PDA

View Full Version : Laguna TSH1000-0253 Cabinet/Entry Doe set. Anyone using this?

Peter Quinn
07-19-2012, 6:25 PM
Anyone using the Laguna TSH1000-0253 Shaper cutter set, there web site claims its able to make both cabinet and entry/passage doors, as well as small tenons. They are very light on details, like profiles it can make, diameter, stacking details, glass doors or no? I'd love to hear from someone that has either owned it and/or used it. Thanks

Mike Heidrick
07-19-2012, 9:08 PM
I bought it, still own it, but have not used it. I will get some pics and measurements of it for you.

Mike Heidrick
07-20-2012, 12:03 AM
Diameter is 6 3/8" (maybe 6 1/4")
5 cutters and a bunch of shims all in a wooden box - no instructions. There are pins that align the cutters and a channel as well. They are insert cutters.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/P7204120.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/P7204121.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/P7204122.jpg

Peter Quinn
07-20-2012, 7:16 AM
Thanks for those great pics and the info Mike. So it comes with just the one reversible ogee pattern? At least that is what I'm seeing in the pics. Is that an ogee pattern? Do you know if they offer multiple knife patterns for those heads?

Mike Heidrick
07-20-2012, 9:36 AM
Yes it is ogee and only came with that one set of knives. I do not know if they offer other profiles.

I am guessing you can make glass doors because the straight cutters are adjustable and the straight cutter used to make the stub tenon is taller and just rides in grooves under the hood.

Really I am thinking I am going to need a lot of practice stock when I use this set LOL.

David Kumm
07-20-2012, 9:52 AM
Mike, who makes the set? Dave

Mike Heidrick
07-20-2012, 10:39 AM
I am not sure yet. No real markings I could see.

Mike Heidrick
07-21-2012, 11:48 PM
OK mounted it up yesterday and ran some 3/4" stock through it. It creates a pretty wide mortise and the profile, on both sides, does not show a lot. Not my 1t choice for 3/4" rails and stiles. The cut sure is amazing though. I will try some 1 3/8" and 2" stock next and see how it looks.

New feeder is crazy nice for this BTW.

Peter Quinn
07-22-2012, 8:08 AM
I've been looking at a similar set up from CMT, it claims to make both entry doors and cabinet doors, but it really only makes glass doors in a single sided format. To render the full profile on one side there is no room left for a panel groove. I suppose you could glue in 1/4" veneered panels and hold them in with applied stops from the back, but to me thats not nearly as strong a joint as a full cope and stick, I'd want at least some dowels in there, and the size of the molded profile is out of scale with the size of the typical cabinet door stile and rail. I see no accommodation for raised panels the require a panel groove unless as you did you run the groove in the middle of the work and get nearly none of the molded profile on either side. So its basically an entry/passage door set that you could also use for thicker cabinet or screen/glass doors, not really a full function cabinet set and entry door set. I honestly could't see a way to make a single cutter set do both but the cost was intriguing. I'd love to see wood samples of the thicker stock profiles. Is the groover shimable on the sticking cut? I don't understand why Laguna offers so little documentation on this set.

David Kumm
07-22-2012, 10:36 AM
I've got Freeborn Entry and cabinet sets and have found I prefer the look of the larger profile so most rails and stiles end up 1" or more. Freeborn sets do at least allow for mixing and matching of tongue and groove so I can use a 5/8" deep tenon for everything. I do wish they used a larger diameter system like the Euro cutters. Dave

Peter Quinn
07-22-2012, 11:40 AM
I've got Freeborn Entry and cabinet sets and have found I prefer the look of the larger profile so most rails and stiles end up 1" or more. Freeborn sets do at least allow for mixing and matching of tongue and groove so I can use a 5/8" deep tenon for everything. I do wish they used a larger diameter system like the Euro cutters. Dave

Where I work almost all the cabinet doors we make are 1 1/6" thick and we primarily use a schmidt set very similar to the freeborn, it cuts a 3/8"X3/8" profile with a 1/2" deep tongue. We use the same set for lots of wainscot, appliance panels, some storm doors. It looks great in the context of the thicker door, it makes a very strong door with a rich appearance. But on 3/4" doors there is simply no room. We use mostly freeborn for the full size doors, but most of those profiles are 1/2" molding with a 5/8" deep tongue, and that 1/2" molding is a bit much on even a 1" door to my eye, though it certainly works. 1/16" flat+1/2" molding+1/4" groove+1/4" flat works perfectly on a 1 1/6" door. We use mostly VanMorris butt hinges, I'm not sure euro hinges accommodate doors this thick? Maybe now they do, I think blum and maybe others have a few series for thicker doors?

I too wish the freeborn sets were at least a 5" large diameter, but that would be tougher to spin on smaller shapers like the PM 27, that hole in the table is barely 6" if that? 4" diameter fits perfect in a PM 27 with the largest ring, and in a delta with the largest ring too. I'd guess its a market driven decision? I think their insert heads are a larger diameter? When I make glass doors I like to have the cope on the horizontal bars include a 1/4"X1/4" stub tenon beyond the glass rabbit to aid in alignment and strengthen the glue up, and this is tough to get when using a solid fence and 4" diameter tooling. You wind up with the spindle spacer almost acting as the rub collar and you really have to back cut the back of the fence. Not sure if this is easier on an Aigner or similar fence system, but its tough and tight using a traditional solid fence that you back into the spinning cutters. Another 1" of diameter would be great! As a side note it seems freeborn's site has been done since the end of last week, hope there is no problem over there.

Mike, does the laguna set let you extend the cope a bit for glass bars? I can't quite tell from those pics, I've sent two request to them for info, booth unanswered.

David Kumm
07-22-2012, 6:35 PM
Peter, I use the Aigner fence and that is why I wish the diameter was larger. The fingers are fairly thick so the spacers can get in the way. I like everything else about the Freeborn but the size. I'm running bigger shapers though. Dave