PDA

View Full Version : Jigsaws

Steven Hsieh
07-19-2012, 10:45 PM
I'm wondering has anyone own the Bosch JS470EB and compared it to Festool trion jigsaw? Festool is $111 more

Todd Brewer
07-19-2012, 11:02 PM
Can't help you with your question, but I have the Festool on my list of tools to buy. I have a DeWalt jigsaw and it blows air and dust in my face but leaves dust in front of the blade. So done with that!

I have drunk the green kool-aid, and it is good.

Curious to hear about other jigsaws that don't blow in your face.

Van Huskey
07-19-2012, 11:30 PM
The first question I would ask is do you need the Nth degree of jigsaw "quality". On site installers I would expect yes, a fine furniture maker with a bandsaw most of the time I expect that to be no. The Bosch is very good although putting a number to it is subjective to me it is 95% of the Festool and it just isn't a tool I use often or need the extra quality when I do. In any event you may want to see when the JS572 will be available, it looks to be much closer to the Festool and maybe jumps it in some respects since the Trion is pretty long in the tooth but I have no idea when the Carvex may get here.

Greg R Bradley
07-19-2012, 11:46 PM
You probably want to track down a Bosch 1590 or 1591 depending on preference for D Handle or Barrel Grip. You will have to find a real tool store or buy online as the JS470EB is the "replacement" for the commercial quality Bosch Jig Saws for the BORGs. They are a sad excuse for the real thing but I'm sure there is a bunch more profit in the cheap chinese saws.

I also have the Festool Trion and find that it is VERY similar to the Bosch 1590/1591. Those are the two main jig saws that have the extra blade stabilization mechanism that helps both of them cut more accurately. The Festool has to be manually adjusted for different blade thickness and the Bosch 1590/1591 is automatic. The Bosch has a better blower to keep the blade area dust free. The dust extraction, anti-splinter, and variable speed mechanism vary slightly between the two with no clear "winner". I have a slight preference for the Bosch on big stuff and Festool on finer work - emphasis on SLIGHT.

They both use the same blades.

If you prefer a D-Handle Jig Saw the variable speed trigger with the speed dial controlling the max speed is a big advantage on the Bosch 1590. You set max speed with the dial and the trigger controls the speed up to that point. The barrel 1591 and both style Trions have only the speed dial and the switch is on/off. If you want a stackable case and dust control on the Bosch just order the 1590EVSL or 1591EVSL. If you don't car about cases, you can buy the dust mechanism for about $20.

Van Huskey
07-19-2012, 11:52 PM
I was thinking the 1590/1591 was discontinued! DOH! Those are every bit the equal of the Trion one can argue either way over the tiny stuff though.

Greg R Bradley
07-20-2012, 12:09 AM
Van,
Home Depot and Lowes are certainly saying that. At the last Bosch event at my local tool supplier, the Bosch reps claimed that they just went "Pro only" and come packaged in the Sortimo case with the dust extraction option for around $195. The part number just changes in the last digit from a "K" to an "L". They did say they would eventually be replaced by a new "pro" jig saw, which I just figured out from your post is the JS572.

Steven Hsieh
07-20-2012, 12:14 AM
Thanks

I guess i will be getting the 1591EVSL

Bill ThompsonNM
07-20-2012, 12:56 AM
Try googling. '.
Cpo Bosch.

Larry Gipson
07-20-2012, 1:39 AM
I have the Festool jig saw and think it's great. Expensive, yes ($300). The fit and finish are probably the best of any. The zero clearance insert, however, is the main difference in cut quality after the guides. Jig saws tear out on the up stroke so Festool put a little plastic window that surrounds the blade, creating the zero clearance. Works great.

If there's a Bosch saw with a zero clearance capability, I'd try it.

Van Huskey
07-20-2012, 1:52 AM
I have the Festool jig saw and think it's great. Expensive, yes ($300). The fit and finish are probably the best of any. The zero clearance insert, however, is the main difference in cut quality after the guides. Jig saws tear out on the up stroke so Festool put a little plastic window that surrounds the blade, creating the zero clearance. Works great.

If there's a Bosch saw with a zero clearance capability, I'd try it.

The 1590/1591 has a ZCI and the 572 does also but it hasn't been released yet.

Victor Robinson
07-20-2012, 1:54 AM
Holey moley, there's a dust extraction accessory for my 1590?? It's an awesome jig and the only thing I've ever felt was missing on it was dust/chip collection!

Van Huskey
07-20-2012, 3:14 AM
Holey moley, there's a dust extraction accessory for my 1590?? It's an awesome jig and the only thing I've ever felt was missing on it was dust/chip collection!

Victor, I think this is what you are looking for, verify it before you pony up the cash!
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-JA1005-Jigsaw-Dust-Collection/dp/B0009H5KO0

Craig Michael
07-20-2012, 8:26 AM
You probably want to track down a Bosch 1590 or 1591 depending on preference for D Handle or Barrel Grip. You will have to find a real tool store or buy online as the JS470EB is the "replacement" for the commercial quality Bosch Jig Saws for the BORGs. They are a sad excuse for the real thing but I'm sure there is a bunch more profit in the cheap chinese saws.

I also have the Festool Trion and find that it is VERY similar to the Bosch 1590/1591. Those are the two main jig saws that have the extra blade stabilization mechanism that helps both of them cut more accurately. The Festool has to be manually adjusted for different blade thickness and the Bosch 1590/1591 is automatic. The Bosch has a better blower to keep the blade area dust free. The dust extraction, anti-splinter, and variable speed mechanism vary slightly between the two with no clear "winner". I have a slight preference for the Bosch on big stuff and Festool on finer work - emphasis on SLIGHT.

If you prefer a D-Handle Jig Saw the variable speed trigger with the speed dial controlling the max speed is a big advantage on the Bosch 1590. You set max speed with the dial and the trigger controls the speed up to that point. The barrel 1591 and both style Trions have only the speed dial and the switch is on/off. If you want a stackable case and dust control on the Bosch just order the 1590EVSL or 1591EVSL. If you don't car about cases, you can buy the dust mechanism for about $20.

Cannot say it better.

Matt Meiser
07-20-2012, 9:04 AM
I had a Bosch 1587 and bought a used Festool, the older model (FS2E?) I had only 2 reasons for doing so: 1) I wanted a barrel grip, and 2) I got a decent price on the Festool. If 2 hadn't happened and I'd found a Bosch instead I'd have gone for that.

Granted I'm comparing older models, but from a quality perspective they are very comparable.

Victor Robinson
07-20-2012, 12:20 PM
Victor, I think this is what you are looking for, verify it before you pony up the cash!
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-JA1005-Jigsaw-Dust-Collection/dp/B0009H5KO0

Thanks Van...looks to be the ticket!

Todd Brewer
07-22-2012, 9:56 AM
Great thread. The Bosch sounds like a great jigsaw. I rarely use a jigsaw but would like to replace mine someday.

Seems like a lot of people like the barrel grip. I've always had the other style. What are the advantages of the barrel grip over the D handle?

Steven Hsieh
07-22-2012, 10:23 AM
There is no right or wrong. Some people like the D handle. Some like barrel grip. Whatever is comfortable

Charlie Gummer
07-22-2012, 12:11 PM
Hi Steven,

I just received the 470EB this week, I ordered it from Amazon at 139.99 and it was eligible for prime shipping.

I've used it only briefly but am planning to build 3 fence gates in the next couple of weeks and will be using the saw more. The saw is designed with good attention to detail and feels very well constructed.

I'll try and post more when I've used it a bit more.

Charlie

Glenn Ancona
07-22-2012, 5:43 PM
Festool jig saw is the only fes tool Ive ever sent back under the 30 day return policy.
We own just about every tool Fes makes but bosch makes the better jig saw IMO
Have had one 20 years as a daily user. When on the Carvtex - anyone ? Van you must know ?

tom gepfrich
07-22-2012, 11:09 PM
While I cannot comment on the Festool, the Bosch I own is awesome. Every time I use it which is infrequent, I ask myself how come I dont use it more. I picked mine up in clearance for $100.

Curt Harms
07-23-2012, 7:13 AM

I have that one a 1587. I didn't care for the little clear plastic piece, it attracted fine dust which made it hard to see the line. Dust collection is quite good without the cover when hooked to a vac. Also think about hose management with the dust collection attachment. I have a Fein vac with its nice flexible hose and it can still be a bit of a pain. I didn't try just the bag, never had much luck with just bags.

Greg R Bradley
07-24-2012, 11:40 AM
The Bosch 1587 is an older design than the 1590/1591. It has a reputation for being rugged design but a problematic blade change mechanism.

It does NOT have the lower blade guides like the 1590/1591 that help the cut accuracy. According to Van, the Bosch JS572 will have them when it comes out. Also the Festool Trion has them although they have to be manually adjusted for blade thickness.

The dust collection on the Bosch 1590/1591 and Festool Trion is similar. You can use either without the plastic guard for good dust collection and good blade visibility or with the guard for better dust collection at the loss of some visibility.

The Festool 27mm non-antistatic hose is the least problem while working. The Bosch 30 mm is not bad and still has a rubber end that hooks on well to the tool. Festool antistatic hose that comes with Festool vacs is about the same. The Fein 30mm is OK for flexibility but does not hook up well to these tools without an adapter, which makes the tool harder to handle.

Lee Schierer
07-24-2012, 12:21 PM
You probably want to track down a Bosch 1590 or 1591 depending on preference for D Handle or Barrel Grip.

I just checked and Amazon has both for about $219 for the barrel grip and $239 for the D handle. With the T234X progressor blade you will get cuts as smooth as you get on a TS in hardwood.

Greg R Bradley
07-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Lee,

I think that Amazon generally does a good job of selling tools for a good price but there are better deals out there on these. When the rumors of their being discontinued were flying around about a year ago, they wanted $339 for the 1591EVSK, that is without the LBoxx and the dust collection.

My local tool supplier sells the 1590EVSL for $195 and the 1591EVSL for $205. They had a recent sale where the 1590EVSL was $164.

Toolnut and a few other have them for around $185 or so.

Home Depot seems to have done another of their dumb mistakes where it looks like a tool was priced by an MBA that doesn't understand tools. They are selling the 1590EVSL at the same price that they sold the EVSK, $179. The 1591 barrel handle kit is $2 more. That is a great deal IF they actually are the EVSL kits as stated. Be VERY careful of freight cost when buying from HD online. Sometimes they are fine, other times silly.

Lowes did a similar thing when they phased out the 1590EVSK and "replaced" it with the JS470. They sold remaining inventory of 1590 at the JS470 price of $139. I bought 7, which is probably 1-2 more than we needed. Maybe I should wait until they are collectable and try to get $339 for the two that are still unopened.

Ryan Brucks
07-24-2012, 3:09 PM
not much to add other than I have the festool and it has been fantastic for me. I never had a lot of midrange jigsaws to compare, but in the past I used a really poor Black and Decker firestorm that couldn't cut a stright line in anything.

the festool I love for its durability. I dropped mine recently and it fell right on the blade... literally bend the blade into a U. scared the crap out of me...and it had zero impact on the tool... next cut was still perfect 90 no wandering.