PDA

View Full Version : Maple Pepper Mills

Greg Just
07-21-2012, 10:09 PM
Earlier this year I was able to purchase 2 baseball bat blanks from a member of my woodturning club (should have bought more). I gave one to my son to make a bat for his entry into the Minnesota State Fair. I kept the other one and made 2 peppermills. The one on the left is a wedding present for a friends daughter who is get married in next month. These are the biggest peppermills I have ever made measuring in at 16 inches tall. The maple was very nice to turn and the finish is 6 coats of Woodturners Finish. I used the Crush Grind mechanisms. Comments are welcome.

Roger Chandler
07-21-2012, 10:15 PM
Wow...........16 inches.........that is a lot of pepper mill and will hold a lot of peppercorns! I kinda like the 8" and 10" sizes best........there is a restaurant in our area that uses 24" pepper mills exclusively.............the waiters really crank away when somebody says yes to the question..."would you like some fresh ground pepper on your salad?"

Nice Greg!

Bernie Weishapl
07-21-2012, 10:53 PM
Those are great looking mills Greg. Well done.

James Roberts
07-21-2012, 11:04 PM
Nice mills! I have a grinder kit and am waiting on a blank to dry sufficiently for my first attempt, just hope mine turns out as nice as yours.

Steve Schlumpf
07-21-2012, 11:32 PM
Big mills! I am sure the wedding gift will be cherished for years to come! Nice work!

Kevin W Johnson
07-22-2012, 1:26 AM
Wow...........16 inches.........that is a lot of pepper mill and will hold a lot of peppercorns! I kinda like the 8" and 10" sizes best........there is a restaurant in our area that uses 24" pepper mills exclusively.............the waiters really crank away when somebody says yes to the question..."would you like some fresh ground pepper on your salad?"

Nice Greg!

Who might that be Roger?

Michelle Rich
07-22-2012, 7:42 AM
nice big mills!

Marc Himes
07-22-2012, 7:42 AM
Very Nice pepper mills! They make great gifts and are fun to turn.

Russell Eaton
07-22-2012, 8:26 AM
Good job Greg. I guess that was fun to drill.

Greg Just
07-22-2012, 11:08 AM
Good job Greg. I guess that was fun to drill.

I drilled from both ends before truing up the cylinder. You need to drill slowly and clear the chips frequently.

There was a tread awhile back about Crush Grind mills being difficult to install. I found that I had 2 sets of instructions, one from PSI and one from Craft Supply. The one from Craft Supply is easier as they recommend a slightly larger hole size and there is less grinding of the plastic to make the mechanism fit.

Jeff Myroup
07-22-2012, 11:25 AM
Great looking Mills Greg.

Jim Burr
07-22-2012, 12:40 PM
Now that'll hold some pepper...Great size!! I'm interested to see how the WTF holds up in a hostile environment like a kitchen.

Greg Just
07-22-2012, 4:32 PM
Now that'll hold some pepper...Great size!! I'm interested to see how the WTF holds up in a hostile environment like a kitchen.

Me too. Have not seen any long term reports on the product.

Roger Chandler
07-22-2012, 4:57 PM
Who might that be Roger?

Kevin........that would be the Mill Street Grill in Staunton....they are so big they hang them on the wall in a special hanger for the waiters to go get them instead of trying to carry them in the apron pocket.

I asked one time where they got them, but the waitress said she did not know.

Donny Lawson
07-22-2012, 9:46 PM
Nice mills and great finish.