PDA

View Full Version : Shave pony

Paul Saffold
07-20-2012, 9:22 AM
I made this shave pony a few weeks ago. I looked a few examples on the net. Alf wrote on her blog about the one she made (Musings from the workbench). If you google "The galoot's shaving pony" there are more pictures courtesy of Dave Mathews, Robb Young and Tom Holloway.

Mine is a quick and dirty one made from rough cut oak from dumpster diving. Yes, I sure do and am proud of it. I didn't clean it up. It doesn't need to look pretty to work. Using it sure beats using a vise. I might add leather to the jaws. We'll have to see after I use it for awhile. It won't get a lot of use anyhow as I don't do much spindle type work, but it sure is handy when I do. I wish I had made it long ago.

Steve Friedman
07-20-2012, 9:34 AM
I love that. I use my bench vises as shaving horses and it's a pain and a bit too low.

On a related note, I wish someone would design one to be held in your lap. I want a portable shaving horse to use while sitting on the beach, in the middle of the woods, or on the rocks along the Maine coast.

Thanks for sharing.

Steve

Dave Anderson NH
07-20-2012, 10:32 AM
I made one from the Galoot network design about 15 years ago it worked well but was not as comfortable to use as a regular shave horse. I found that I used it so little that eventually all of the old framing and trim lumber was cut up during a shop cleanout and used as kindling for the wood stove. I just got tired of looking at it sitting in the corner and it went up in smoke.

Paul Saffold
07-20-2012, 11:17 AM
Dave, I'm sure the horses are more comfortable, especially for extended use, but they also take up a lot more space. For the casual user the pony has it's advantages.

Don Orr
07-20-2012, 11:50 AM
This is very interesting. Do you use it sitting or standing?

Dave Anderson NH
07-20-2012, 12:04 PM
You use it standing up Don. That's why it is uncomfortable. Over time your foot gets tired. I suppose that if you had a stool of the right height you could use it sitting and it would be somewhat more comfortable.

Paul Saffold
07-20-2012, 5:37 PM
No Dave, sitting on a chair or stool. This youtube video shows one being used starting about 1min,30 sec.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqBdT8JB0G0&feature=player_detailpage

robert dankert
07-20-2012, 6:33 PM
....I might add leather to the jaws. We'll have to see after I use it for awhile. ...

I made a free standing horse. After using it I added leather. It did improve holding.

Mark Dorman
07-20-2012, 8:25 PM
Thanks for sharing the idea.
and the video. Another thing on the bucket list

Ken Parris
08-18-2012, 8:52 PM
I have one similiar to those shown, I got the idea from one of the chairmakers books. I use it camping, it clamps to the wooden bench in the campground and a folding chair works well with it. It lets you set you heel on the ground and operate it with your toe. At the shop, I put it in a bench vise on the low bench and set the small tool chest under it that I use for my tools when traveling. This sets a good height for supporting my foot and allowing me to operate the pony. At the bench I use one of the several stools in the shop. Doesn't take up much room when not in use and works very well for making spindles.

Ken