PDA

View Full Version : 109 today

howard s hanger
07-21-2012, 9:34 PM
I am finishing up a rolling cabinet in the shop/garage and that's going to be it for some time. I was drinking water like crazy and still got dehydrated. It's getting to be stupid hot now and no relief in sight until October. It was probably 110 in the garage. 90 at 10:00 am. At least I wont be spending any money on materials. You folks who live in cooler climes are fortunate to be able actually enjoy Summer. We generally dread it. It's 700 miles to get out of it. Crazy.

Myk Rian
07-21-2012, 9:53 PM
Where are you?

I had 3 roof vents put in the garage during the last re-roof job. Put a fan in the middle one. Helps a bit to get rid of the hot air up there.
During the winter I stuff insulation in them to trap the warm in inside.

howard s hanger
07-21-2012, 10:42 PM
Dallas area. Problem is this time of year it rarely gets below 80, ever. I know I'm not alone, I guess we would all have to live on the left coast or Maine to avoid it.

Greg Peterson
07-22-2012, 1:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7ktYbVwr90

Larry Edgerton
07-22-2012, 7:23 AM
I lived in Kerrville Tx. in the late seventies/early eighties and was there the summer that it never got under 100 in the month of June. Get up at 5:00 am and it would be 104 or so, and then get hot. To make it worse I owned part of a paving company. I drank about 5 gallons of water every day.

One thing that helped besides water and salt tablets was spicy food. Seemed to make it easier to take. We did not however have the humidity that you have up there, humidity was usually between 10-20%. I had to go to Houston once in a while for parts, and it would be cooler but absolutely miserable because of the humidity. Couldn't pay me enough to live in Houston.

Larry

Greg Peterson
07-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Larry - I have heard that spicy food helps in hot weather. Look at our neighbors south of the border and their use of spices.

Craig D Peltier
07-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Dallas area. Problem is this time of year it rarely gets below 80, ever. I know I'm not alone, I guess we would all have to live on the left coast or Maine to avoid it.

Maine gets humid and lots of biting bugs too.
Sunny Seattle is the place to be! Might of reached 80 here this summer twice and a lot of days in the 70s so far this summer. No humidity to speak of.

Jay Jolliffe
07-24-2012, 2:20 PM
Craig is right about the humidity & bug bites....Between the Deer & black flies, mosquito & green horse fries that you can put a saddle on we have it pretty good here...;)It does get hot here also...anywhere between 80-100 sometimes but not as bad as other places. A thunder storm is rolling through now so maybe the rain that it will bring will cool it off for a bit.

Brian Elfert
07-24-2012, 3:48 PM
Maine gets humid and lots of biting bugs too.
Sunny Seattle is the place to be! Might of reached 80 here this summer twice and a lot of days in the 70s so far this summer. No humidity to speak of.

I am surprised Seattle would have low humidity as much as it rains there. 70s and low humidity would be perfect in my world. We've only had a few highs less than 80 in the past month. Many highs in the 80s and 90s with high humidity.

Steve Meliza
07-24-2012, 4:28 PM
Not sure how Seattle qualifies as low humidity when it was raining Friday when I drove through. Near Portland we've been around 50% RH lately with highs 70-80F. We have had maybe a dozen days over 80F this summer and none over 86F so far. Humidity has made the cool weather less enjoyable and the garden is suffering, but I'll take it over triple digits.

Greg R Bradley
07-24-2012, 4:30 PM
I am surprised Seattle would have low humidity as much as it rains there. 70s and low humidity would be perfect in my world. We've only had a few highs less than 80 in the past month. Many highs in the 80s and 90s with high humidity.

Seattle has reasonable humidity and little rain for two months or so right around now (end of July). If you visit Seattle during those periods, it seems wonderful. The problem with living there is that there are 9-10 more months in the year.

Brian Elfert
07-24-2012, 5:38 PM
50% humidity is humid? We're at 79% RH right now with dewpoint of 73F. We would think the humidity is low and comfortable with only 50%.

David Hostetler
07-24-2012, 5:53 PM
There's this great invention called air conditioning. You really should try it sometime. Bet you'll like it...

David Hostetler
07-24-2012, 5:57 PM
I am actually closer to Galveston Bay than Houston is. I know all about the hideous humidity. But I must take exception, yes, there is enough money to live in Houston... And it is the only reason LOML and I are living here. If I could make a decent living in Oregon I would be so out of this place it would make your head spin...

I lived in Kerrville Tx. in the late seventies/early eighties and was there the summer that it never got under 100 in the month of June. Get up at 5:00 am and it would be 104 or so, and then get hot. To make it worse I owned part of a paving company. I drank about 5 gallons of water every day.

One thing that helped besides water and salt tablets was spicy food. Seemed to make it easier to take. We did not however have the humidity that you have up there, humidity was usually between 10-20%. I had to go to Houston once in a while for parts, and it would be cooler but absolutely miserable because of the humidity. Couldn't pay me enough to live in Houston.

Larry

Craig D Peltier
07-24-2012, 8:03 PM
Not sure how Seattle qualifies as low humidity when it was raining Friday when I drove through. Near Portland we've been around 50% RH lately with highs 70-80F. We have had maybe a dozen days over 80F this summer and none over 86F so far. Humidity has made the cool weather less enjoyable and the garden is suffering, but I'll take it over triple digits.

Guess I should of said sticky humidity. There were tow days about 1.5 weeks ago that it was 75ish and humid.That was a bit sticky. I think it might of felt like 82 or something. Yes we get a lot of cloudy days here but not a lot of rain in inches as many many other places in the continental US. We usually get 3 months of sunny California beach weather (70s) here in June July August. I see everywhere but western coastline sweltering this summer, I couldnt think of a better place to be then on the west coast somewhere as far as this years weather goes.
I cant imagine working in my shop even at 80 degrees. I dont want to sweat :):D

Brian Elfert
07-24-2012, 11:04 PM
Last summer, we had a string of days were it was 80 degrees dewpoint with temps into the 90s. My friends and I were stupid enough to wire an enclosed trailer with electricity in that heat. The trailer has a silver roof with no insulation so it was HOT in the trailer. My friend had a huge fan blowing, but it really didn't help since the air was so hot. It was almost like being in a convection oven.

My friend had the AC in his house at 73 or 74 degrees so it almost felt like walking into a walk in cooler when we went into the house. If I had been at home I probably would not have done the project and would have likely stayed in my air conditioned house.

ray hampton
07-25-2012, 5:38 PM
Last summer, we had a string of days were it was 80 degrees dewpoint with temps into the 90s. My friends and I were stupid enough to wire an enclosed trailer with electricity in that heat. The trailer has a silver roof with no insulation so it was HOT in the trailer. My friend had a huge fan blowing, but it really didn't help since the air was so hot. It was almost like being in a convection oven.

My friend had the AC in his house at 73 or 74 degrees so it almost felt like walking into a walk in cooler when we went into the house. If I had been at home I probably would not have done the project and would have likely stayed in my air conditioned house.

which color of roof are best at keeping the temperature down, dark or light ?

Brian Kent
07-25-2012, 5:53 PM
Light color or silver are the best to reflect light away, but a metal roof with too little insulation is going to transfer heat right through to the inside. Flat black metal would be a bit warmish.

Brian Elfert
07-25-2012, 6:30 PM
which color of roof are best at keeping the temperature down, dark or light ?

The trailer has a galvanized metal roof. I can almost guarantee the roof was much warmer than surrounding surfaces. White would be best of course for low heat absorption.

Gary Hodgin
07-25-2012, 6:40 PM
We've had a few days of "cool down." Only 95 today, but heat index is a bit higher. Our definition of hot has changed from above 90 to above 100.

Jim Rimmer
07-26-2012, 1:25 PM
I lived in the Dallas area for many years. My last year there was 2001 (just north of McKinney). That was the worst summer in 100 years. One day the weatherman put up the 5 day forecast and it was "Relentless Sunshine". I would water my plants each day after work in an effort to save them. There was a family of cottontail rabbits that lived in my back yard. One day I was watering and I saw one of them and I squirted the hose in his direction. It didn't hit him directly, landed short and splashed on him. He rolled over on his side and let the water hit him. No, THAT"S hot. and it's a true story.

ray hampton
07-26-2012, 1:38 PM
I lived in the Dallas area for many years. My last year there was 2001 (just north of McKinney). That was the worst summer in 100 years. One day the weatherman put up the 5 day forecast and it was "Relentless Sunshine". I would water my plants each day after work in an effort to save them. There was a family of cottontail rabbits that lived in my back yard. One day I was watering and I saw one of them and I squirted the hose in his direction. It didn't hit him directly, landed short and splashed on him. He rolled over on his side and let the water hit him. No, THAT"S hot. and it's a true story.

did you pick him up ?

Matt Meiser
07-26-2012, 2:08 PM
I spent 3 days last week and 2 days this week in an un-air conditioned manufacturing plant in Kansas City with lots of big, old machinery, annealing furnaces, heat treat operations, etc. It was HOT out there. All the workers were wearing shorts but we were wearing dockers and company shirts. I don't know how they do it. We took frequent breaks in the cafeteria where there was temporary air conditioning installed. Yesterday morning when I left my hotel to drop off the rental car and return home it was already 86 at 5AM.

Jim Rimmer
07-26-2012, 4:08 PM
did you pick him up ?

The rabbits were used to me and would let me get close (10 ft or so) but I don't think he would have let me pick him up.

ray hampton
07-26-2012, 4:40 PM
The rabbits were used to me and would let me get close (10 ft or so) but I don't think he would have let me pick him up.

I thought that he died from the shock of the cold water by falling over the way that he did