PDA

View Full Version : No rose engine, no problem

Michelle Rich
07-21-2012, 8:04 AM
For those of you who get Woodturning Design Magazine and saw the article about rose engines, I thought I would share how to make one of the pieces , without a rose engine. Check out page 24, figure 5.

1. Make a 4 sided box. (no ends) I cannot give dimensions, as it must fit your lathe
2. Choose one side as a bottom & drill hole & inset nut & bolt to lock it to the lathe bed
3. On top, cut a cross shaped opening (crossing slots) that will accomodate a plunge router with the brass router template guide of your choice. (This depends on the bit you choose). Use a flat bottomed bit
4. You must have indexing on your lathe
5. Place your turning on the lathe and center the box you made over the area you will work on (TDC)
6. Plunge your router to bottom out on your turning & then set it to go the depth you wish. This will be hit & miss.
7. Lock your lathe so the piece does not turn.
8. plunge the router and move in the across the lathe bed direction. ( If you move it with the lathe bed, you will make flutes!..another use for this box)
9. Move the index to the next slot and repeat.
When you finish with that row, move the box and index the piece 1/2 between the original index and do the same process.
10. This will give you the design in the magazine & the little box below. I made this to hold little files & picks that get lost in the sawdust in my shop.
11. Good luck

Don McClure
07-21-2012, 8:47 AM
I would love to see a picture of this on your lathe....great idea!

Michelle Rich
07-21-2012, 10:27 AM
Sorry don, i made it about 20 yrs ago for a specific lathe. When I sold the lathe about 5yrs ago, I let the jig go with it, as it would not fit my new lathe.