PDA

View Full Version : Island Stovetop Vent

Mike OMelia
07-19-2012, 2:57 PM
Well, my cooktop in the kitchen is dying. So I want to replace it with a gas cooktop. We provisioned gas pipes in the right locations when we built the house. Problem is, I have granite tops, and so I am somewhat limited. I can go a bit bigger, smaller is an issue. My original cooktop had "downdraft" ventilation which further complicates the issue (very limited selection of cooktops). But if I go with overhead ventilation, my options increase significantly.

So, I was wondering if anyone ever bought one of those systems meant to go into a crafted hood (made of wood, etc) and built and installed the decorative part.

Here is an example: http://www.amazon.com/Broan-PM390-Power-Insert-Silver/dp/B000R9CFL6

Here is an install: http://www.recapturedcharm.com/2010/03/kitchen-chronicles-part-11.html

Thanks!

Mike

Mark Rakestraw
07-19-2012, 3:46 PM
I put one in last month. Same model I believe. Here's the cabinet I built, shown both closed and the open. Can't quite get myself to waste all that extra space.

237233 237234

Mike OMelia
07-19-2012, 4:25 PM
Oh, that's nice! That does look like the same model. Of course, I'm going to be hanging this from the ceiling. So really, It's just a matter of designing the "encasement". I was thinking of adding my own light fixtures, switches, etc.

Did you use a "hood liner"? And what exactly is it for?

Mike

Mark Rakestraw
07-19-2012, 4:32 PM
Thanks. I did use the hood liner. The bottom of the cabinet is recessed 4 or 5 inches, the hood liner just makes that area easier to clean, and maybe looks a bit more "finished" underneath.

Mike OMelia
07-19-2012, 5:26 PM
Mark, do you think that unit is suitable for a vent system that will "hang" from the ceiling? (over an island)

I see now what the hood liner is... thanks.

Mike

James Baker SD
07-19-2012, 5:41 PM
When I was shopping for a hood for a new cooktop for our island (I also had a dying downdraft, and did not want another downdraft), the main difference I saw between island hoods and wall mounted hoods was the symmetry. Wall hoods tended to be flat on one side and the chimney was offset to be flush with the flat side. Island hoods tended to have the chimney in the center of the hood. If you are building your own enclosure, I do not see why either style would not work. I went with a decorative hood ready to mount. My problem was I needed to mount it in the middle of a light well, but that's another issue.

James

Chris Walls
07-19-2012, 9:55 PM
Mike
I am going to soon be in near the same position. I was planning on going with the pop-up style of down draft. Did yours work ok for you ? Are you going away from it for function reasons or because of the change in the cook top ? The style I hope to be able to use will go on the back of the cook top and elevate up and down , duct work to go through the floor and out of the basement wall. Thanks

Chris

Mike OMelia
07-19-2012, 10:48 PM
Chris, go do some research in reliability regarding those pop ups. Expensive and unreliable. Not to mention that they consume some counter space. Ugly too IMHO. But in my case, a pop up isn't even an option since the island was built around the cooktop size. Lesson learned here is never let a designer do that. Always oversize it or when that cooktop dies, u gonna be screwed. As I am now. But I believe I can work this out.

Mike

Chris Walls
07-19-2012, 11:01 PM
Mike
Thanks for the reply, I didn't mean to highjack the thread. Our kitchen is in a log home with an open timber framed ceiling over the kitchen island. It would be at least a 10 - 12 foot rise to the roof decking from the top of the counter. Thus the interest in a pop-up vent. I did not want to have the stove vent dominate the room. Thanks.

Chris

Mike OMelia
07-20-2012, 12:13 AM
I didn't think this was off topic since this will be a wood based enclosure. I was looking for design ideas.

Mike

Mark Rakestraw
07-20-2012, 7:32 AM
Mark, do you think that unit is suitable for a vent system that will "hang" from the ceiling? (over an island)

I see now what the hood liner is... thanks.

Mike
Hi Mike,
No problem hanging this unit, just buy the hood liner and build your cabinet around it. As someone else mentioned it will be slightly off center, but that won't hurt anything. It is towards the lower end of cfm to be effective, especially if you want to hang it high to keep it out of your face. This particular customer didn't cook much so we decided it would be good enough. If you cook a lot, maybe stirfry, you would be better served by a "professional" unit. Of course that comes with a substancial price hike. Been a while since I shopped them but I seem to remember you have to spend in the $600-800 neighborhood to get something with substancially more cfm. A more powerful unit should also be quieter since you'll be using it on the low setting most of the time.

Mark

Mike OMelia
07-20-2012, 10:12 AM
Mark, Could you name a few of the higher end models? We do cook a lot, and I don't want it to be noisy.

Thanks,

Mike

Mark Rakestraw
07-21-2012, 8:35 PM
Hi Mike,
I haven't put one in yet, but here's what's going to go in my kitchen when our over the stove microwave/vent hood combo goes. Getting tired of the fire alarm going off.:)
http://www.prolinerangehoods.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=33_49&products_id=315

Greg Portland
07-23-2012, 12:29 PM
Well, my cooktop in the kitchen is dying. So I want to replace it with a gas cooktop. We provisioned gas pipes in the right locations when we built the house. Problem is, I have granite tops, and so I am somewhat limited. I can go a bit bigger, smaller is an issue. My original cooktop had "downdraft" ventilation which further complicates the issue (very limited selection of cooktops). But if I go with overhead ventilation, my options increase significantly.

So, I was wondering if anyone ever bought one of those systems meant to go into a crafted hood (made of wood, etc) and built and installed the decorative part.

Here is an example: http://www.amazon.com/Broan-PM390-Power-Insert-Silver/dp/B000R9CFL6

Here is an install: http://www.recapturedcharm.com/2010/03/kitchen-chronicles-part-11.html

Thanks!

Mike
Side note: You know that you need to size the overhead hood to the stove, right? Also, the larger hoods will require a source for return air...