PDA

View Full Version : advice motor for my bench grinder

John Yano
07-20-2012, 10:21 AM
Hi folks,

I'm planning to uprage bench grinder. I have had this HF grinder for years and its time to change the motor.

I want to get a 3ph 60hz 56c TEFC
motor. Had a look at Baldors, and found one on here that is compatible https://www.mrosupply.com/product/26618-Baldor_Electric_Motors-Motors_AC_Motors_General_Purpose

What are you folks using and do you like what you have? what do you think of Baldors? what are the alternatives?

Very grateful for your attention!

Don Jarvie
07-20-2012, 1:45 PM
I assume the grinder is separate from the motor? Baldors are great but you can probably find on used on Ebay or Craigslist for 1/2 the money at least.

Bruce Page
07-20-2012, 2:21 PM
Is there a reason not to buy a conventional single phase bench grinder? There are several nice grinders available in that price range that come with more horsepower, wheels, tool rests, guards, etc.

Greg Portland
07-20-2012, 3:10 PM
What are you folks using and do you like what you have? what do you think of Baldors? what are the alternatives?
I have a Grizzly Industrial grinder and really like it. However, that is an all in one unit, not a motor -> belt -> grinding wheel.

Consider getting a sealed motor or prevent metal particulate from entering the motor.

Is there a reason not to buy a conventional single phase bench grinder?
Bruce, one advantage of a motor + belt + shaft/grinding wheel is that you can also have different shafts with attachments (belt sander, multiple 1" belts for sharpening, buffers, etc.). This saves the cost of buying multiple motors + each attachment is lighter w/o a motor. Basically it may be a potential benefit in smaller shops.

Larry Browning
07-21-2012, 9:01 AM
Hi folks,

I'm planning to uprage bench grinder. I have had this HF grinder for years and its time to change the motor.

what do you think of Baldors?

You have something old and well used from Harbor Freight and you want to add a new Baldor motor to it?
Wow! Not trying to sound condescending, but that seems to me like you want to add a Nascar engine to a Yogu.

Plus, most bench grinders are a single unit, replacing the motor doesn't seem too practical. Baldor makes a whole line of bench grinders. All of which are fantastic, and will last you a lifetime.

Bill White
07-21-2012, 11:26 AM
That would be kinda like puttin' an English saddle on a jackass.
Bill

Myk Rian
07-21-2012, 1:28 PM
Tough crowd eh, John?
I had one of those Baldor motors. Sold it for $50, brand new.
3ph is easy to find on CL, or WW forums.
If you like the HF grinder, keep it.