PDA

View Full Version : Creeker Visit in So Cal - Sierra Madre Sawing and Milling

glenn bradley
07-22-2012, 9:57 AM
Fellow member Damon bought my lightly used planer yesterday. He was very busy and wondered if I would be willing to bring the planer out to him. Wait a minute . . . a good reason to go visit stacks of cocobolo and zircote!?! I'll be right out.

I apologize, there was so much to see that I should have taken pics of but, once I got a full-force dose of the stock and tools, the connection between my eyes and my hand stopped working :)

Can my G0513 properly tension this blade?

LOML and I had a great visit and Damon was a wonderful host. He took more time than he probably should have and gave us the grand tour. He has just an amazing array of beautiful stock. Anyone looking to take their pieces to the next level or needing to re-stock on some top-notch exotics should definitely give Damon a call.

Paul McGaha
07-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Dang Glenn. Kind of at a loss for words. Other than it must be a real treat for a hobbiest to get to meet a pro and tour a facility like that.

Thanks for sharing.

PHM

glenn bradley
07-22-2012, 11:07 AM
Dang Glenn. Kind of at a loss for words. Other than it must be a real treat for a hobbiest to get to meet a pro and tour a facility like that.

Thanks for sharing.

PHM

Yep pretty humbling to look at his small bandsaw that he uses for "curves and stuff"; a 28" Northfield!

Damon Stathatos
07-22-2012, 1:39 PM
Glenn - Who's Paul calling a Pro? Looks as if I've got at least a few fooled around here. Perhaps we could keep your revelation after an 'inside look' on that one just between you and me ?

Had I known you were going to go public like this, I would have fired up the leaf blower beforehand and made it 'showroom fresh' looking. But seriously, the pleasure was all mine yesterday and it was wonderful to meet both you and your wife. You have an open invitation and I'd welcome another visit, anytime.

Glenn had advertised his Dewalt lunchbox planer here on SMC at a great price. I have three planers in the shop, one just like Glenn's, a Jet 15", and a Newman Whitney 26". I had been looking for a backup Dewalt 'just in case' because, believe it or not, it's the one I turn to most often. It is by far the easiest to adjust (thickness) and truthfully, gives me the best surface. The only reason I turn to either of the other two is for workpiece size considerations but, given my preference to the lunchbox, I've ended up pushing some pretty good size stock, even through that.

One other 'passion' of mine is photography and, out of necessity, I've gotten pretty good at 'recovering' my shots. I'll repost a few of Glenn's.

The last photo shows a couple of 'resident' doves who've taken up home here. The doves are great...what they leave behind isn't, as evidenced on the corner of the bench next to them (which is waiting to be sent out). Going to take a bit more than the leaf blower for that.

Glenn's visit may be the start of a flurry of Creeker visits. Glenn's visit yesterday...also Bill Wyko's in town on a super-secret mission and has promised a visit...and lastly, I just got Sam Layton to agree to a lunch 'out here' on another recent thread. Three great guys that I really look forward to seeing and I have Sawmill Creek here to thank for it all.