PDA

View Full Version : Washington County, Maryland Turners

Mike Cruz
07-21-2012, 7:50 PM
Wow... Let me start by saying that I am disappointed. Really. I'm almost speachless... No, I'm not speachless. I have LOT to say about this. And I hope it reaches those in my area. There HAS to be talent in this county!

My county, Washington County in Maryland, does NOT have a county fair. We are...rural. We have a county AG Expo. Of that, I am actually kinda happy.

But, when looking at this year's "schedule" (something I've never looked at...usually go for the food ;) and to see the baby animals) I noticed that there is not only an adult (19 and over) woodworkers section of the Arts, but also a woodTURNER'S section. I was actually pretty stoked! I thought, "I've gotta go see this." I was 1/2 joking with my wife that I need to go check out the "competition" before I would consider entering anything of mine. So, it was placed on my calendar that on the 21st of July at 5pm, the woodworking AND wood turning pieces would be on display for the public.

I showed up at about 5:15, admittedly a little nervous and anxious. I made my way to the building where the "adult" arts were held. Many beautiful photos, painting, bakery, etc. I found the woodworking section... My heart SANK! There were maybe 10 or so items. At least 5 of which were from ONE woodworker. And only ONE of those 10 pieces was a turning. A very simple bowl. Something that would have gotten a bunch of attaboys here on the Creek. Nothing that would have elicited ANY "wow"s. While there was one piece that had some pyro (wild animals) on a stool/bench, even that was...okay. I mean NO disrespect to that artist. And I AM very glad that he contributes/contributed. My point is, rather, that this county HAS to have more to offer. I mean, I am a resident here, and I did not enter anything. So, there MUST be more, like me, that turn, create, build...just that aren't participating.

My hope is that this reaches some other Washington County,MD residents that turn, create, build with wood. I hope that next year, WHEN I submit my entries, we will fill an entire section...not just the end of a table.

And for anyone else out there that lives in a different county and/or state...PARTICIPATE in you county fair/expo/whatever if they have an adult woodworking/wood turning division of their arts section.

Steve Vaughan
07-21-2012, 8:08 PM
You're right, Mike, and I hope it reaches lots of ears up your way. Here in Chesterfield County, we've got a county fair that has a nice selection of "crafts" of every kind...still nice though. I like the county fair - it's Americana at it's best!

And lots of folks take lots of pride in putting there things in the fair - everything - EVERYTHING from the fatted calf to the nicest canned tomatoes to quilts to paintings and everything in between. I've had fun competing amongst the crowd with carvings but last year, I submitted a couple of turnings in two different categories. Won $3 bucks for a first place!:D I love it! Got the blue ribbon to show if ya don't believe it!:p

But what I also did was when I entered them, I noticed that there was NO class for woodturning. Wood-category-for-every-thing-else-under-the-sun, but nothing for turnings. So I asked the manager person, who was very interested in the idea and gave me the name of the person to write to. Long story short, they've added a woodturning category this year! Hoping to see some more entries this year! Good luck with yours!