PDA

View Full Version : Colder Ice Redux:

Jim Koepke
07-21-2012, 7:36 PM
Today we were set up at the Farmer's Market. Left the house at about 8:00am.

Our salt water ice cube was in use.

When we came home after doing some shopping it came time to clear out the ice chest and put things away. We returned home about 3:30pm.

What was found was something I have never seen before in an ice chest.

The small puddle of water and soft drink that were spilled in the ice chest froze at the bottom of the chest where the salt water ice cube jug was sitting.

jtk

Perry Holbrook
07-21-2012, 9:09 PM
I admit I only read parts of the original post. Did you ever say exactly how you made your brine solution?

Perry

Brian Elfert
07-21-2012, 10:30 PM
I keep my freezer at home at zero degrees. Last weekend I took a bunch of frozen stuff from the freezer and put it in a cooler. I also put in some bottle of water that were in the fridge. The bottles of water froze because the other stuff was so cold from the freezer!

Jim Koepke
07-21-2012, 11:21 PM
I admit I only read parts of the original post. Did you ever say exactly how you made your brine solution?

It was kind of random. Since I didn't want the bottle to distort in the freezing process, only about 1-1/2 to 2" of water was added per freezing cycle. About a tablespoon or less of table salt was poured into the water and shaken each time water was added.

I keep my freezer at home at zero degrees. Last weekend I took a bunch of frozen stuff from the freezer and put it in a cooler. I also put in some bottle of water that were in the fridge. The bottles of water froze because the other stuff was so cold from the freezer!

I haven't seen that happen before. Especially with the ice chest sitting in the open in the back of our truck all the time over a 7+ hour time frame.

I could be totally wrong, but after today it will be a hard sell to get back to using just fresh water ice to keep things cold in the ice chest while we are out for the day.

jtk

curtis rosche
07-21-2012, 11:49 PM
Its the same as when you make homemade ice cream. add rock salt to ice,, last time we did it we stuck a thermometer in the salt and ice and I beleive it was down to -5 f. play with a sandwich bag with a little bit of water, in the solution and you can feel it as it freezes.