PDA

View Full Version : good day/bad day...

Russell Eaton
07-21-2012, 8:29 AM
I returned a box elder hollow form this week, and took a good deal of time to put a decent finish on it. I worked on it for about 2 hours at work one day and the next day wet sanded it for another 2 hours. I went home and buffed it out and had it looking good for about 15 min. While I was working on a finial for it I knocked it off onto the floor.... that is the bad day part. It cracked all the way around it from top to bottom. Now I will make a wall sconce out of it. I want to keep it just to remind myself to be careful ALL the time. Enjoy, and comments are welcome. Russell

Michelle Rich
07-21-2012, 8:42 AM
aw shucks..I feel for you..it's a real beauty

Tim Rinehart
07-21-2012, 9:43 AM
Bummer Russell, nice piece too. This is out of the box thinking...but what about opening the crack and make it look like a natural void? Or perhaps drill some holes and add some copper wire lacing?
Nothing wrong with sconce idea, but it doesn't have a sconce like appearance to me. Have some fun with it...not much to lose at this point.

Russell Eaton
07-21-2012, 10:04 AM
Tim it has already had a date with the band saw. Thanks for the comments.

Roger Chandler
07-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Like an egg shell! Sorry for the event that made so much work come up short! Isn't that the way it usually happens? At least, it seems as far as my experience, it always happens after many hours and an almost completed project..........GRIMMLINS! :eek:

That was a really beautiful piece of box elder........the flame in it was super.

Steve Schlumpf
07-21-2012, 11:13 AM
Hate to see that... but it does happen every now and then. Be sure to post a photo of the sconces when finished! Chances are there are a few other folks out there that might benefit from your idea!

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Russell,
I feel your pain but amazingly, I sense no anger in your copy. Good for you. One way or the other, it is still only wood, albeit beautifully processed wood.
faust

Russell Eaton
07-21-2012, 12:54 PM
Faust...it does grow on trees.;). It was a free piece AND I did figure out a good finish, I was not happy. I was able to learn something, and that was good.

Jim Burr
07-21-2012, 1:27 PM
And a great looking sconce it will be!!

Mike Cruz
07-21-2012, 4:19 PM
I'm still tying to pick my jaw up off the ground. OUCH! That hurts, dude... I feel for you...

Sid Matheny
07-21-2012, 4:33 PM
I wondered what that sound from south of me was and now I know it was your scream. What a great looking piece to end up cracked. I really hate it for you.

Sid

James Roberts
07-21-2012, 10:58 PM
Serious downer but you learned a few things I'm sure. Now you will learn the fine art of creating beautiful wall sconces. Post a pic and be as proud of them as you were of the original piece.

John Spitters
07-21-2012, 11:03 PM
Ouch !!!!!!!

Bernie Weishapl
07-21-2012, 11:12 PM
It will make a great looking sconce. Bummer it cracked.

Len Mullin
07-22-2012, 12:26 AM
What a loss, but as you have stated it was a learning experience, so not all was lost. Better luck next time.
Len

Marc Himes
07-22-2012, 7:46 AM
Been there done that. Too bad, that is one beautiful piece and looks like it took some time. I am looking forward to seeing the sconces.