PDA

View Full Version : Straight from steam box to glue-up?

Charles Wiggins
07-20-2012, 6:34 PM
I am making some lazy susans to go into a corner cabinet out of 1/2" BB ply and I am going to wrap the edge with ~1/4" birch which will sit ~3/4" proud of the ply top to form a lip. I am planning to steam bend the strips. Originally, I was planning to make a dummy form to bend the edging around while it dried back out, like bending chair parts; but I saw this video from Matthew Kenney at Fine Woodworking (http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/30563/steam-bending-simplified) where he goes straight from the steam box to glue-up. Essentially, I would be using the actual work piece as the inner blocking and I would have outer blocking against the outside of the edging to provide even pressure while the wood and glue dries. Anyone else ever done this? Any downside?

237280 237282

Thanks,
Charles

johnny means
07-20-2012, 8:44 PM
Steam bending gives you very little time to actually do your bending. I wouldn't want to add the gluing to the mix.

Steve Baumgartner
07-20-2012, 8:49 PM
I've used the inner piece as a form for bending, but never glued it up at the same time. I'd be worried about the heat and moisture affecting the glue. But, since I haven't tried it I can't say for sure.

Bill White
07-21-2012, 11:33 AM
Don't. Steam it, tie it to dry while coiling a little tighter than the actual application.
Bill

Charles Wiggins
07-21-2012, 1:22 PM
Thanks for the replies. After your advice and giving it a few seconds of real thought I've decided to bend first and glue later.

Jay Jolliffe
07-21-2012, 2:17 PM
Charles...That's the way you do it....I've done my share of steam bending & lamination bending & always let the pieces dry before gluing.

Larry Edgerton
07-22-2012, 8:13 AM
Another tip......

I do as the others have suggested, drying in a form before glueup but I have also found that for whatever reason the ends of the bend try to straighten out no matter what you do. For this reason I always make the piece several inches longer on each end at the steaming/drying point and cut to length when done.

Larry