherry slab. It will be interesting to see how the wood colors go together once finished. How old is your son? He has done a great job so far!

Totally agree. This type of work normally doesn't find appeal with me; this one however, I REALLY like! Alas, never say never! Tell your son he's got a great artistic eye and great skill in execution.

Victor Stearns
08-09-2012, 9:56 AM
Just assembled the table and took a couple of quick pictures.

lowell holmes
08-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Excellent work, I'm impressed.