PDA

View Full Version : Arachnophobia II

Jeff Myroup
07-19-2012, 2:11 PM
I had some free time yesterday, because it was way to hot to be in the shop, so I decided to burn another spider. This one was more of a challenge because of the curve of the bowl. I used acrylics on this one instead of pencils. Overall I am pretty happy with the results.

The first photo is the completed burn. The next 2 are the finished piece. One the lacquer dries, I will cut back the gloss on the bowl and use high gloss on the spider to add to the illusion.

Tim Rinehart
07-19-2012, 2:27 PM
I love it Jeff!! Keep it up man, these are better than the illusions using the mirrored vessels that appear to have a coin floating on top!

Roger Chandler
07-19-2012, 2:32 PM
Are you going to do one with snakes next? :eek: :D Do you remember that old song back in the late sixties/early 70's that went" I don't like spiders and snakes........." That came to my mind when I saw this........geez Jeff, that thing looks absolutely real!!! :eek:

I may not like spiders and snakes, but I am sure liking this work you are doing and getting a big laugh out of it at the same time!

Superb pyrography!!!

Deane Allinson
07-19-2012, 2:46 PM
If you entertain requests, I like these..
Deane

Scott Hackler
07-19-2012, 2:55 PM
Very cool Jeff. I sure wish I had the ability to burn photo realistic images. For now I just turn it all the way up and "brand away"! :)

Jeff Myroup
07-19-2012, 3:27 PM
I love it Jeff!! Keep it up man, these are better than the illusions using the mirrored vessels that appear to have a coin floating on top!

Thanks Tim.

Are you going to do one with snakes next? :eek: :D Do you remember that old song back in the late sixties/early 70's that went" I don't like spiders and snakes........." That came to my mind when I saw this........geez Jeff, that thing looks absolutely real!!! :eek:

I may not like spiders and snakes, but I am sure liking this work you are doing and getting a big laugh out of it at the same time!

Superb pyrography!!!

I remember that song. Thanks Roger. When I get some time I want to try my hand at a scorpion.

If you entertain requests, I like these..
Deane

Deane, I plan on doing a series of these. I have plans to use the black and yellow garden spider. I need to find some in the yard and shoot some pictures

Very cool Jeff. I sure wish I had the ability to burn photo realistic images. For now I just turn it all the way up and "brand away"! :)

Thanks Scott, If you can brand you can do this. Just turn the heat down ;)

David DeCristoforo
07-19-2012, 3:29 PM
I was just getting a grip on your uncannily realistic dog portraits and you wade in with these....

I absolutely despise spiders! Not "scared" of them... just don't like them! So these spiders of yours give me the creeps. The fact that they are so realistic does not ameliorate the feeling one little bit. I want to rave about the artistry your work exhibits but all I can get out is AHHHHHH... SPIDERS!!!!! Yeech!

Bob Bergstrom
07-19-2012, 3:30 PM
That is "SCARY AWESOME" It just keeps getting better and I get to see them in person.

Bob Bergstrom
07-19-2012, 5:05 PM
It would be neat to create the web behind the spider like Deane has pictured. Maybe even an insect stuck in the web. Such cruel thoughts.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Rick Markham
07-19-2012, 5:14 PM
That's absolutely incredible!

Doug W Swanson
07-19-2012, 6:10 PM
Wow! Beautiful!

Jeff Myroup
07-19-2012, 9:12 PM
Thanks Guys.

John M. Smith
07-19-2012, 9:17 PM
Will you have either of these spiders at Turn on Chicago? I hope so. would love to see them in person.

Jeff Myroup
07-19-2012, 9:20 PM
This bowl will be at TOC along with the Mona Lisa plate and the bowl I just post with the maple leaf on it. I was not happy with the first one so it will stay home

Bernie Weishapl
07-19-2012, 9:41 PM
Just beautiful Jeff.

Scott Lux
07-19-2012, 10:18 PM
I only wish I could afford to collect. This would bid pretty high pretty fast! Fantastic.

Josh Bowman
07-19-2012, 10:37 PM
Jeff, the legs of your spiders look so real, it really tricks the eye. I wish I could see one close up. I think you've found a niche.

Jeff Myroup
07-19-2012, 10:48 PM
Thanks guys. Alan Carter is pushing me to develop these. We had a pretty good talk the other night. So you will be seeing more of this type stuff in the future

Ron Bontz
07-19-2012, 11:32 PM
That is just absolutely awesome. I would love to have one of those just to set in the middle of my kitchen table. Just under that last piece of fruit. Waiting to see who would bite. :):)

Kathy Marshall
07-19-2012, 11:43 PM
That's even better than the last one! Even looking at the close up, I'd still swear that was a real spider. I'd love to see it in person, but I'd really love to see the reaction of someone else seeing it in person and not knowing it was burned and penciled in! :eek: I think you need to arrange to have a camera ready when it first goes on display!

Len Mullin
07-20-2012, 12:44 AM
Amazingly beautiful, and so lifelike.
Len

James Roberts
07-20-2012, 2:29 PM
I gathered from DD's post he doesn't care for spiders. I don't mind them and love looking at the real thing and marveling at the realism of your work. As long as you don't try to do RATS I will contine to enjoy these pieces. I hate rats...

Jeff Myroup
07-20-2012, 4:19 PM
Thanks Jim, don't worry, no rats. - might try some other things though

James Roberts
07-20-2012, 10:35 PM
Bees and wasps too.

Jeff Myroup
07-20-2012, 10:42 PM
I have some designs in mind for a wasp. :)

Bob Bergstrom
07-21-2012, 6:51 PM
I got to see -Arachnophobia-II today at the Illiana Woodturners Board Meeting. We had a good time scaring each other with it and spider stories and jokes. It looks every bit as good in person. Made everyone a little sceemish though.

Sid Matheny
07-21-2012, 10:28 PM
All your burns are wonderful but these spiders are just unbelievably real!

Sid

Steve Schlumpf
07-21-2012, 11:34 PM
Amazing work Jeff! Love the realism! Looking forward to seeing what other designs you come up with!

Jeff Myroup
07-22-2012, 11:00 AM
Thanks Bob and Sid

Jeff Myroup
07-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Thanks Steve, I want incorporate some webbing in the future.