PDA

View Full Version : Raptor Setup Tool

Jon Prouty
07-21-2012, 1:16 AM
Just got my Raptor setup tools from CSUSA and wanted to try them out tonight. I go the complete set of 5 figuring I would probably want one that I didn't have in the future. Reset my Vari-Grind jig to match the instructions and got consistent results (which is what I wanted them for in the first place). I don't care so much if I am at 60 or 55 degrees but I want repeatibility every time without having to keep spot checking. I could have fiddled with making my own out of wood but my time in the shop is more valuable to me than the few bucks I spent on the jigs. The fit and finish of these things are pretty amazing for the few bucks they cost - I was surprised at how nice they really are. The steel is pretty heavy gauge and they look cool - what can I say, I am a tool junkie.

My wife asked me tonight if I thought I would soon have everything I wanted for turning - I looked at her and laughed. I said, the CSUSA catalog has a lot of things I don't have yet.

Just wanted to pass along my positive experience with these jigs... For what it is worth, my 60 degree setup gave me a 56 degree grind... But I will get that same grind each and every time. I didnt check the others to see what the result was. I am more than satisfied...

Happy turning
Jon

Roy Turbett
07-22-2012, 11:41 PM
Just wanted to pass along my positive experience with these jigs... For what it is worth, my 60 degree setup gave me a 56 degree grind... But I will get that same grind each and every time. I didnt check the others to see what the result was. I am more than satisfied...

Happy turning
Jon

I also have the full set and like the ease of setup and repeatability. I don't think the problem you are getting with the finished angle is from the Raptor being off. The finished angle could be slightly off from the angle of the vari-jig being slightly off or the depth the tool is set in the jig being off. I'm sure you could play with the setup to get it right.

Bill Walsh
07-23-2012, 10:58 AM
Jon, Raptor tools are very helpful when your sharpening several tools at different angles. They keep the angle consistant as the wheel wears down. The only thing that I didn't care for was the shape of the sharpened gouge when the leg was set for 23 degrees. (just not what I've gotten use to) My wolverine vari-jig "leg" is simply set about half way w/ 1-3/4" stick out. Now this changes the nose angle. The most common Raptor I use is marked "45", this gives me an approx. angle of 55 degrees. Don't quote me on exact degrees but somewhere close. I have two grinders with different grit wheels so making changes with the Raptor tools is simple and without wasteful grinding.
Bill

Thom Sturgill
07-23-2012, 1:06 PM
I have the full set also, and for the same reason, consistent grind. I have a soft wheel and it seems to be disappearing rapidly. My next large purchase is a CBN wheel so that problem will go away. I need to mark each tool as to the setup jig I use, and wish I had a 25 for my detail gouge.

Jon Prouty
07-23-2012, 1:08 PM
I tried again last night and made sure everything was setup perfect. Sill getting angles on the nose a few degrees off but I am not good enough to tell when working between 55 and 60 degrees anyway. still like them for getting my gear all set up. Thom - you will love the CBN wheel, I love mine.

Jon