PDA

View Full Version : A first for me

Roger Chandler
07-21-2012, 2:10 PM
About a year ago, I noticed that I was just accumulating too many small scraps, cut offs, etc from turning and other wood projects........thought to myself........I hate wasting wood.......so.......I ordered a few bottle stoppers from PSI, and I had a few minutes last evening and a few this afternoon, so out to the shop I went.

This is the first time I have ever turned bottle stoppers, even though I have been turning since 2004 or maybe a bit earlier [I forget exactly! :o]

These are two ash and one elm..........I kinda like the shape of the elm........might do a bunch of this shape in the future. Our family members are all tea drinkers, so they will have to go to some folks who have some wine that needs a stopper!

Mike Tilley
07-21-2012, 2:29 PM
Nice looking stoppers Roger they make a nice easy project if a person is just looking for some quick turning time.

Rick Markham
07-21-2012, 3:30 PM
Those are really nice Roger, I like them all, but I think you nailed it with the Elm. It is definitely my favorite of the bunch!

Steve Vaughan
07-21-2012, 8:19 PM
One thing I haven't gotten 'round to yet. You done good there Roger, and I'm a fan of the Elm one too. Gonna have to give it a try one day...got LOTS of scrap like that laying around.

Roger Chandler
07-21-2012, 8:26 PM
One thing I haven't gotten 'round to yet. You done good there Roger, and I'm a fan of the Elm one too. Gonna have to give it a try one day...got LOTS of scrap like that laying around.

I don't know why I did not do any of these sooner, Steve.....once you get your setup correct, they are quick and kinda fun also.......I had a lathe 9 years before I ever did one........:o

Scott Lux
07-21-2012, 9:32 PM
Watch out stoppers are habit forming. I really like the urn-like shape of the elm. The wood's pretty too.

Roger Chandler
07-21-2012, 9:53 PM
Watch out stoppers are habit forming. I really like the urn-like shape of the elm. The wood's pretty too.

Thanks Scott!

James Roberts
07-21-2012, 10:38 PM
Roger, you're ok for now. It's when you start buying exotic burls and cabochons and stones for insetting and...forget I said anything. What addiction?

Bernie Weishapl
07-21-2012, 10:51 PM
Really good looking stoppers Roger. They do sell well for me and are easy to make.

Steve Schlumpf
07-21-2012, 11:27 PM
Good looking stoppers Roger! I have heard of folks using stoppers like there for cooking oil... like a bottle of olive oil, etc. Your friends would most likely figure something out that would work for them.

Michelle Rich
07-22-2012, 7:43 AM
have your relatives store their tea in bottles!!!

Jeff Myroup
07-22-2012, 11:33 AM
Really nice job Roger. They look great.

Roger Chandler
07-22-2012, 2:09 PM
have your relatives store their tea in bottles!!!

Now there is an idea! :D

Roger Chandler
07-22-2012, 2:09 PM
Good looking stoppers Roger! I have heard of folks using stoppers like there for cooking oil... like a bottle of olive oil, etc. Your friends would most likely figure something out that would work for them.

One will be purposed for that for sure Steve..........thanks!

Donny Lawson
07-22-2012, 9:49 PM
Excellent stoppers. I need to make some myself. I've never tried one.