PDA

View Full Version : Refridgerator Ice/Water fed from RO system?

Matt Meiser
07-20-2012, 8:48 AM
I've never had a fridge with an icemaker because other than some apartments for a few years I've always lived in houses with wells with lots of minerals. When we redo our kitchen we plan to buy all new appliances and my wife has her heart set on an icemaker and not getting one really limits the options and actually may INCREASE the price. Our well water is pretty good after the softener. I could conceivably add a carbon filter in the line to the fridge and the fridges all come with a filter too (thinking the first would save a lot of money on filters) which would probably work good enough. But I also have an RO system. Can the fridge be fed from an RO system? We've only got a small tank, but if needed I could easily add a second or a larger tank.

Brian Kerley
07-20-2012, 9:05 AM
Sure thing they can. My parents house has had an RO hooked up straight to the fridge since forever. RO unit is under the sink and feeds the line that runs across the kitchen to the fridge. They also have a relatively small unit. Maybe a few gallons?

Dan Friedrichs
07-20-2012, 9:13 AM
Ours is. Removed the ice maker water filter and just plumbed it into the RO. No problems in 4+ years...

Rich Engelhardt
07-20-2012, 10:59 AM
We just never hooked our ice maker up for a few years. When we finally got around to hooking a line to it - the thing doesn't work anyhow.

Matt Meiser
07-20-2012, 11:14 AM
I'm thinking that I won't get away with that.

Ole Anderson
07-20-2012, 5:30 PM
Ours is. Removed the ice maker water filter and just plumbed it into the RO. No problems in 4+ years...

Why would you remove the existing filter? Maybe it was an external one? Internal, I see no reason to remove it. RO water can still have some things that can be removed by the proper filter. If you don't think so just taste some Tampa Bay water that is sea water thru an RO system. On the other hand if you are happy with it, no reason to add complexity.

Matt Meiser
07-20-2012, 5:32 PM
On my RO system there is a sediment filter, 2 carbon filters, the RO membrane, and then a final filter. If its getting through those, I highly doubt the one that comes with the fridge is going to do much good.

Larry Frank
07-20-2012, 8:57 PM
One reason to remove the refrigerator filter is that RO systems generally have a lower pressure and the filter will reduce it even more.

I have well water and it has lots of minerals including iron and sulfur and is very hard. I have an air induction filter which removes the sulfur and iron and the water softener takes out the hardness. Even with these working properly, I still have buildup in the coffee makers. We put in the RO about 6 months ago and no longer have any buildup in the coffee maker or in the water from the refrigerator. My wife is very please with it. I do not really care to drink it as it has no taste at all and I am used to some dissolved minerals in the water.