PDA

View Full Version : Curtis Rosche - How Bad Will 65-70 Hours Be?

Belinda Barfield
07-20-2012, 9:20 AM
Just thought I'd share my week with you Curtis. I'll let you be the judge of how bad 65 to 70 hours can be. :D

Monday 6:30 to 5, Tuesday 6:30 to 5:30. Then we took on an expedited project. Wednesday 6:15 to 10 (that's p.m.). Thursday 6:30 to 10:30. Friday 6:15 to 5 (I hope). I sat down at my desk twice yesterday for about five minutes at a time. Since Wednesday morning I've had six cups of coffee, half of an 8 oz Red Bull, a fried egg sandwich, and a peanut butter sandwich. I've had a total of 8 hours sleep in the past two days. We did complete the project last night and delivered it two hours ahead of the deadline.

Indications that I was way past my limit last night: I couldn't find my glasses because they were on my face, I caught myself humming the theme of "Rawhide" (you're too young for that one), I stuck a razor blade in my thumb and couldn't do anything but laugh about it. This morning I walked out to the mailbox a quarter of a mile away to drop in some outgoing mail, and picked up yesterday's mail. Got back to the parking lot of the office and thought, "Dang, I forgot to put the mail in the mailbox" (because I had yesterday's mail in my hand). :eek:

You're a lot younger than me, so you'll probably be just fine. My advice? Get that degree and find a nice, cushy job, save every penny you can, and retire early! :D

Scott Shepherd
07-20-2012, 9:49 AM
Belinda, don't be blaming all that on the hours :D :::::ducking for cover::::::::

Belinda Barfield
07-20-2012, 10:44 AM
Belinda, don't be blaming all that on the hours :D :::::ducking for cover::::::::

You're REALLY lucky I'm incapable of driving to Richmond without falling asleep. Going to be at IWF by any chance?

curtis rosche
07-20-2012, 11:36 AM
You're REALLY lucky I'm incapable of driving to Richmond without falling asleep. Going to be at IWF by any chance?
This is why I love this forum.

Ill let you know how it goes for me. Semi nice thing for me is, if I cant handle the work for some reason (though everyone knows that once a wrestler always a wrestler and you never quit no matter what) the two employment agencies I have been using will feed me another job. I have enough backround a general skills. I asked two weeks ago for another job because the one they had givven me was 20hrs a week. I wouldve started this week but they only do orientations on mondays and i needed drug tests and physicals first.

Belinda Barfield
07-20-2012, 11:54 AM
You'll be fine Curtis. I blame my temporary insanity on the fact that I was born blond (shut up "big brother" Steve). As for never quitting, I quit when I get stupid - hopefully that never happens to you. :D If you're ever in Georgia and need a job let me know. I bought lunch for everyone in the shop yesterday (ribs, tater salad, baked beans, and rolls) and I never got around to eating mine. So, the hours are long, but the food is good around here.

Tony De Masi
07-20-2012, 12:06 PM
As a young man you will be fine Curtis, as long as you are getting paid for all of your time too. Try working those amount of hours for about ten years and only getting paid for 40 hours a week. That can hurt some.

Scott Shepherd
07-20-2012, 1:02 PM
I was born blond (shut up "big brother" Steve).

Ahem, uhhh, "little brother" Steve. Who you kidding? :D (Man, I'm on fire today!) :)

No IWF for me. Too many other toys waiting in line to be purchased to go get a new list!

Belinda Barfield
07-20-2012, 1:30 PM
As a young man you will be fine Curtis, as long as you are getting paid for all of your time too. Try working those amount of hours for about ten years and only getting paid for 40 hours a week. That can hurt some.

Dang skippy Tony, I'm salaried.

Ahem, uhhh, "little brother" Steve. Who you kidding? :D (Man, I'm on fire today!) :)

No IWF for me. Too many other toys waiting in line to be purchased to go get a new list!

Dear Steve, it should please you to know that I am ten minutes away from the airport and have booked the next flight to Richmond. I intend to have a nice nap on the way so I can be refreshed and renewed for my efforts to whup up on you but good!

Scott Shepherd
07-20-2012, 1:35 PM
Dear Steve, it should please you to know that I am ten minutes away from the airport and have booked the next flight to Richmond. I intend to have a nice nap on the way so I can be refreshed and renewed for my efforts to whup up on you but good!

I'll be the one at the airport with the "Welcome to Richmond, Big Sis" sign :p I'll promptly take my beating!

Jeff Nicol
07-20-2012, 6:43 PM
When I was still working and not full of arthritis and worn out parts, I was working as a traveler out of my work area. The drive was just over 2 hours one way and all the hotels were booked solid within an hour of the plant we were working at so we just drove the 2 hours back and forth every day. But we were working 12 hour nights on a 24 hour a day job and we worked 23 days straight through and it was during the winter so the roads were not always good on the drives. So what it came down to was sleep for about 7 hours if possible, get up drive work 12 hours drive for 2 hours go to bed and start all over again. I was one tired out pup and I was 40 years old at the time, but let me tell you the money was good as we got night differential and we worked on New Years eve and day for some double time and a half so worth the lack of sleep!

So if us old folks can do it you should be able to easily hand some 60 hour weeks,

Jeff

Belinda Barfield
07-20-2012, 7:56 PM
You know Jeff, it's the damaged parts that hurt the worst isn't it? I broke my right foot several years ago. I've also sprained that ankle three times. I tend to favor that foot and place most of my weight on my left foot when standing. Last night my left heel was swollen and I had to ice it for 30 minutes or so. I wish I was living out of a hotel. When I get home there are still meals to be prepared, laundry to be done, etc. Maybe I should move back in with my parents. :rolleyes:

Scott Shepherd
07-20-2012, 8:07 PM
I'm right there with you Belinda. Ice on the ankle after those type days. A ladder kills me for some reason. If I'm on a ladder for 5 minutes, I'll be limping the next day. Ankle breaks are the worst. I spent an hour on a ladder doing an installation last weekend. Ankle was locked up tight at a right angle the next morning.

Jason Roehl
07-20-2012, 8:10 PM
Scott, do you wear tennis shoes while on the ladder, or a thick- and stiff-soled boot?

Rich Engelhardt
07-21-2012, 7:01 AM
Scott, do you wear tennis shoes while on the ladder, or a thick- and stiff-soled boot?<--Bingo! 5 min on a ladder in the wrong footwear is 10 min too long. Those heavy stiff soled boots only feel like they weigh 100# when you're climbing the rungs. Once you plant yourself the weight becomes an asset.
My trusty old Kinney hikers (my ladder climbing boots from the days I had my own painting company years ago) got forgotten a month ago when I painted the outside of a ranch house/detached garage and spent about 12 hours all told climbing a ladder.
'bout killed me...
I have another ranch house to paint in the next month & I'm not going to repeat that mistake again.

The good news is that even @ 60, I still have it when to comes to slinging a brush. :)

Scott Shepherd
07-21-2012, 8:12 AM
Scott, do you wear tennis shoes while on the ladder, or a thick- and stiff-soled boot?

Boots mostly, but doesn't matter. Due to my break and the hardware required to fix it, it seems it's something I'll live with for the rest of my life. I've found doctors that say they see what causes it, but they don't know how to fix it. Essentially, I broke my heel off the rest of my foot.

Tim Boger
07-21-2012, 1:02 PM
Here is another perspective .... consider now, what you'll be thinking after 6 months, 1 ... 2 ... 5 years of busting your a** ..... will the payoff be worth the life you hadn't lived?

I spent alotta years self employed chasing the all mighty dollar .... never realized much from it, seems like you get to spend a little more on lifes toys, but then you struggle to find time to use them.

I don't know .... just sayin'

Tim

David Weaver
07-21-2012, 2:17 PM
Earlier in my life, I spent about 8 years...maybe 10 working like that. I pinched my pennies to some extent, relative to my income. When I was in college, i pinched my pennies almost hard enough for the zinc inside them to liquify.

I agree with the prior post, if you're not banking that money and saving it for later - almost all of it - you're wasting your time, and it isn't worth it. It permanently changes your brain, and the work needs to go hand in hand with some future benefit.

Where I was previously, I watched a lot of people work 60+ hours a week and then spend most or all of their money because they were competitive at work and outside of it. There may be some point in my life where I go through bumps and run out of money, but it won't be for spending it foolishly when I was working hard thinking the sun would always shine on my backside.

There's an old saying, and if you can't learn it, you'll always be at zero (or below). "it's easier to save a dollar than it is to make a dollar". People don't realize that until they're crying over the dollars they didn't save earlier in life.

Jerome Stanek
07-21-2012, 7:10 PM
When I worked those kind of hours I enjoyed what I was doing it didn't seem like work. But I remember when I was just out of high school I worked for my parents in a greenhouse and that was something I did not enjoy and it really wore on me.