PDA

View Full Version : Re-Sanding?

Bruce Page
05-01-2003, 5:52 PM
After spending more hours finish sanding than I want to admit too, I managed to screw up 2 lovely birds-eye maple panels. To pop the birds-eye a little, I had planed to sand in a light coat of natural Danish oil with 400 grit paper and then immediately wipe dry. Instead, at the last minute, I added a little tint “for warmth” and I now have two hideous ORANGE panels that I can’t live with.

I had already sanded the panels to 320 grit prior to applying my Danish oil “mix”, I quickly wet-sanded the mix in with 400 grit emery – it took about 5 minutes, and then quickly wiped the panels dry.

My question is this; How deep do you think the oil penetrated? Will the orange sand out without too much greif or am I just spitting into the wind?

I wish people who have trouble communicating would just shut up. -- Tom Lehrer

Steve Clardy
05-01-2003, 6:06 PM
Try wetting with lacquer thinner and rubbing off the top with a rag and let it dry overnight. Then resand. Maybe you can still salvage them Bruce.
Steve

David Rose
05-01-2003, 7:31 PM
why not neutralize it or change it with another color dye if that doesn't get it the way you want? I've read about it. Dangerous I guess... But the finishing books all show using different dyes to change colors vs trying to get them right with one application.

David

Bruce Page
05-01-2003, 11:24 PM
Steve, I scrubbed them last night with lacquer thinner hoping it might remove some of the orange color – unfortunately it did not.

This was one of those times when that little devil’s sitting on your shoulder saying “go ahead, give it a try”, and on your other shoulder is his counterpart saying, “you jerk, you have way to much time in it to screw around now!”

David, I really want to go back to my original plan and have them ‘natural’ without any tint. I guess I’ll try re-sanding them Saturday.

Thanks for the responses.

Electricity is actually made up of extremely tiny particles called electrons, that you cannot see with the naked eye unless you have been drinking. -- Dave Barry

David Rose
05-01-2003, 11:45 PM
it will work out. This is a hobby for you, isn't it? I can't keep track of the pros and semis. If it's a hobby, just "eat" the time and chalk it up to experience.

Here's one for you that's really for me. "When you try something new on your work, it becomes a practice piece." (badly paraphrased) Ugh!

David

Bruce Page
05-02-2003, 5:38 PM
Thanks David,

I’m a hobbyist, but I’ve been doing this long enough to know better!

I had a monumental idea this morning, but I didn’t like it. -- Samuel Goldwyn