PDA

View Full Version : OK, now I HAVE seen it all.

Rick Potter
07-20-2012, 4:02 AM
Seen prowling the streets of SoCal, probably looking for someone to race..............a green Toyota Prius with a flame job.

Rick Potter

Rick Fisher
07-20-2012, 4:25 AM
Hmm..

I am picturing a bigger electric motor ...? ?

Van Huskey
07-20-2012, 5:01 AM
With the right electric motors a electric car would be awesome in a red light to red light race, potential 4 wheel drive HUGE torque from 0 RPM etc, however sarcasm is probably more likely.

John McClanahan
07-20-2012, 7:54 AM
I have driven an older Prius several times. They have surprisingly good power. If the ECU was moded to keep the gas engine running while stopped, it might be a stop light sleeper.

John

harry hood
07-20-2012, 1:08 PM
A stock Tesla does 0-60 in under 4 seconds. Personally, I have a 2" receiver hitch on my Prius (for a bike rack) but put one of those propeller covers in it that the big diesel pickups always have as a joke. There's another Prius in my neighborhood with very cool hand painted flames on it.

Greg Portland
07-20-2012, 1:55 PM
Here's a 1972 Datsun 1200 (converted to electric) that will blow the Tesla away:
http://www.plasmaboyracing.com/history/2010.php
http://www.plasmaboyracing.com/videos.php

David Kumm
07-20-2012, 2:37 PM
Fiskar makes a fast electric too. Personally I would be happy if the Prius drivers would just get out of the left lane and let me through. Dave

harry hood
07-20-2012, 4:18 PM
Yes, we'd all benefit if people obeyed the law while driving.

Ole Anderson
07-20-2012, 5:23 PM
Personally I would be happy if the Prius drivers would just get out of the left lane and let me through. Dave

Ah, left laners, my FAVORITE pet peeve!

ray hampton
07-20-2012, 6:23 PM
Yes, we'd all benefit if people obeyed the law while driving.

If we all obey the law, WHO will support the police/court/ judges /lawyers

Jeff Nicol
07-20-2012, 6:32 PM
I always wonder why the Prius drivers are the ones that are going the fastest on the interstate, seems to defeat the whole purpose in my eyes, but one never knows.

I think it would be fun to put a big gas engine in a little "Green"machine, but keep it looking pretty stock. Then open up the headers remotely and roar off the line sans mufflers! It would make the GW crowd go nuts!

Burn em if you got em!

Jeff

Brian Elfert
07-20-2012, 11:19 PM
A Prius will still get very good MPG even if driven fast. What I don't understand is the Prius drivers who will drive much slower than the flow of traffic presumably to get better MPG. My co-worker has a Prius and he gets 50 MPG or better and he keeps up with traffic on the highway. Is it really worth driving slow to get a few more MPG when you already get 50 MPG?

harry hood
07-20-2012, 11:46 PM
I don't drive fast anyway since the potential time savings isn't large enough to justify the increased risk for me.

Rick Potter
07-21-2012, 12:36 AM
Interesting which way a thread can go. I posted it because I thought the whole thing was a bit oxymoronic, and funny too.

This particular Prius was driven by a middle aged woman, and the flames were a particularly bad set probably from the local vinyl sign shop.

By the way, I have a friend who was involved in Exide Battery's electric motor race cars. They had a Bonneville car, dragster, and a F-1 type car. I think a motorcycle was involved too, but not sure.

I have always wanted to convert my '22 Model T to electric, but could never afford it.

Rick Potter

harry hood
07-21-2012, 2:00 AM
An electric Model T would be really cool. It's not as strange as it sounds; there were lots of contemporaries that were electric like the Detroit Electric model 47.

Larry Edgerton
07-22-2012, 7:33 AM
I always wonder why the Prius drivers are the ones that are going the fastest on the interstate, seems to defeat the whole purpose in my eyes, but one never knows.

I think it would be fun to put a big gas engine in a little "Green"machine, but keep it looking pretty stock. Then open up the headers remotely and roar off the line sans mufflers! It would make the GW crowd go nuts!

Burn em if you got em!

Jeff

That would be cool!

Along those lines I used to be into building Miata's. My insane one made 674 hp, and apeared stock except for the full cage, and my street one made 257 rwhp, again looking totally stock. Loved to pick on the Mustangs, Camaros, Vettes and ocassionally a Porsche. The look on their face as I slid by them was priceless!:confused:

With a Prius it would be just that much better.....

Must finish house.......

Larry

Bill Cunningham
07-22-2012, 1:24 PM
I'd like to own a HUGE Hummer.. The sticker on the back would read : "It ain't easy being green" :D

Rick Potter
07-22-2012, 9:45 PM
Larry,

Every now and then I wonder what happened to the 'Monster Miata's', that had the Ford V8 in them. They made them for a couple years, but I have never seen one for sale. Kind of like a Japanese Cobra.

Reminds me of when I had a lot of disposable income (that would be just before the wedding in 1964). I had an Austin Healey 100-6, with a fuel injected Chevy 327 and 4 speed. Boy I miss that car. Used to race XKE's and Corvettes. Never found a Cobra though, although a buddy had a new Sunbeam Alpine Tiger. Never lost.

Putting things in perspective, the '64 327 short block, new from the dealer was $248, $125 for a set of fancy valve job '63 fuelie heads, and $75 for the injection setup. It actually ran better with a big 4 barrel, or the dual quads I had, but the injection was great looks.

Ah, memory lane. Things always look better in the rear view mirror.

Rick Potter