PDA

View Full Version : Turning a Beaded Vessel.....

Wally Dickerman
07-20-2012, 1:01 PM
A couple of shots showing the turning and beading on a HF. I usually use a glue block and a faceplate. A chuck just gets in my way. A faceplate is the most secure fastening anyway.

The vessel is 7 inches tall w/o the finial. It's figured BL maple. The finial is a style that I have used for several years...C and C welcome.

Oops....I forgot to show my beading tool. Oh well, maybe next time:)

Dale Miner
07-20-2012, 1:15 PM
Oops....I forgot to show my beading tool. Oh well, maybe next time:)

What a tease!

Wally, the shape is very nice, and the beads combine with the figure to really show the piece off.

Thanks for the photos and how to.

Till 'next time',

Dale

James Roberts
07-20-2012, 1:31 PM
Wally, thanks for the pics. It's nice to have some examples of work in progress to gauge where one is when attempting to copy a masters work.

Jim Burr
07-20-2012, 9:35 PM
That's really cool! And Happy Birthday Wally!!!!

Bernie Weishapl
07-20-2012, 10:22 PM
Thanks for sharing Wally. Nice looking HF. Yes I would love to see your beading tool.

Fred Belknap
07-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Nice job of beading. I think your beading tool works better than mine, might be the dummy behind the tool though. Does end grain forms bead better than side grain forms?

Mike Cruz
07-21-2012, 7:21 AM
Good question, Fred...I've been wondering the same thing. I've done two beaded HFs...both end grain (spindle turning orientation as opposed to bowl). I kinda imagined that bowl oriented beading would pose a challenge since you'd be actually beading end grain on two sides of the form. Would love to hear Wally's thoughts.

Wally, I have "my" way of layout and cutting them. I'd love to see a little more "depth" in your methods. If you wouldn't mind expounding on them, I'd really appreciate it. Likewise, I'd love to see what you are beading with (beading tool, or gouge/skew/whatever combination). Thanks.

Josh Bowman
07-21-2012, 7:39 AM
Man that curve looks good to my eye! The beads are really great but,I wish I could make a continuous curve like that. Oh and happy belated birthday!

Richard Madden
07-21-2012, 10:45 AM
As I recall, this "tease" was brought up a year or so ago...and to no avail. Maybe you guys will have better luck with Mr. Dickerman.

Steve Schlumpf
07-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Beautiful work as always Wally! Funny how you forgot a photo of your beading tool.... again!! Looking forward to seeing your next turning!! Have fun!

Wally Dickerman
07-21-2012, 1:13 PM
Nice job of beading. I think your beading tool works better than mine, might be the dummy behind the tool though. Does end grain forms bead better than side grain forms?

Fred, Mike, I've done as many cross grain beaded pieces as I have end grain. As long as I'm using good solid wood it doesn't seem to matter.

My shop-made beading tool.....What started out as a joke on WoW many years ago about my "secret" beading tool remains today. I have shown pics of it though.237332

Mike Cruz
07-21-2012, 4:11 PM
Thanks, Wally.

But, um, I guess it is still a secret, huh? I mean, it apparently has a nice handle...:D

Greg Just
07-21-2012, 4:46 PM
I think the tool really is secret. I searched this forum and could not find a picture of Wally's tool but I did find some information within one of Wally's threads from Harvey Meyer that shows his homemade tool.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?143249-Beaded-Hollowforms&p=1456774#post1456774

Wally Dickerman
07-21-2012, 6:08 PM
I think the tool really is secret. I searched this forum and could not find a picture of Wally's tool but I did find some information within one of Wally's threads from Harvey Meyer that shows his homemade tool.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?143249-Beaded-Hollowforms&p=1456774#post1456774
The "secret" beading tool really is just silliness but fun. I've been accused more than once of not sharing. I've shared a heck of a lot of my turning methods here and elsewhere, and will continue to do so, but I think that I'll stay with the "secret" tool.

Most beading tools are scrapers, used with the handle up and cutting below center. I use my tool with the handle down and cutting well above center. Sanding usually starts with 320. I sand in both forward and reverse with the first grit.

My record is a tall vessel with 62 beads.

Fred Belknap
07-21-2012, 6:46 PM
Thanks Wally for the info on end/side grain question. My beading tool looks a lot like yours, brown wooden handle. Me thinks I haven't given it the benefit of the doubt. The first time I used it was a failure so I think I need to just try harder. Handle up, handle down, flute up, flute down, there is just so many ways to present a tool. I can make parallel burn lines with mine though.:rolleyes: