PDA

View Full Version : X y disabled! Help please

bruce edwards
07-22-2012, 2:11 AM
I was engraving some dog tags last night. Had an order of 60 tags. I had 40 done and in the middle of engraving the next batch I smelled
a burning rubber kind of smell and in an instant the engraver stopped. Then it said x y disabled. I have always cleaned it/lubed it per the manual and
there is nothing blocking the path from left to right. The encoder strip is also clean and free from any debris. When I turn on the machine and the carriage
is all the way on the right, it moves to the left aboutan inch or so and stops. It moves fine on the y axis. Of course this happens on a weekend and I can't
get ahold of tech support. I'm hoping it's not the x axis motor. :confused:

Joe Pelonio
07-22-2012, 9:40 AM
You can hope, but I have blown an x motor and that sounds identical to what happened to mine. It's easy to tell by removing the belt and trying to turn the shaft by hand. In mine the shaft had bent so it wouldn't turn, which turned out to be a design flaw. The replacement was reinforced to prevent it from happening again. As I recall it was about $200 for the new motor. I'd suggest looking for a fellow Creeker member with laser near you to finish the job, if you can find one. Better to lose part of your profit than lose a customer, if it takes a few days to get back running.

bruce edwards
07-23-2012, 2:47 AM
Hi thanks for the info....hope to find out whats wrong tonight ( I'm in the Philippines, 15 hours ahead of West coast of USA)

bruce edwards
07-23-2012, 2:51 AM
heres a pic with the cover off......if anyone knows what the lights mean ;) 237430

Ken Maxwell
07-25-2012, 6:04 PM
It's either the X motor or the Mother board. I had to replace both. Epilog sent me the motor and that was only $200 part of the problem. Then they sent me the $1000 mother board, that was the painful part of the problem. Mine was about 3-1/2 years old when it went.

Bill Cunningham
07-25-2012, 9:20 PM
I have replaced 2 x-motors, the same design flaw one as Joe, and one a couple of years ago one that had the burnt smell. They seem to last about 4 years, so recently when I had to replace a ribbon cable, along with that, I ordered in a encoder strip, a lens, mirror, and a spare x-motor.. The motor was $150.00 +/- a few bucks.. My machine is 8 years old, and on all original parts except 1 mirror, x-motor, ribbon cable, and a tube.. So having a few spares on hand saves me the shipping time for parts which seemed to have increased from 24 hours to 3 days when they dropped DHL and went with UPS...I just can't afford to wait 3 days for parts..

Craig Matheny
07-26-2012, 12:37 AM
So having a few spares on hand saves me the shipping time for parts which seemed to have increased from 24 hours to 3 days when they dropped DHL and went with UPS...I just can't afford to wait 3 days for parts..
Bill I get all my parts next day from Epilog it cost me more for the next day but you should be able to do the same if needed. However, having spare parts on hand is nice also.

Bill Cunningham
07-26-2012, 8:50 PM
Bill I get all my parts next day from Epilog it cost me more for the next day but you should be able to do the same if needed. However, having spare parts on hand is nice also.

Your in California, I'm in Canada.. Epilog used to use DHL which had an overnight service to Canada, Companies like Discount labels still use DHL and I always get it overnight. Epilog uses the so called 3 day 'saver' which ups delivers in 3 days& costs about 80.00 .. I've seen shipments that arrived in the country in 1 day, but UPS held them in a Toronto wharehouse for two more days for no reason at all. The shipment had already cleared customs, so there was no reason to delay it other than "it's a 3 day saver"..

Craig Matheny
07-26-2012, 9:14 PM
YOu know what might help is have then ship it to the UPS hub for pick up if it is not to far. Good Luck

bruce edwards
07-28-2012, 11:12 AM
It's either the X motor or the Mother board. I had to replace both. Epilog sent me the motor and that was only $200 part of the problem. Then they sent me the $1000 mother board, that was the painful part of the problem. Mine was about 3-1/2 years old when it went.

UPDATE: Got the x-axis motor today July 28....3 days earlier than the online tracking thank god!!! It was the x-axis motor. Working fine now. Whew. I should invest in some spares tho. 7 days of down time. Sucked. Thanks for the help and info everybody